McLaren MCL32 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: McLaren MP4-32 Speculation Thread

@ Andres125sx I like you and generally like your comments(regardless if I agree or disagree with them) . I can see you're a big F1 fan and I appreciate that.

You're argument is kind of proving my point. You're taking a small statement and reading alot into it.

The Day Alonzo retires will be a sad day for me.

Marco Alves

astracrazy

wait for it......the car will be orange posts will arrive soon

bauc

astracrazy wrote:wait for it......the car will be orange posts will arrive soon
We've already done that in the team thread :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Pierce89

Andres125sx wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Farfar wrote:
+1
ok fair enough ...what did you get out of the question and answer?

Is there any bar that we can see that needs to be surpassed ? Like the car needs to run a 1:10 @ Spain ?

The question is too open ended and the answer has no measurable requirements. He wants the cars to be faster and harder to drive. Technically that would have happened even without the rule change.

You could actually say the McHonda was alot harder to drive than the Merc and it was alot slower. So what does that statement really mean?

in my opinion..nada.
IMHO he´s refering to something I´ve mentioned more than once, today drivers role is as irrelevant as it can be. Driving to the limit makes a difference between the greatest and the rest, while cruising to take care of the tires can be done by any top driver. Ok there will be differences between them, but then F1 is rewarding the smoother drivers over the fastest or most consistent. Same for fuel saving, today best driver for a F1 team is best manager, not fastest/more consistent driver.

He´s considered one of the best of current grid, by himself too :P so I´m sure this F1 era where best drivers can´t show their talent (exageratting but you get the idea) is very frustrating for him who can´t fight for victories or podiums, but neither can push like crazy. I guess he must be used to drive carefully when there´s a reward like Nico did last GPs to win the title, but driving carefully when there´s no reward is something he´s not used to and must be exasperating

Basically I think he just need some motivation no matter where does it comes, so I´d say some of these conditions should change

a) Cars must be difficult to drive to make a difference between best and the rest again
b) Cars and tires must allow to drive to the limit consistently instead of cruising to nurse the tires
c) Cars must be phisically demanding, even when I think that could be a problem for him, as fitness is very different when we´re 25 years old (when he drove phisically demanding cars) or when we´re 35 as he´ll be next season
d) McHonda must be competitive to fight at least for victories

I think condition d) if obviously the most important, but even if not achieved, if they do a big step forward and cars are fun to drive and demanding again, he´ll be happy to continue

Just my opinion obviously, but I´ve been supporting Alonso since his debut with Minardi and I think I can more or less differ between the usual BS and his real thoughts
I don't think fitness will be an issue at all. The NFL has dozens of 35 year old men that are more athletic than I was when I played the first time I went to college( business degrees suck). As a matter of fact I literally only work out once a week and at 33 my bench and squat maxes aren't far off my college days(pound for pound as I'm 50 pounds lighter due to no longer being a defensive lineman). So, the only problems I expect from Fred next year are car or PU problems.(and hopefully those will be a thing of the past too)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

diffuser

Ha! thought you were a brit.

diffuser

Based on the watch's winder being bright red. I still think the "14" will be red.

WaikeCU

I think I just found the new livery for the car... and it looks astonishing! :o

skoop

WaikeCU wrote:I think I just found the new livery for the car... and it looks astonishing! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymyABeWvZM
Nope, that's just an one time livery to promote the watch.

(Read the last pages of this thread for more info ;))

ollandos

i think the flaps on wings will be orange

Thunder

skoop wrote: Nope, that's just an one time livery to promote the watch.

(Read the last pages of this thread for more info ;))
Team Thread, not here. But yes, it was a one off Livery for the Watch Launch.

But there are Hexagons everywhere lately, so there is a real possibility they are included in one way or another in the Car Livery.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FrukostScones

they are scared of Newey.
reports Owen at autosport forums...
go to MP4-32 thread.. nice story from some fan event.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.