Renault Sport F1 R.S.17 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Enstone

Re: Renault Sport F1 R.S.17 Speculation Thread

"We are not building the 2017 car based on the 2016 one, but on the 2015 car – that is a lot of catching-up!"

Glurpsss.... #-o

turbof1

Enstone wrote:"We are not building the 2017 car based on the 2016 one, but on the 2015 car – that is a lot of catching-up!"

Glurpsss.... #-o
That's either badly expressed or badly translated (if coming from French). You can't go anywhere else than from a clean sheet regading 2017. However, experience and knowhow gathered throughout the previous years will still be valuable and lessons learned in these years can be applied on the 2017 car. In the case of Renault, they have little of all of that, with knowledge and experienced mainly gathered from a 2015 car.
#AeroFrodo

GM7

Who knows why a wider nose could be a stronger solution in 2017 ? What are all the advantages of a wider nose ?

Jolle

Enstone wrote:"We are not building the 2017 car based on the 2016 one, but on the 2015 car – that is a lot of catching-up!"

Glurpsss.... #-o
In my view the '16 car is a yellow '15 car with a Renault PU wedged in.

Enstone

turbof1 wrote:

Glurpsss.... #-o
That's either badly expressed or badly translated (if coming from French). You can't go anywhere else than from a clean sheet regading 2017. However, experience and knowhow gathered throughout the previous years will still be valuable and lessons learned in these years can be applied on the 2017 car. In the case of Renault, they have little of all of that, with knowledge and experienced mainly gathered from a 2015 car.
I hope so, cause if we rely on this quote... 2017 can be worst than 2016 for them :mrgreen: (yup it's possible guys :D)
Jolle wrote:

Glurpsss.... #-o
In my view the '16 car is a yellow '15 car with a Renault PU wedged in.
Not only in your view... cuz' that's what she is ! a yellow Lotus e23 with a Renault PU :wink:

Scuderia1967

factory_p wrote:Or maybe this was a pre-study to design a mule car for the Pirelli tests when they tried to evaluate the cost and the gains of getting involved in the tyre tests?
I thought that, too, but then I noticed the car also has the SF-15T nose...

Vasconia

I don´t understand why they should use 2015´s car as base to design the new one, taking into account that the chasis will be very different and that they were using Mercedes PU at that time.

Facts Only

Vasconia wrote:
I don´t understand why they should use 2015´s car as base to design the new one, taking into account that the chasis will be very different and that they were using Mercedes PU at that time.
I think the subtlety of the quote has been lost. They arent using the actual 2015 car as a base, its just that the car didnt evolve from 2015 to 2016 so its still a 2015 car in essence.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Vasconia

Facts Only wrote:
I think the subtlety of the quote has been lost. They arent using the actual 2015 car as a base, its just that the car didnt evolve from 2015 to 2016 so its still a 2015 car in essence.
Ops! Ok, thanks for the additional explanation. I think that they should be cautious designing this car, I mean its more important to stablish a good base to develop rather than to be too adventurous for the upcoming season. The real goal is to have a podium contender car in 2018/2019.

f1316

theriusDR3 wrote:for fuel and lubricants, RENAULT still remain with Total
I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Red Bull switching *away* from Total. I think there's a good degree of potential for Mobil - with no experience of the Renault PU and without the works tie up - to be significantly less developed in terms of a fuel that works with the engine (we've seen that before in 2014 when the same company was working with the Mercedes PU).

I'd therefore be surprised if the PU in the back of the works car is not a little bit more potent than the one in RB (albeit it's unlikely to bridge the performance gap, with greater emphasis on aero again).

SR71

f1316 wrote:
I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Red Bull switching *away* from Total. I think there's a good degree of potential for Mobil - with no experience of the Renault PU and without the works tie up - to be significantly less developed in terms of a fuel that works with the engine (we've seen that before in 2014 when the same company was working with the Mercedes PU).

I'd therefore be surprised if the PU in the back of the works car is not a little bit more potent than the one in RB (albeit it's unlikely to bridge the performance gap, with greater emphasis on aero again).

Perhaps Red Bull's agreement with Renault allows them a bit more access to the code than you're average supplier/customer relationship.

Similar to custom mappings during the V8 era maybe Red Bull wants to remap the "Renault" PU to a different fuel, different molecular structure, etc.

Something about 2016 makes me thing Red Bull and Renault are not running matching spec PU units and Renault might actually be learning from what ever Red Bull is doing since they clearly know more about how to build a PU than Renault does.

Cyril A. Even admitted they had run out of ideas at the end of 2015. Red Bull saved them and are owed.

Vasconia

SR71 wrote:
Cyril A. Even admitted they had run out of ideas at the end of 2015. Red Bull saved them and are owed.
Really? this would be very sad for a car manufacturer. :(

factory_p

SR71 wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Something about 2016 makes me thing Red Bull and Renault are not running matching spec PU units and Renault might actually be learning from what ever Red Bull is doing since they clearly know more about how to build a PU than Renault does.

Hum, it seems a bit extreme mate. Red Bull teaching Renault how to build an engine? Seriously, don't you think they'd be building their own by now if it was the case?

Red Bull probably made man power and facilities available, as well as paying for consultants (Ilmor as rumored) to help. But that doesn't mean they are "better than Renault at making a PU". :lol:

f1316

FYI the above is not quoted directly - I didn't say that.

f1316

Re fuels used by Renault/Red Bull/McLaren, this development confuses me even further:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... re-bp-deal

So I totally get why Renault want to replicate Mercedes' arrangement with Petronas (and I think you can make a similar case for Ferrari and Shell) where this adds a large amount of value all round for both brands whilst also driving success on the track .

What I don't get is how BP can possibly match the Petronas/Shell level of involvement on two PUs (Renault and Honda) and how therefore at least one of them (more likely McLaren/Honda from article's phrasing) won't lose out compared to Mercedes/Ferrari on a fuel side.

The point has been made that Red Bull will likely put the same fuel as Renault in the car, regardless of commercial arrangements with ExonMobil; from a performance perspective, I can only imagine this is the only way to go, but I still find it bizarre from a commercial perspective. I can't see how it will see happily with the board of BP if their fuel is powering a winning car but their rival is getting all the PR value. That completely defeats the point of their involvement in the sport, if you ask me.

On the other hand, if they just put ExonMobil fuel in a Red Bull car with a Renault engine, I suspect it will put them at suboptimal performance - not something synonymous with F1 championships.