Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Nico Rosberg to retire from F1 (!)

basti313 wrote:
Postmoe wrote:I find it surprising to see the amount of reasons people try to find to explain Rosberg's retirement.

He became a father, isn't that enough?

It would be for me, and I understand him perfectly, having being in his shoes. This was something exotic in the past, I know, but I believe it's more and more usual for a father to feel compelled to be present the first year of your kid at least.
This is also the most understandable reason for me. I have to travel around 4-5 days every second week and this is so annoying. Before I had my child it was adventure, now it is pain.
For the same reason I can not picture Vettel to do this any longer if the success will not come back.
Supposed Vettel's child was planned though.. It might had been a groupie he got pregnant. And with that his fathering duties might only go as far as paying the child support each month. Lol
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

PlatinumZealot

The_table wrote:Agree, i expected Hamiltion to start his reconciliation with Rosberg about 2 nanoseconds after he retires but he just HAD to be a dick about it...what a shame.
What is so dickish about that?
If u spent EIGHTEEN years of your life trying to climb a mountain and you finally make it to the top.. What do you do? Spend another eighteen years to do it again or be proud of your acbievement and call it a day. ham knows it another long shot for Nico to do it again. And nico knows this.

Restomaniac

GrandAxe wrote:
"A few hours before the public announcement, he told us by phone," the Austrian said. "I took the news badly, I didn't expect it, nobody in Mercedes thought that he had had enough.

"At first I didn't believe it. 'Nico, what you told us, are you kidding? Is it a joke?' But he said it was all true. Quite incredible.

"When I won the first title I immediately thought about how I would win a second. That's not the case with Nico. His decision has left us disorientated and unprepared, and all those who contributed to Nico winning the world title took it very badly."
- Niki Lauda

http://www.aol.co.uk/sport/2016/12/03/h ... ays-lauda/
I imagine that is as close to the real reaction as we are likely to see.
Merc have to paint it as 'no problems' but if as Lauda states Merc didn't see this coming and Rosberg dropped it on them out of the blue then it speaks plenty about Nico Rosberg.

Some who have been defending Merc and Rosberg after Sunday are frantically trying to spin it. Lauda's comments however are damning. He has left his former team in disarray now he has what he wanted. His decision isn't about his family as Rosbeg himself admitted that without the WDC he wouldn't have done this.

Cometh the hour cometh the man. At Rosberg's hour we see exactly who and what he is.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 04 Dec 2016, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

zeph

PlatinumZealot wrote:
The_table wrote:Agree, i expected Hamiltion to start his reconciliation with Rosberg about 2 nanoseconds after he retires but he just HAD to be a dick about it...what a shame.
If u spent EIGHTEEN years of your life trying to climb a mountain and you finally make it to the top.. What do you do? Spend another eighteen years to do it again or be proud of your acbievement and call it a day. ham knows it another long shot for Nico to do it again. And nico knows this.
Yes. And Hamilton could have been graceful about it, but he chose to be a jerk instead. How insecure is that?

Everybody knows Hamilton has Rosberg beat, all things being equal. He did not need to point that out. He could just have acted like he had some class and say something nice about Rosberg's retirement.

Manoah2u

GrandAxe wrote:
"A few hours before the public announcement, he told us by phone," the Austrian said. "I took the news badly, I didn't expect it, nobody in Mercedes thought that he had had enough.

"At first I didn't believe it. 'Nico, what you told us, are you kidding? Is it a joke?' But he said it was all true. Quite incredible.

"When I won the first title I immediately thought about how I would win a second. That's not the case with Nico. His decision has left us disorientated and unprepared, and all those who contributed to Nico winning the world title took it very badly."
- Niki Lauda

suckerpunch it is thus.
yep, this puts Lewis in a mightily strong position.

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

tonmeister

zeph wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Yes. And Hamilton could have been graceful about it, but he chose to be a jerk instead. How insecure is that?

Everybody knows Hamilton has Rosberg beat, all things being equal. He did not need to point that out. He could just have acted like he had some class and say something nice about Rosberg's retirement.
My thoughts exactly...

PlatinumZealot

zeph wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

He did say Nice things about Nico. I implore you to watch the interview.

NathanOlder

The haters only see the bad. They always ignore the good in Lewis.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zeph

:D
And the fanbois?

zeph

PlatinumZealot wrote:
zeph wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

He did say Nice things about Nico. I implore you to watch the interview.
I read the transcript. Yes, he said nice things. But the "18 years" comment negated all of that.

He is a three-time champ and second only to Schu in terms of wins. How insecure must he be if he feels he still needs to assert his superiority with such a cheap parting shot?

NathanOlder

I didnt take it as a nasty dig, he was just giving his reason as to why he thinks Nico quit. Its the first time in 18 years he has beat Lewis, so he simply said that.

Nothing more to it. But you keep looking for the negatives and carry on bashing.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ME4ME

Here is an idea: Isn't Alonso actually paid by Honda? Could he be contracted to Honda? Honda were supposed to supply more then a single team. Bernie could sue them for not doing so, yet he hasn't. That doesn't mean he couldn't, and use it as leverage.. Partnering Alonso with Hamilton at Mercedes would be great for the show, so he might have some incentive to make a few calls to Honda.

One can hope..

PlatinumZealot

Mandrake

Manoah2u wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

- Niki Lauda

suckerpunch it is thus.
yep, this puts Lewis in a mightily strong position.

https://media.giphy.com/media/QMkPpxPDYY0fu/giphy.gif
tbh, if MErc don't screw up completely next year, they could put anyone into their car and still win WCC and WDC. Maybe not as dominantly but in the end the result will be the same. Which would then speak even more for the quality of the Brand and Car.

zeph

PlatinumZealot wrote:@zeph

https://youtu.be/7b2zqhgCGfU
Thanks. Doesn't change my opinion, though.