2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

So it was true then about the Ferrari talks and rumours.
That is a really sh*t move from Williams then to be honest.
Stupid too as i wouldn't be surprised he doesnt do as much of an effort after that - which could explain his 'slump' when
i think 2014 was pretty well and after that it went downward, 2016 notable to be honest.

You could argue he's better off now, and that probably is true, but that doesnt take away doing a rather sh*tty move on him before.

It also remains to be seen in what shape Merc is in 2017.
Imagine Ferrari surprisingly being the team to beat and Bottas could have been there since 2015/2016 picking the fruits next season.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

proteus

Manoah2u wrote:So it was true then about the Ferrari talks and rumours.
Stupid too as i wouldn't be surprised he doesnt do as much of an effort after that - which could explain his 'slump' when
i think 2014 was pretty well and after that it went downward, 2016 notable to be honest.

You could argue he's better off now, and that probably is true, but that doesnt take away doing a rather sh*tty move on him before.

Imagine Ferrari surprisingly being the team to beat and Bottas could have been there since 2015/2016 picking the fruits next season.
In the end it goes like this: "Eat or be eaten" in F1. Probably Ferrari didnt offer enough money on the table, and on the other hand Mercedes probably hinted they might need him one day. I also believe that Rosbergs quiting was known for some time in the Mercedes team. And to be honest, Bottas has more chances of getting more results in the Mercedes than in the Ferrari, due to both: structural and mechanical aspect. Maybe im wrong, but i agree with most of the people that this year title battle will be fought by Mercedes and Redbull.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

SR71

Manoah2u wrote:So it was true then about the Ferrari talks and rumours.

Williams had a driver under contract. Pretty tough to argue that they were in anyway sh**y towards valteri. Paying him millions and providing a decent race seat counts as sh**y these day?

Williams owed nobody anything and Ferrari didn't have leverage. End of.

PlatinumZealot

Gridlock wrote:Why would you want your '16 car delivered when you've got a year of competing in a '17 to come? And it's not like he can run it anyway. What if he wins a race this year? Which car is he going to want then?

To suggest they withheld a gift seems a bit mean.
There might actually be a rule that he cannot get such a new car to carry home or something like williams protecting technology from being exposed while it is still very relevant. I have a feeling mercedes is taking that engine back too and it is only a rolling chassis with a generic engine fitted.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bill shoe

hemichromis wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:Williams "promised" Bottas release to top F1 team

Williams promised Bottas it would not stand in his way again after blocking his potential move to Ferrari.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/willi ... am-874580/
Williams keeping him from going to Ferrari looks like a big favour now!
For sure yes, Vettel probably wishes he had a team like Williams that would have prevented him from going to Ferrari!

Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
There might actually be a rule that he cannot get such a new car to carry home or something like williams protecting technology from being exposed while it is still very relevant. I have a feeling mercedes is taking that engine back too and it is only a rolling chassis with a generic engine fitted.
Ferrari would pay Felipe more to have a look inside that engine than what they paid him to drive for them all those years combined =D>

FW17

Do you think Williams will give any part of the car that is recent?

The car will have last years chassis, old suspension, no PU and ERS (removed as it will be Mercedes property), a gear casing with no internals and aero elements from many years before.

Vasconia

The new car looks suspiciously similar to 2016s car, and quite underdeveloped in some areas. A quite disappointing presentation if you ask me, if other teams do the same(quite posible) we will be forced to wait to Barcelona, just to realize if the cars are as aggresive and spectacular as it was announced.

LookBackTime

Vasconia wrote:The new car looks suspiciously similar to 2016s car, and quite underdeveloped in some areas. A quite disappointing presentation if you ask me, if other teams do the same(quite posible) we will be forced to wait to Barcelona, just to realize if the cars are as aggresive and spectacular as it was announced.
Take a look a Sauber C36 F1 car! I will use the Lewis H. words: 'It looks like a boat'!

Vasconia

LookBackTime wrote:
Vasconia wrote:The new car looks suspiciously similar to 2016s car, and quite underdeveloped in some areas. A quite disappointing presentation if you ask me, if other teams do the same(quite posible) we will be forced to wait to Barcelona, just to realize if the cars are as aggresive and spectacular as it was announced.
Take a look a Sauber C36 F1 car! I will use the Lewis H. words: 'It looks like a boat'!
I have seen those images. :|

Sevach

I think they'll look better out on track and on TV thanks to being larger, having bigger tires and a more proportional rear wing, on studio photos they are pretty underwhelming though.

I also don't expect any ultra innovative visual changes, just variations of what teams were doing already.

Vasconia

Sevach wrote:

I think they'll look better out on track and on TV thanks to being larger, having bigger tires and a more proportional rear wing, on studio photos they are pretty underwhelming though.

I also don't expect any ultra innovative visual changes, just variations of what teams were doing already.
You are right. Anyway teams like RB, Mercedes or TR should give us some interesting visual variations to enjoy and analize. Don´t think that Sauber and Williams are the best examples on aerodinamic evolution.

LookBackTime

LANCE STROLL: "THE MONEY HAD TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE"
by Fergal Walsh

Lance Stroll has played down the secrecy of his unprecedented private test programme as he prepares to debut in 2017. Stroll's billionaire father, Laurence, was key to getting his son a seat in Formula 1 for 2017.

When it was brought to him that his father's money was instrumental in allowing him a seat at Williams, Stroll admitted: "That was important, of course.

"Without him it would not have been possible. In this sport you need two things: talent and money. Others have sponsors but I have my father -- the money had to come from somewhere," said the 18-year-old.

Many experts believe that Stroll is far from a pay driver, as the Canadian won back-to-back junior series over the last three years, with the most prestigious being the Formula 3 European championship.

There have been suggestions that driver's who do not come from a background of money, such as Lewis Hamilton, are hungrier when it comes to chasing dreams in the sport. Stroll however, disagrees.

"I don't believe that," Stroll insisted. "No matter what I've done, I've always wanted to win. Once you're in the cockpit with the visor closed, it doesn't matter where you came from."

"People are looking more closely," he continued. "They want to know if I deserve the position I'm in. I'm grateful for the chances I've had but only I could win the championships I have -- you can't buy the super license points."

Stroll has been labelled as one of the most experienced rookie in terms of Formula 1 mileage, as the teen has been travelling worldwide driving Williams' 2014 car in preparation for the upcoming season.

"By Christmas I had done four two-day tests and a shakedown at Silverstone. Then Monza, Spielberg, Budapest, Barcelona and most recently in Abu Dhabi. Before the new season there will be a few outside of Europe but there is not yet the agreements with the circuits.

"I think Hamilton and Villeneuve did a lot of kilometres too," Stroll argued. "Everyone has their way of getting used to formula one. Valtteri (Bottas) did the Friday practice sessions."