Silly Season 2016/2017

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Silly Season 2016/2017

I know

But if they are talking Fernando, then I think Daniel or Max would be easier.

Gerhardsa

Not if that means giving that very "known" advantage you have to your closest rival. I wont.

If the deal was the same both ways (engines for Alonso or engines for Daniel/Max ), Merc would still go Fernando and leave RB with their "tag" Renault engines. (for obvious "Adrian Newey" reasons)

Would work better long term as well, cause by the time Alonso's 2-3year deal at Merc is done. Dan/Max's RB contracts will be more or less up as well, and with both still young in 2-3 years time ( and granted Merc is still in front with their car), it will be time to open up the cheque book to them.

Many ifs and maybes in there....

Manoah2u

jonas_linder wrote:Manoah2u: I've seen you go on about lewis hangover during tire testing. I'm curious, where does your theory about hangover come from? The race was on Sunday 27 and the testing was on Tuesday 29, quite a hangover? (Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... tyres.html)
it did not come from me, it was mentioned by another member in the tire thread as a possible explenation instead of the ongoing consensus that there might have been something else going on in regards to the aftermath of the team stating they concider 'disciplinary actions' against Lewis for his AbuDhabi 'behaviour on track'.
Either way, it was stated Lewis couldn't continue because he felt bad/sick/something in those lines.
based on that, it was assumed it might be a hangover.

to be honest, i rather used it as a metaphor to mention yet another point on why Mercedes undoubtly would want to avoid at all costs putting Wehrlein in there but as a last resort.

The argument that they concidered doing it this year in regards to Lewis doesn't really fly far because they literally had no other choice mid-season, and additionally, the car is so dominant this year that they calculated in that they could 'survive' putting him in there mid-season.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FrukostScones

anyone but not PER please.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u

FW17 wrote:I know

Surely not, RedBull has found their golden goose in the form of Max Verstappen, and will stop at nothing to keep him.
Daniel is another superbly strong, confident and capable driver, so they want to keep him very much too - especially
since none of their Toro Rosso alternatives are on Daniel's level, so there is no way they want to let either go.
Knowing Vettel did a 'piss' job on them moving to Ferrari, they surely learned from that and hammered the contracts
shut.

Fernando not so much, Fernando can make his own claims and run on his own terms. Hardly put, any team should be glad to hire Alonso so they should just really accept his terms.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:
FW17 wrote:I know

Surely not, RedBull has found their golden goose in the form of Max Verstappen, and will stop at nothing to keep him.
Daniel is another superbly strong, confident and capable driver, so they want to keep him very much too - especially
since none of their Toro Rosso alternatives are on Daniel's level, so there is no way they want to let either go.
Knowing Vettel did a 'piss' job on them moving to Ferrari, they surely learned from that and hammered the contracts
shut.

Fernando not so much, Fernando can make his own claims and run on his own terms. Hardly put, any team should be glad to hire Alonso so they should just really accept his terms.
Actually Daniel is maybe equally as marketable as Fernando. Daniel is the funny guy in the paddock. the guy is hilarious. The guy that 'always' smiles, is an absolute racer, has raw pace. It's one of those drivers that can win a championship imo. Of all drivers, he has the most resemblance to Lewis' style. Max is maybe a bit better than Daniel. Next season will truly show how they will pan out against eachother (or not), but I don't see him as marketable as Daniel. He is way more serious compared to Daniel.

Manoah2u

Daniel isn't YET. And thats simply due to the fact he has not gotten a WDC under his belt yet [ 2 compared to Nando ].
Is Daniel highly marketable? Absolutely though.

turbof1

Manoah2u wrote:Daniel isn't YET. And thats simply due to the fact he has not gotten a WDC under his belt yet [ 2 compared to Nando ].
Imagine all of the toothpaste producers knocking on Mercedes their doors:
#AeroFrodo

FW17

WaikeCU wrote:Actually Daniel is maybe equally as marketable as Fernando. Daniel is the funny guy in the paddock. the guy is hilarious. The guy that 'always' smiles, is an absolute racer, has raw pace. It's one of those drivers that can win a championship imo. Of all drivers, he has the most resemblance to Lewis' style. Max is maybe a bit better than Daniel. Next season will truly show how they will pan out against eachother (or not), but I don't see him as marketable as Daniel. He is way more serious compared to Daniel.

If DR goes to Merc neither drivers would be smiling. Driving a championship winning car really take it out on the drivers, specially when the only championship contender is your team mate

WaikeCU

FW17 wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:Actually Daniel is maybe equally as marketable as Fernando. Daniel is the funny guy in the paddock. the guy is hilarious. The guy that 'always' smiles, is an absolute racer, has raw pace. It's one of those drivers that can win a championship imo. Of all drivers, he has the most resemblance to Lewis' style. Max is maybe a bit better than Daniel. Next season will truly show how they will pan out against eachother (or not), but I don't see him as marketable as Daniel. He is way more serious compared to Daniel.

If DR goes to Merc neither drivers would be smiling. Driving a championship winning car really take it out on the drivers, specially when the only championship contender is your team mate

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/ ... IAJ19Y.jpg

http://www.ealingtimes.co.uk/resources/images/5018477/
I don't think so. I believe the DNA, philosophy of a team is different compared to another. Mercedes is entirely different to Red Bull. Red Bull is extreme, silly, fun, active, whereas Mercedes is calm, collective, classy, conservative.

WaikeCU

turbof1 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Daniel isn't YET. And thats simply due to the fact he has not gotten a WDC under his belt yet [ 2 compared to Nando ].
Imagine all of the toothpaste producers knocking on Mercedes their doors:
http://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tena ... =857&y=369
I could only imagine:
Mercedes-Benz Petronas acquires a new toothpaste sponsor as Sensodyne moves account from Mclaren-Honda
:D

ME4ME

GPR-A wrote:In that case why precisely 8 tenths? Why not a few seconds? Don't you think he was talking based on the data available in front of them after those runs?
I obviously can't answer those questions .. who knows. I think Hamilton just picked a plausible number and went for it, knowing that people will read too much into it.

hemichromis

Ricciardo could be more valuable to Mercedes than Alonso as him leaving Red bull would also weaken their (likely) closest competitors.

Holm86

Breaking :
Mercedes calls in Maldonado for an interview on the 2017 race seat

FrukostScones

nah, it won't be Maldonado.
I heard there looking for a Number 2 driver.

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.