2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

Thanks to everyone. I suspected it would be swung more in hamilton's favour but didn't know by how much exactly.

Big Mangalhit

Funny enough if you had gone full Ros side, giving him the win in Spa, the 3 points in britain, and the win in spain. He would still be trailing some 15 points, quite hard to recover from that, but possible ofc.

Although making this graphs is just asking iotar to come here and explain again why merc is hampering Nico's chances and claiming monaco should've been nico's points cause of "team orders"

Fulcrum

The net result being, Hamilton's 'golf handicap' is approximately 1 DNF / 1 win; they're interchangeable quantities to some extent considering how dominant this car is. I.e. Hamilton suffering 1 more DNF than Rosberg would put them on a similar level of points, more than 1 DNF puts Hamilton behind Rosberg - similar to the current situation (Hamilton with 1 more outright DNF, the grid penalty, plus smaller issues).

I thought Rosberg might be benefiting from the current points system. Here are their points totals (2014-2016) assuming different points systems.

Current

Hamilton = 1045
Rosberg = 970
Rosberg as a (%) of Hamilton = 92.82%

The {10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1} Era

Hamilton = 427
Rosberg = 403
Rosberg as a (%) of Hamilton = 94.38%

The {10,6,4,3,2,1} Era

Hamilton = 383
Rosberg = 344
Rosberg as a (%) of Hamilton = 89.82%

For 2016 only the current system tallies it as 305-331; vs. 124-134 {10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1} ; vs. 106-118 {10,6,4,3,2,1}.

Systems emphasising winning favour Hamilton. 106-118 is the most one-sided scoreline on paper but, with 3 races to go, 3 wins for Hamilton using this scoring system would guarantee victory. Under the other systems, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd would be enough for Rosberg.

SiLo

It's a shame Hamilton retired in Malaysia, another tight title race like 2014 is just what we needed after last year.
Felipe Baby!

ringo

I think Nico's DNF is just around the corner.
He will find some way to fluff it up once Max is involved. The redbull is getting more competitive as the season ends and Max seems to be even more care free. The two will clash again.
For Sure!!

dans79

ringo wrote:I think Nico's DNF is just around the corner.
He will find some way to fluff it up once Max is involved. The redbull is getting more competitive as the season ends and Max seems to be even more care free. The two will clash again.
I actually hope for this, because if Nico is going to win it has to be on merit, not luck.
197 104 103 7

De Jokke

dans79 wrote:
ringo wrote:I think Nico's DNF is just around the corner.
I actually hope for this, because if Nico is going to win it has to be on merit, not luck.
I think lots of people hope for this in order to contain the excitement until the very last race.
Even if he dnf's he still has more luck than Lewis in terms of reliability.
+ 3 roberg tracks coming up...
If Lewis does pull this off, it'll be a darn good job he did but I'm afraid we'll see two reliable mercs until the end of the season with Nico clinching his first title due to hamilton's misfortune...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

GPR-A duplicate2

De Jokke wrote:+ 3 roberg tracks coming up...
Sakhir, Spa, Monza, Singapore and Suzuka were all Lewis tracks until this year. So? And even in such a lucky year as this for Nico, Hungary, Malaysia and US remains Lewis tracks. Until last year, Austria was a Nico track.

ringo

I wonder if the malaysia engine failure was some kind of balance imposed by the team or FIA because mercedes took advantage of the loop hole to give lewis 3 new engines at once?
Its a tin foil hat theory but i feel it would appear lewis got away with murder if he didnt have the retirement and then the season ends with rogerg being the one paranoid about engines.
For Sure!!

ClarkBT11

ringo wrote:I wonder if the malaysia engine failure was some kind of balance imposed by the team or FIA because mercedes took advantage of the loop hole to give lewis 3 new engines at once?
Its a tin foil hat theory but i feel it would appear lewis got away with murder if he didnt have the retirement and then the season ends with rogerg being the one paranoid about engines.
Definitely tin foil hat theory, I'm sure Hamilton would be happy not needing to take any new engines at all.

elf341

Some people point to Rosberg's apparent inability to overtake Lewis on track as evidence of extreme inferiority. Whilst yes, it's clear that this is a weakness of his, it doesn't necessarily mean he is not world champion material. Rosberg has many strengths, for example he is amazingly consistent and his qualifying is incredible, even winning the qualifying medal in 2014. Some have remarked that he is a technical driver in the mold of Prost rather the raw instinctual talent of a Hamilton/Alonso/Senna.

Also, some have suggested he has been mentally weak in the past, but I don't see it that way. He has stood up to two of the sport's great virtuosos Schumacher and Hamilton, and whilst being shown lacking in the last two years hasn't shrunk into a fetal ball like a Barichello.

One has to admit that less talented individuals have won the world championship. Rosberg would have benefited greatly from the refueling formula where overtakes were avoided through strategy. This year he has gained more balls and pulled off some great passes, sadly some of these were penalized (imo too harshly in some circumstances)

Pierce89

elf341 wrote:Some people point to Rosberg's apparent inability to overtake Lewis on track as evidence of extreme inferiority. Whilst yes, it's clear that this is a weakness of his, it doesn't necessarily mean he is not world champion material. Rosberg has many strengths, for example he is amazingly consistent and his qualifying is incredible, even winning the qualifying medal in 2014. Some have remarked that he is a technical driver in the mold of Prost rather the raw instinctual talent of a Hamilton/Alonso/Senna.

Also, some have suggested he has been mentally weak in the past, but I don't see it that way. He has stood up to two of the sport's great virtuosos Schumacher and Hamilton, and whilst being shown lacking in the last two years hasn't shrunk into a fetal ball like a Barichello.

One has to admit that less talented individuals have won the world championship. Rosberg would have benefited greatly from the refueling formula where overtakes were avoided through strategy. This year he has gained more balls and pulled off some great passes, sadly some of these were penalized (imo too harshly in some circumstances)
Nico is much better than his father, who won the '81 WDC. So yeah plenty of drivers with less talent than Rosberg have won it. Some might even mention Raikkonen.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

PhillipM wrote:Probably have another win if his team-mate hadn't rammed him off the road in Spain too...
Or... he would've had a second place and be only 1 point down if Lewis had kept his cool on the first lap....
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

PhillipM

Well, it's pretty obvious he wasn't going to come second since he was happy to ram people off the road when they overtake to get first...

GPR-A duplicate2

Pierce89 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:Probably have another win if his team-mate hadn't rammed him off the road in Spain too...
Or... he would've had a second place and be only 1 point down if Lewis had kept his cool on the first lap....
And that is how you become a great driver. Look in front that the car is derating and don't bother going for overtake. Right.