2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

So tomorrow it's Lewis, Nico, Max on softs and Dan on the SuperSoft?

Morteza

Mansell89 wrote:So tomorrow it's Lewis, Nico, Max on softs and Dan on the SuperSoft?
Yes!

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

justmoi
justmoi

Juzh wrote:On the other note, 36.7 is quite slow. mid 35s for pole I'd say.
Hows 1.34.9s for ya? :)

jknights
jknights

Only the race result counts unless the stewards intervene!!
Last edited by jknights on 23 Oct 2016, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.

iotar__

- 0,5 between Merc and RB - predictable, slightly bigger than expected
- Red Bull - split tyre strategies but rather weirdly, why not give softs to the quicker driver, the one closer to Merc? He stays behind after start + x laps and then what? Before you ask, they knew who'd be quicker.
- Hulkenberg - close enough to Ferraris.

Racer X

I think Telmex is damaging it's own driver when they set out Celis to use up Sergio Pérez's practice time on Fridays.

He looses about 1 second to Hulk on week ends thay Celis takes the wheel.

I've noticed this.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

basti313
basti313

iotar__ wrote:- 0,5 between Merc and RB - predictable, slightly bigger than expected
On which times are you basing your expectations? FP times would suggest lower time difference, but the season so far suggest more difference.
To me the problem is the tire: On the SS the Bulls might be 0.5sec away. But on the S both Merc drivers bottled the Q2 lap with at least a laptime deficit of 0.3sec. To me it looks like at least 0.8sec on the S and Merc on the S faster than a Bull on the SS.
iotar__ wrote:- Red Bull - split tyre strategies but rather weirdly, why not give softs to the quicker driver, the one closer to Merc? He stays behind after start + x laps and then what? Before you ask, they knew who'd be quicker.
They have to profit from the usual bad start or first corner crash, otherwise the SS strategy is pointless. And it makes only sense for the driver starting in front, driving with the SS behind you teammate on S is more than stupid.
So I think using Ric was a good choice. He starts better and may have the chance to attack P1 in the initial laps and make the Merc use his tires. Or undercut.
On the other hand I do not see much benefit from the S for Ves. Running on P4 I do not see much chance to gap the cars behind and he will inevitably end up in traffic. This is a strategy for the disappearing Mercs, nothing for a podium contender in the pack.
iotar__ wrote:- Hulkenberg - close enough to Ferraris.
But, as usual, surely not on race pace.
I do not expect too much. If the Mercs make it through turn one on 1/2, they will disappear. I do not expect the Bulls to have the pace to attack them. The same for Bulls vs. Ferrari vs. FI. Maybe a little bit of spicing up due to the Bull on Soft, but in the end the differences are too big if nothing happens at the start.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SectorOne

Some wonderful shots from the high-speed esses today. I still haven´t fully grasped that next years cars will be on a completely different level.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

RedNEO

SectorOne wrote:Some wonderful shots from the high-speed esses today. I still haven´t fully grasped that next years cars will be on a completely different level.

The important thing is if they can go faster in race mode. I don't want to see extreme fuel/tyre saving like we have been getting, I want the drivers to be aloud to push all race.

Juzh

justmoi wrote:
Juzh wrote:On the other note, 36.7 is quite slow. mid 35s for pole I'd say.
Hows 1.34.9s for ya? :)
34.999, but yeah. Tbh i had low 35s in mind initially but merc sandbagged a bit higher than usual in FPs.

jknights
jknights

RedNEO wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Some wonderful shots from the high-speed esses today. I still haven´t fully grasped that next years cars will be on a completely different level.

The important thing is if they can go faster in race mode. I don't want to see extreme fuel/tyre saving like we have been getting, I want the drivers to be aloud to push all race.
I look forward to seeing real racing, not the pit wall strategy and com.sims games that we have at present.

krisfx
krisfx

jknights wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

I look forward to seeing real racing, not the pit wall strategy and com.sims games that we have at present.
This won't change.

Mark4211

My latest one!

Annotated wheel adjustments: Pole position lap - USA 2016
https://vimeo.com/188451131

SR71

jknights wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Pit wall strategy and best simulation execution is real racing. Welcome to 2016.

Welcome to f1.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

So there's been a rule clarification regarding Verstappen's questionable defending tactics.
James Allen wrote:“Article 27.5 of the Sporting Regulations states that “…no car may be driven…in a manner which could be potentially dangerous to other drivers…”, furthermore, Article 27.8 prohibits any manoeuvre “…liable to hinder other drivers, such as…any abnormal change of direction”.

With this in mind, and with the exception of any move permitted by Article 27.6, any change of direction under braking which results in another driver having to take evasive action will be considered abnormal and hence potentially dangerous to other drivers. Any such move will be reported to the stewards.”
Autosport ran an article quoting Verstappen commenting on numerous complaints from his fellow drivers, saying "It's funny. I just listen to it." Although I find that attitude less than funny, the title picture they use is.