2016 3 tire compound rules

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Juzh

Re: 2016 3 tire compound rules

zac510 wrote:Is that even possible in a rubber compound? On a sliding racing car we're talking about loads of friction and other forces which make heat. So heating the tyre in some way is practically unavoidable. And all rubber degrades from thermal temperature, it's just the property of rubber. How can you have a chemical compound like rubber not be affected by heat, especially such localised heat on the surface of a tyre?
Bridgestone made it work pretty well.

aleks_ader

Juzh wrote:
zac510 wrote:Is that even possible in a rubber compound? On a sliding racing car we're talking about loads of friction and other forces which make heat. So heating the tyre in some way is practically unavoidable. And all rubber degrades from thermal temperature, it's just the property of rubber. How can you have a chemical compound like rubber not be affected by heat, especially such localised heat on the surface of a tyre?
Bridgestone made it work pretty well.
This. But that is danger being single tire manufacturer. Of course its hard for us outsiders to judge.

From Pirelli side its also reasonable. You had no testing, specially when it rains drivers ate icecream and waits for better days. But then up to them to force FIA and draw line when it is enough. Even for PR imaging i don't thinks they improve their image during this episode in F1.

Its easy apply some quick min/max pressure rules and make shortcuts. In long-run that doesn't work. Make it happen or leave. Cruel to Pirelli, beacuse i m not tire expert. Between lines some problematic points with wets and overheating tires Pirelli before 2017 admit it.

But hey, somewhat at least they don't run away from problem and they embrace the 2017 challenge. So its up to them to make this work finally. My dreams is pushing for 20 laps as mad dog and then pit before you loose juice of tire and still had interesting 2-3 stop strategy vs. track battles with insane power&downforce.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

godlameroso

I echo your sentiments, but I'd like 10-14 laps of pushing like a madman, and 5 laps of managing the tires, before they fall off a cliff.

Invincible tires will just lead to Super Formula like trains. There needs to be some management, but not as much as the tires have had the last few years.
Saishū kōnā

nevill3

The problem Pirelli have is that they have produced tyres that would allow 10-14 laps of aggressive driving followed by a cliff necessitating a pit stop, but the teams also realise that if they treat the tyres more kindly they will get more laps and less pit stops. The optimum strategy is decided upon before the race based on how much degradation occurred during free practice.

It is impossible to construct a tyre to last 10-14 laps only no matter how it is used or abused. The teams will always try to go as long as possible on a set of tyres, I believe next year Pirelli would have had to be conservative with it's tyre construction in view of the huge increases in loads expected by the change in regulations. With lap times also set to fall next year the penalty for being in the pits will increase too, because the percentage of time lost will increase due to the shorter lap times.

The tyres will probably be very durable so even fewer pit stops could happen next year, not Pirelli's fault but having tyres exploding would not be acceptable by any one so erring on the side of safety would be the best bet.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

godlameroso

A compromise I could take would be a mandatory pit stop no later than 70% race distance and no sooner than 30% race distance unless there's a puncture, or weather conditions demand otherwise.
Saishū kōnā

turbof1

Unstickied; 3 tire rule has been around a year now and assumingly everybody is now familiar with it.
#AeroFrodo

godlameroso

turbof1 wrote:Unstickied; 3 tire rule has been around a year now and assumingly everybody is now familiar with it.
Once Pirelli no longer mandates tire compounds why would teams bring anything but the softest compounds? Seeing as the difference will be less than a second and the tires will be more durable, who knows, maybe they'll be sensitive to ambient temperature. Much like the Bridgestones were in 2009
Saishū kōnā

skoop

Is the 3 tire compund rule for the upcoming season valid, or are we back to the pre 16 rules? :?:

F1NAC

skoop wrote:Is the 3 tire compund rule for the upcoming season valid, or are we back to the pre 16 rules? :?:
Same as in 16