Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shrieker

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

CriXus wrote:HD quality footage from today's shakedown.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCfyXAhiBo
Wow, love that primordial growl thru the corners ! And the car looks proper fast thru that left hander, accompanied with a great rear !
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

THRAK
THRAK

roon wrote:For reference. The cars must have two side impact structures per side, fully enclosed within bodywork. They must be vertically aligned with each other and positioned 500mm in front of the back of the cockpit, when viewed from the side. The upper structure must be between 400mm and 520mm above the reference plane, and the lower one must be between 70mm and 190mm above the reference plane.

I think they've installed both structures beneath the inlet, behind the blanked-off area.

A nice solution because their inlet shape is now less dictated by the crash structures. As we see with this clever free-form shape, which draws air from both the front and above.
Thanks for the regulations tips roon! My main concern was the height of the upper structure, as the Ferrari configuration seems to put it a bit lower than concurrents, but this is coherent with the numbers you indicate. So if we measure the 500 mm, taking advantage of the mandatory 400 mm lenghth of the largest part of the cockpit, this would be more or less the position of those structures :

Seems wonderful on paper, I just hope it won't end as other bright ideas (F92's double floor, to name one) :D

atlantis
atlantis

wrcsti
wrcsti

RandiAndika wrote:
CriXus wrote:HD quality footage from today's shakedown.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxCfyXAhiBo
Sounds like they running blown off exhaust gas? is it legal now? :roll:
could just be some sort of antilag. with this years tires more torque coming out of corners can be put to the ground.

giantfan10
giantfan10

wrcsti wrote:
RandiAndika wrote:
could just be some sort of antilag. with this years tires more torque coming out of corners can be put to the ground.
NOPE its this " The car is running at a certain speed, let's say 50 mph, the gearbox is in 4th gear, the clutch is engaged. Now you lift your foot off the accelerator. The fuel consumption drops to zero immerdiately. The engine does not need any fuel to keep on revving, because the moving car drives the engine. In this situation you will feel a considerable amount of deceleration. This is called "engine brake". "
try it with your own carand take note of the sound it makes..... : ) semi trucks are banned from doing that within city limits where i live because its even louder than the engine itself while on the gas

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Look att size of Merc. cooling inlets compared to Ferrari. Merc. are much smaller...

astralx
astralx

Fer.Fan wrote:http://i67.tinypic.com/2zppaqc.png

http://i.imgur.com/knqp33Z.jpg

Look att size of Merc. cooling inlets compared to Ferrari. Merc. are much smaller...
But airbox inlet is bigger

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

giantfan10 wrote: try it with your own carand take note of the sound it makes..... : ) semi trucks are banned from doing that within city limits where i live because its even louder than the engine itself while on the gas
That would be exhaust braking and it's noisy and so banned from certain places. Normal car engine braking shouldn't be noisy. But this is off topic.

The Ferrari noise does sound a bit like an anti lag system but not a very harsh one.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ema00
ema00

THRAK
THRAK

I think Ferrari designers here did not aim at creating the smallest sidepods inlets (though it could appear so from front view). It's all about increasing this part of the bodywork (yellow) in order to use the maximum amount of air / manage the Y250 vortices coming from the flanks of the nose :

(well, that's the idea)

mrluke
mrluke

wrcsti wrote:
RandiAndika wrote:
The MGU-H provides the antilag, it keeps the turbo spooled off throttle.

Think the bag of spanners noise is just cylinder cut under partial load.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

6 of 12
6 of 12

If I were one of Ferrari's opponents, I would ask myself a very worrying question: For what do Ferrari need these large amounts of air? :shock: The intakes might appear narrow, but they are quite large. Also, they need secondary air intakes on top of the sidepods and the airbox might not be as huge as Mercedes' last year, but is not tiny either...

So what is happening with all the air? Cooling cannot have got this unefficient compared to last year, can it. :?: :?: :?:
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

timbo
timbo

6 of 12 wrote:The intakes might appear narrow, but they are quite large.
It's really hard to tell what is the surface of the intakes from what we have seen, they are buried quite deep and are surrounded by unpainted carbon.
Note where the cooling fan's ducts go: