McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Please keep Testing Talk in the Testing Thread.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 478#p67747
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

BosF1

That strake wasn't there during launch as well.

Thunder

Pictures by AMuS.

Diffusor:

Aero rakes:
#aerogollum

noxroxafox

Great pictures! Thanks for posting :)

turbof1

mclaren111 wrote:GPUpdate:
Bad news for McLaren: Honda confirms an oil systems issue which will take "several hours" to resolve
Guys, that's either testing thread or power unit thread. Let's not flood the topic with posts about how it will hurt the team's performance. Given the car will now be several hours in the garage, the flow of information and pictures will be low. For the time being, check the other car topics.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

You really can't stop it guys can't you?

Deleted the Posts about PU failing, Honda failing and so forth. Again this is not the right Thread for that.
If this keeps going this Thread will be locked until the Car runs again and we have a Chance for actual new Information on the Car to come up.
#aerogollum

FW17

Thunders wrote:You really can't stop it guys can't you?

Deleted the Posts about PU failing, Honda failing and so forth. Again this is not the right Thread for that.
If this keeps going this Thread will be locked until the Car runs again and we have a Chance for actual new Information on the Car to come up.
I think the MCL32 not being on a test rig is relevant

matt_s

Anyone seen anything on the diffuser yet that McLaren may have been trying to hide at the launch? Nothing looks out of the ordinary from the picture so far.

Holm86

matt_s wrote:Anyone seen anything on the diffuser yet that McLaren may have been trying to hide at the launch? Nothing looks out of the ordinary from the picture so far.
Thay always cover the diffuser at launch, so no trickery there ....

noxroxafox

Holm86 wrote:
matt_s wrote:Anyone seen anything on the diffuser yet that McLaren may have been trying to hide at the launch? Nothing looks out of the ordinary from the picture so far.
Thay always cover the diffuser at launch, so no trickery there ....

Agreed, although the diffusers are less agressive then I expected (in regular). However I do still strongly believe that the MCL32 is a good, solid and slightly agressive engineered car, I'm very curious how the rake, diff, higher rear suspension wishbones and the rear wing will preform all together. I think they've combined it all together more then the other cars. I'm not sure on 'how' it will all be 'combined' though :oops: (because of course, it counts for all the cars)

Somewhere in my mind the term 'coanda effect' comes into sight, but then on a larger scale on the entire back of the car.. Thats of course just my arm-chair knowledge :oops: :oops: :oops:

mikhak

The diffuser looks very similar to last year. I wonder is this a "first day" floor. It looks very simple. No flick ups along the forward floor like most teams and no slots on the rear floor either. I can't imagine this will be the configuration for long.

GoranF1

mikhak wrote:
The diffuser looks very similar to last year. I wonder is this a "first day" floor. It looks very simple. No flick ups along the forward floor like most teams and no slots on the rear floor either. I can't imagine this will be the configuration for long.
on the upper side of floor/diffusor looks different to others(like it has 2 bumps or pillows) also the part of floor right next to rear tires looks like it has strangly shaped vanes.

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

matt_s

mikhak wrote:
Good point. They probably want to ascertain if the PU+packaging will run before worrying about aero. But if that's the case, it seems there's even less of a reason to hide anything.

Egresi Tamás

roon

Looks like a Merc-type plenum.