MotoGP 2017

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
f1316

MotoGP 2017

Didn't see a topic for this so thought I'd start one.

To kick it off, here's something I don't really get:

One of the big areas of focus is Lorenzo adapting to Ducati and how, after being 1.6 seconds off the pace on the first day of the Sepang test, he's seemingly beginning to adapt - Pirro even says he's going to be challenging for the win in Qatar:

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/l ... ro-872042/

But the 1.6 seconds was behind Ducati's own test rider. Now I get Stoner retired for a reason - that he's not your average Joe and all that - but if you have a guy in the garage who can do that, having not contested a gp for years on end, who cares if Lorenzo adapts? Just do everything you can to get him back!

I was going to make a bit of a rambling comparison to Schumacher's 2008 Ferrari test but tbh I don't think it's comparable; I know there are reasons for all this - and probably almost entirely on Casey's side - but it still strikes me as odd that someone so fast is not competing.

Pierce89

Re: MotoGP 2017

I'd still be watching if Stoner was still there.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Cold Fussion

Obviously we have to respect his choice for retiring but I can't help but feel the world is in far worse state having been deprived of a Marquez Stoner batter aboard the Honda.

Andres125sx

Cold Fussion wrote:Obviously we have to respect his choice for retiring but I can't help but feel the world is in far worse state having been deprived of a Marquez Stoner batter aboard the Honda.
+1. That battle would have been amazing

Pierce89

If Stoner was still around, Marquez would just be another alien, winning races but not dominating like he has. He certainly wouldn't have won the championship in his rookie season.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

J.A.W.

Agreed, & if HRC had taken on their top superbike racer Jonathan Rae to replace Dani Pedrosa,
( instead of cutting him loose - to go & win a brace of World Champs for Kawasaki),
they'd have a pair of top flite MotoGP riders, both duking it out for the win..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

f1316

The only thing I'd say - to play devil's advocate - is that whatever motivated Stoner to quit also seemed to affect his performance in 2012. He's still got the pace - as he had back then, given he won 10 races - but he wasn't the same as the previous year and Dani was a match for him.

If whatever issues he had with a full time MGP schedule are still present (and surely they must be or he'd be racing) you wonder if he'd be at his absolute best on a consistent basis.

Cold Fussion

Stoner spent a lot of 2012 complaining about front end 'chatter' issues and had the crash mid seasonish that knocked him out for a couple races; and Pedrosa only really came on strong at the end of the season if remember correctly.

Juzh

Laptimes were pretty mental in testing at philip island.

J.A.W.

World Superbike Champ for Kawasaki J. Rea, made 'superpole' at Phillip Is. with a 1:29.5, or only ~a second slower than
the quickest of those 'mental' times recently set there by the Moto GP boys...

Juzh

J.A.W. wrote:World Superbike Champ for Kawasaki J. Rea, made 'superpole' at Phillip Is. with a 1:29.5, or only ~a second slower than
the quickest of those 'mental' times recently set there by the Moto GP boys...
Quali tires.

J.A.W.

Juzh wrote:Quali tires.
Yeah, Pirelli - not Michelin as Moto GP use..

& Rea is 'easy' on his rubber, as well as fast - he picked up the double win, while others had 'cooked' theirs..

matt21

Not only F1 is about aero

Yamaha

Ducati:

J.A.W.

Final pre-season test results from Losail indicate a fairly even match ( in Qatar, at least) bike-wise,
with Yamaha, Ducati, Honda respectively, in the top 3 postions...

New Yamaha signing M. Vinales is looking like a real rider's Championship contender, - on his pre-season performance..

Andres125sx

What about Suzuki? How are they performing?