Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
n_anirudh

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

I dont think this is a loophole. it is clear in the regulations that this region is free to be exploited. It was up to the aero engineers in the teams to have updated their rule books in Oct2016.

aral

Now that the W08 has been launched, this is just a friendly reminder to restrict comments on this thread to pertinent facts about the actual car. Already there have been several off-topic comments about names etc for the car. Please follow the guidelines.
Thanks

FrukostScones

n_anirudh wrote:I dont think this is a loophole. it is clear in the regulations that this region is free to be exploited. It was up to the aero engineers in the teams to have updated their rule books in Oct2016.
FIA surely does not want such sticks in this area... I say wide open embarrissing loophole.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

n_anirudh

I still dont understand as to why this regulation was changed in Oct 2016.Also the regulations have been updated in Jan 2017. A bit too late in both cases.

Quantum

FrukostScones wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:I dont think this is a loophole. it is clear in the regulations that this region is free to be exploited. It was up to the aero engineers in the teams to have updated their rule books in Oct2016.
FIA surely does not want such sticks in this area... I say wide open embarrissing loophole.

What Mercedes may have done here, is add this T-tray-wing/Dol-fin into the very public shakedown test for good reason.
They were not aware of this prior to October 2016 with the regulation change, and implemented a wild interpretation to get some kickback from the FIA, good or bad.
Reasons are many. To get it thrown out by the FIA, or to pave the way for something even more extreme.
"Interplay of triads"

Hail22

clipsy1H wrote:Nothing spectacular, it's a basic car from last year (with more rear room by moving forward) with changes to fit new regulations, to me this car is nothing but normal. In matter of performance they will be same as last year nothing more o less but the good things is if others teams can bring something up they will beat Merc this year. So for now is up to Ferrari, RedBull and maybe Renault with McLaren to show somethings and take the lead because they can right now. Mercedes was so arrogant in this winter that they just fit last year car with 2017 regulation and 1-2 little things because they are sure no one can do more from last year. Now it's time to take over.

Even if it's almost nothing from last year i like the suspension, there is something to watch in next days and also the side pods which are bad ass.

I miss some of the old members who would look at this and quote it with a funny meme, video or critique of the person making said bizarre and false comments.

In the absence of Xpensive, CrucialXtreme and waiting for Bhall to turn up...This is how I can sum up your post good sir / madam:

The W08 as a whole looks to be on the edge of the rules, daring, extremely bold and out of all the cars shown is the most aggressive that I've seen. Good day to you all.

For those that may have missed it among the numerous pages, here is the 360 degree view of the car:

And the tech briefing:

Last edited by Hail22 on 24 Feb 2017, 00:54, edited 2 times in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

adrianjordan

There are pictures of the car without the t-wing as well, so perhaps it is in fact only a testing device and won't be staying on the car.

Either way I'm glad we finally have new cars to look at, it's seemed a long winter!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

void

roon wrote:
bhall II wrote:My guess is that the coat rack is meant to clean up air flow from the cameras mounted to the airbox, because the area it will affect is just about the same size as those cameras. This sort of stuff wouldn't really an issue with higher wings--if it is now.

http://i.imgur.com/6sTNcEi.jpg

Or it's a red herring.

EDIT: pic
It's actually for the street circuits.

http://www.myweb.net.au/mottram/trams/z ... ne_257.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/G5zDU1Nl.jpg

To me it looks like a camera support, there is a video https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ24LQ8DGJ0/ posted on Instagram showing VB rolling out of the garage and been followeb by a camera car.

Unc1eM0nty

Looks like they've moved the "fused" wishbone to the rear for 2017

Excuse the poor screen grab, you can see it clearer on here at 10.48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqaKtfStWJ8

F1Krof

The t-tray is for 360deg camera mounting. Case solved. =D>
Wroom wroom

JesperA

F1Krof wrote:The t-tray is for 360deg camera mounting. Case solved. =D>
Its a good idea to include evidence of your claim to, where is this confirmed, do you have pictures, videos or etc?

diego.liv

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... to-876411/

The author says that "for Aldo, this is an alternative for the shark fin." But there is no actual quotation about the purpose of the dol-fin; just "...the W08 you'll see in Melbourne will be aerodynamicly different from the car today." In the second article he's quoted

"Today's config was made for today and for the first phase of Barcelona tests we'll have different bodywork and wing configs. We'll try various combinations and decide what to bring to Melbourne."

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/costa ... si-876482/

SlickF1

Considering they have mounted the t-fin as early as they did, i would guess that is more of a distraction then anything else serious.

bhall II

Hail22 wrote:
clipsy1H wrote:Nothing spectacular, it's a basic car from last year (with more rear room by moving forward) with changes to fit new regulations, to me this car is nothing but normal. In matter of performance they will be same as last year nothing more o less but the good things is if others teams can bring something up they will beat Merc this year. So for now is up to Ferrari, RedBull and maybe Renault with McLaren to show somethings and take the lead because they can right now. Mercedes was so arrogant in this winter that they just fit last year car with 2017 regulation and 1-2 little things because they are sure no one can do more from last year. Now it's time to take over.

Even if it's almost nothing from last year i like the suspension, there is something to watch in next days and also the side pods which are bad ass.
[...]

In the absence of Xpensive, CrucialXtreme and waiting for Bhall to turn up...This is how I can sum up your post good sir / madam:

[...]
Here's the thing: even though I don't necessarily share his opinion, I can easily understand it. Thus far, and of what we can see, there's not a whole lot on WAldoCosta that we haven't seen before in one guise or another...

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and there's every chance that this car will pick up right where W07 left off. But, I do think the hubris in this thread is a bit unfounded at this time.

Let's wait and see what happens next...
F1.com, Feb 23, 2017 wrote:"As you have seen, the launch spec was without the little T-wing, and then we tested it – and then we will carry on in Barcelona day by day testing different configurations,” Costa explained.

“We will have as well a longer tail configuration to be tested in combination with new rear wings for Melbourne.

“The car in essence from now until Melbourne will change all the aerodynamic surfaces."

Redragon

JesperA wrote:
F1Krof wrote:The t-tray is for 360deg camera mounting. Case solved. =D>
Its a good idea to include evidence of your claim to, where is this confirmed, do you have pictures, videos or etc?
I am sorry to say F1Krof that if you know how a 360 camera works that t-tray it is the most hideous one to work with, specially in movement. So I can tell you it is not for the 360 camera.
Last edited by Redragon on 24 Feb 2017, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.