Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hemichromis
hemichromis

Re: Honda Power Unit

hurril wrote:
hemichromis wrote:IS there any confirmation that we have a Mercedes style turbo here?

Hasegawa says the turbocharger has been lowered, if the compressor was still in the Vee that would mean that it would need to shrink. For 2016 season they made the turbo bigger but had to raise it to achieve that.
Where did he say this? Also - what do you imply when you talk about a mercedes style turbo? The Honda PU does have the MGU-h between the turbine and the compressor.
Interview in 'f1sokuho' magazine.
translated my Muramasa:

'We've progressed that area a lot. About that particular/specific point/area, we can say so with confidence. Overall weight of engine, center of gravity, and so on, we've made big improvement. To put it short/plain, we lowered the position of turbocharger.'

HPD

While we wait.. Listen to music.

GoranF1
GoranF1

According to autosport at the end of 2016 Honda was 60KW behind Mercedes.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ncassi22
ncassi22

GoranF1 wrote:According to autosport at the end of 2016 Honda was 60KW behind Mercedes.
link?

GoranF1
GoranF1

ncassi22 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:According to autosport at the end of 2016 Honda was 60KW behind Mercedes.
link?
Autosport +

FW17

Isn't that what Alonso said ?

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

It is totally consistent with in-car audio fft comparison, which indicated the same sort of gap to Merc at the end of the 2016 season.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Lucky
Lucky

hurril
hurril

So that air tube could either be cooling for the ERS sitting way out back, or it's inlet air for a compressor moved out of the V to sit in the back.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Can one of the technical guys draw some nice arrows on that picture and tell the rest of us what is happening in that photo?

Thank you ! :D

haza
haza

can see mercedes features straight away

daren_p
daren_p

haza wrote:
can see mercedes features straight away
Care to share what you spot?

Looks more like a Merc style intake manifold plenum. Can't really tell from the pics, is that the main engine intake going to the rear of the P/U or is that an auxiliary tube feeding some sort of cooler & there is a short Merc style intake feed tube/box?

Edit: It does sort of look like on the lower intake (below the main intake), the ducting comes from the opening & then heads up, possibly joining the main pipe going to the rear of the P/U? (hard to tell/not shown in the pic).

roon
roon

godlameroso

The first time we saw the Honda engine, everyone was like, where's the turbo? This one is so evolved that now people ask, where's the engine? Simply amazing, I can't wait until they unlock the power of this engine, I know they ran it de-tuned today, this is the trial and error part, completely expected, even experienced engine builders run into setbacks. Especially when venturing into the unknown, then it's almost assured.

These engines are very much like an orchestra, many different mechanism are playing the exhaust tune. Right now this is a tuning session, where all the instruments are tuned for the proper harmony. You'll see people making odd noises, maybe break a few strings, but all are capable musicians, and once the instruments are tuned and show starts, the music will be good. The music directors have found a good sound, now they just need to make sure all the instruments are in good shape and well tuned for their symphony.
Saishū kōnā