Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
krisfx
krisfx

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

FW17 wrote:Let us see what Bernie does, he must be on call with Nikki ............................

MV - Fast in both Quali and Race

SV - Probably the only driver on the grid who can beat LH in Quali and will win all races starting from pole doing those magic first few laps. Will probably start taking only in german to irritate LH

FA - Fast in race but will have to rely on undercut to get ahead which will not happen with Merc Protocol

VB - Unknown, but maybe in the same level as NR
Why would Vettel talk only in German?

Peter1919
Peter1919

I think we just found out why Wherlein has not been signed to a team for next season, Merc were keeping him as a back up option

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

You should read up on the other reply's that discussed that quite a lot now, and how there's slim chance he'll actually be the 2017 driver.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ringo

Bottas is managed by Toto is he?
I feel he has a strong chance to get the seat.
For Sure!!

TAG

Manoah2u wrote:You should read up on the other reply's that discussed that quite a lot now, and how there's slim chance he'll actually be the 2017 driver.
You must be pretty confident about the stoutness of that limb you're going out on there.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ScottB
ScottB

Peter1919 wrote:I think we just found out why Wherlein has not been signed to a team for next season, Merc were keeping him as a back up option
Go check out Lauda's comments, Mercedes didn't see this coming.

Pascal doesn't have a seat yet, true, though it's been strongly hinted at, most recently by the BBC, that it's because he's a bit of an asshole, hence Force India choosing Occon and Manor not in a mad rush to keep him.

Doesn't mean he won't still get the Merc drive, of course...

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport, Wolff set out the options the German marque has – but said that trying to lure a top driver away from a rival team was not his favoured course of action.

“We have three roads that we can follow,” said Wolff. “The first is to think about having a number one and a number two, a bit like Ferrari at the time of [Michael] Schumacher and [Felipe] Massa. We can take a driver who can guarantee us points in the constructors’ championship.

“The second school of thought is to make use of our junior drivers, Ocon or Wehrlein. After all, other teams have taken a chance on guys like [Max] Verstappen or [Stoffel] Vandoorne.

“The third path is to go on the market for a top driver.”

Vladimir
Vladimir

This new situation is ideal for promote Wehrlein,because Mercedes need driver who can't cope with Luis so quick in first races,but can achive great results.
They no need another 2016 season, with so much tension.
Alonso is not good choise, and he also admited that he wiil stay at McLaren.
I think, he will be make another mistake, because Mercedes will loose advantage next year.

GM7

In my opinion Ocon and Wehrlein are so young and inexperienced to go to Mercedes. In addition Ocon has a contract with Force India and Wehrlein is a little bit disappointing against Ocon who started his season 7 races ago.

I think it could be a good choice for Mercedes to choose an "old driver" like Alonso or Grosjean. They are more than 30 years, they are looking for a better car, they are fast (incredibly fast in Alonso case) and know how to develop a car. They can drive for Mercedes 2 or 3 year before being replace by Ocon or Wehrlein.
I'm quite sure Alonso will take his retire at the end of the 2017 or 2018 season. And Grosjean could probably replace Raikkonen for the 2018 or 2019 season or take his retire too.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Did i suggest they take Perez who has matured since his Mcl days and still fast and put Wehrlein next to Ocon in the FI to compete head to head with eachother.

Grosjean
Grosjean

The best options for Mercedes are Bottas, Perez, Hulkenberg or Grosjean. All of them are quick enough to win races and have the experience to handle being in a top team. It would be relatively cheap to buy out their contracts compared to an Alonso or Vettel and they would not instantly have an argument with Lewis.

My order would be:
1. Grosjean (Most marketable)
2. Hulkenberg (German)
3. Perez (Possibly the strongest driver)
4. Bottas (Used to Merc engines but is very boring and would love being the number 2 to Lewis)

I just don't think that they can risk Wherlein as if RB or another team is as quick then they need two very good drivers to win the constructors.

PlatinumZealot

As a Hamilton fan i want Bottas as a partner. He is experienced, knows how to get on the podium and has done his fair share of time at the front. He is solid enough to bring home the points unlike Hekki was, and as a bonus he is not a threat to Lewis. I just want a year where Lewis gets the Schumacher treatment. Number one driver demolishing win and pole records. Please answer my prayers Toto (you bastard).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

cooken
cooken

PlatinumZealot wrote:As a Hamilton fan i want Bottas as a partner. He is experienced, knows how to get on the podium and has done his fair share of time at the front. He is solid enough to bring home the points unlike Hekki was, and as a bonus he is not a threat to Lewis. I just want a year where Lewis gets the Schumacher treatment. Number one driver demolishing win and pole records. Please answer my prayers Toto (you bastard).
Ew. Are you anti-racing? Those numbers are bs if there is no challenge. We need to have an actual race for the win, as soon as the racing shifts from 1st to 2nd or lower a big chunk of the excitement evaporates.

Bottas to me is pretty likely but I disagree with the assertion that he won't be a threat. Given the regulation changes, I say they'll want someone trustworthy who can help develop the car. Lewis has plenty of experience no doubt but a second source of feedback is invaluable.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

ScottB wrote:
Peter1919 wrote:I think we just found out why Wherlein has not been signed to a team for next season, Merc were keeping him as a back up option
Go check out Lauda's comments, Mercedes didn't see this coming.

Pascal doesn't have a seat yet, true, though it's been strongly hinted at, most recently by the BBC, that it's because he's a bit of an asshole, hence Force India choosing Occon and Manor not in a mad rush to keep him.

Doesn't mean he won't still get the Merc drive, of course...
Wherlin is the back up option if they don't get who they want, even then they might go with Occon.
Personally If I had to choose for keeping things stable at Mercedes i.e. not set Lewis off (who they will need if RBR get the aero spot on) ?
1. Kimi
2. Bottas
3. Hulkenberg
4. Button
Or if I'm after the headlines and drama - Vettel Or Alonso.

nevill3

I don't understand all this speculation about Mercedes getting a driver who "will not antagonize Lewis". Mercedes are there for the constructors title and after being able to manage Lewis and Nico any driver coming in would have to adhere to the rules laid down by Mercedes regarding on track collisions etc. A driver to push Lewis would be more preferable than one who just tours the circuits and collects a few points regularly.

Nico was a fast reliable driver who rarely made mistakes and was dependable. Any driver for Mercedes next year would have to be either the same or an improvement.

Personally I would love to see Alonso next to Hamilton again, but the rumours I have heard point to it being Bottas who will get first refusal. With Ron Dennis gone from McLaren maybe Alonso could be tempted away but that would probably take a serious amount of money to achieve.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978