McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Steven
Owner

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

Pic by scarbstech

GoranF1

the rear wing whit TR&Merc style endplates did not work and was not used for Q and Race.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Muulka

Gone
Last edited by Muulka on 23 Sep 2016, 19:08, edited 2 times in total.

wesley123

ArgyrisB wrote:Yeah maybe that's the case.

But I think that the particular louvres act like an "endplate-less" wing each one of them create a small edge vortex and all of them merge into a bigger one. If I find time I want to run a CFD simulation with and without such louvres.
That is not the case. The louvres are to reduce the strength of the vortex, not create one.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mclaren111

f1i.com
TARGETED DEVELOPMENT FOR 2017?

While F1 teams and their design offices are very much focussed on 2017 and the planned rules revolution, novelties continue to pop up every now and then on the current chassis. This is first of all due to longer manufacturing cycles for midfield outfits like Haas, Manor, and Sauber. Secondly, Singapore was the first in a series of long-haul events taking place far from European-based factories. What’s more, some teams like McLaren continue their development programme in fields they deem relevant for next year.

To some extent, the front wing is one of these areas. Granted, it will gain 15cm in width but the increase is almost proportional to the car’s tracks (+9% for the wing, +11% for the distance between the wheels). This means the wing endplates will more or less continue to line up with the front wheels. While the wider Pirelli tyres will affect the middle section of the front wing, where the all-important Y250 vortex is generated, its new arrow-like shape should not change fundamentally the way it operates.

“It is more a visual change,” Renault chassis technical director Nick Chester told F1i. “Teams will still be trying to achieve something with the front wing – how it works with the wake from the front tyre – but the swept back is not a huge difference.”

The new regulations have not really streamlined the front wing installation, nor limit the number of components it comprises, this despite over-sophistication being part of the reason why F1 drivers struggle to follow another car in front closely. At any rate, the wing example shows it might be a clever option to continue developing the existing concepts instead of starting from a blank canvas.
Good article & pictures

GoranF1

Jef Patat

Honda have earmarked development tokens to be spent in Malaysia to allow a big upgrade to the engine. With the turbo, MGU and inlet system all now optimal, it’s expected that a lean burn technology will be the result of this development.

GoranF1

Jef Patat wrote:
Honda have earmarked development tokens to be spent in Malaysia to allow a big upgrade to the engine. With the turbo, MGU and inlet system all now optimal, it’s expected that a lean burn technology will be the result of this development.
So far this year in all reports before PU upgrade there were "big" talks and expectations...this time its strangly quiet.

Jef Patat

Indeed, it's the first I hear of it.

Thunder

The new FW and RW trialed last Race are back. https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 7130257408 Image

Edit: More by AMuS:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Jef Patat

is that bird pooh on the floor? :lol:

No serious, it looks like some sensor, and on both sides. Anyone an idea?

Jef Patat

Alonso to test updated Honda, start rear of grid

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alons ... id-831110/

GoranF1

Jef Patat wrote:Alonso to test updated Honda, start rear of grid

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alons ... id-831110/
Only friday for sure or maybe he keeps it for the race?