2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Bottas trying to get a head start in the simulator this week.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

astracrazy

NathanOlder wrote:If he is going to renault nexr year, Merc will know this , they will surely heavily back Lewis and keep sensitive info from Bottas as he will take everything he learns with him to Renault. If he has a deal in place for Renault, I cant believe Merc would sign him. Makes more sense to sign Wehrlein or Ocon.
I guess in a way Merc didn't have a choice.

If true it kind of makes sense:
- They have a competitive driver for a year
- They get an extra year to asses Ocon and Wehrlein
- A number of better drivers contracts end next year

The only complication is that if Bottas does well Merc would surely want to keep him, which would mean Renault would have to agree and Merc would have to pay big bucks. I would say Merc already have a plan for 2018 and it doesn't involve Bottas (if a one year contract is true)

ME4ME

Is there actually any source to this Bottas at Renault in 2018 rumour? Which media claims this?

Fulcrum

If Bottas is only on a 1 year contract, then I can only suggest he signed to give himself the realistic opportunity of becoming a race winner. That's as much as he could reasonably hope for under the circumstances.

Webber2011

Wow !
I'm a little surprised at how many people here are writing Bottas off.

This is the chance of his life !
This guy is no muppet, he's had some pretty impressive drives in the Williams.

He will be just as motivated as Lewis to show his stuff, if not more being on only a one year deal.

I'm tipping an upset.

He won't have the knowledge of how the team operates to the level Lewis does, but he will be spending every second at the factory getting to know how they work.
The first few races might be tough not having that advantage, but I can picture Bottas being on Lewis' pace in Quali straight up, and getting the race pace by mid season.

Don't underestimate this bloke.

Just because he's "a bit boring" personality wise, doesn't mean he can't drive the wheels of the Merc' now he's been given this opportunity :wink:

NathanOlder

But if it takes him up to mid season to get on the pace, with a 1 year deal, he's a write off ??
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:But if it takes him up to mid season to get on the pace, with a 1 year deal, he's a write off ??
He's insurance. Always have been. he's not far off to get on the pace, the car's are so different next year and the part that is more or less the same (the PU and electronics) he's used to from Williams. Maybe a very small bit for the first few races with the communication with his engineers etc, but thats it.

Next year Vettel, Alonso and maybe even Ricciardo (especially RIC, he's young and fast, good investment for taking over from HAM) available on the market. It would be nice to be able to make a bid or have negotiations at least. Do they all fall trough, you still have Bottas.

ME4ME

NathanOlder wrote:But if it takes him up to mid season to get on the pace, with a 1 year deal, he's a write off ??
I see no reason why he would be off the pace. It's not like he is a rookie. Also Hamilton hasn't driven the W08 yet either. Bottas should perform well right from the start.

dans79

Cold Fussion wrote: I don't see how it would be a conflict of interest now and not before.
Before he drove for a different team. Now he is driving for the team that his former manager is TP of.
197 104 103 7

dans79

ME4ME wrote:
I see no reason why he would be off the pace. It's not like he is a rookie. Also Hamilton hasn't driven the W08 yet either. Bottas should perform well right from the start.
Hamilton had input into how the car was designed, Bottas did not. The car might not suit his driving style initially, and either he will have to adapt or the car will, and that takes time.
197 104 103 7

ME4ME

dans79 wrote:Hamilton had input into how the car was designed, Bottas did not. The car might not suit his driving style initially, and either he will have to adapt or the car will, and that takes time.
Personally, I don't buy that. Especially this year. There is no base-line for any driver to comment on.

dans79

ME4ME wrote:
dans79 wrote:Hamilton had input into how the car was designed, Bottas did not. The car might not suit his driving style initially, and either he will have to adapt or the car will, and that takes time.
Personally, I don't buy that. Especially this year. There is no base-line for any driver to comment on.
Every team has tendencies, and those tendencies show through regardless of what the rules currently are, for example.

FI - always seems to be good on tires
RBR - High down-force
Williams - Low down-force & low drag
197 104 103 7

Stalker1

Shakeman wrote:I just wonder if the whole Paddy to Williams and James Allison to Merc is part of a Merc grand plan?

There seems to be an almost symbiotic relationship between Williams and Merc, the only thing better than a 1/2 at a grand prix weekend for the Merc board would be a 1/2/3 of Merc powered cars and Williams being the preferred second Merc team.

How far back was Paddy's move planned and did James Allison really leave Ferrari because he wanted to be at home or was planning well ahead for taking up Paddy's position?

The Bottas move further strengthens my view that there is almost a Torro Rosso/Red Bull like relationship developing between Williams and Merc.

Is there a grand plan or just a number of coincidences that have lead to where we are today?
I think that you know up until 2013 or 2014 Wolff was a Williams shareholder before leaving for Mercedes team. I think he is the cause of the link between Williams and Mercedes.

WaikeCU

ME4ME wrote:
No, Lewis hasn't, but I think he has perhaps been in touch with engineers in towards developing the 2017 car. I think Lewis perhaps already had some glimpses, ideas, feedback of engineers regarding what to expect of the car in 2017.
Last edited by WaikeCU on 19 Jan 2017, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

ME4ME

dans79 wrote:
ME4ME wrote:
Every team has tendencies, and those tendencies show through regardless of what the rules currently are, for example.

FI - always seems to be good on tires
RBR - High down-force
Williams - Low down-force & low drag
How is that relevant? What is your point?
WaikeCU wrote:No, Lewis hasn't, but I think he has perhaps been in touch with engineers in towards developing the 2018 car. I think Lewis perhaps already had some glimpses, ideas, feedback of engineers regarding what to expect of the car in 2018.
I guess you mean 2017. Even if the team has shown the concept of the car to Hamilton at an early state, they can give the same information to Bottas before pre-season testing. Untill they drive the car, the drivers won't know how it behaves. Sure, there is simulation but it doesn't deliver the whole truth and even then, Bottas has time to practise in the sim himself.