McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
proteus

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Manoah2u wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 10:45
proteus wrote:
19 Mar 2017, 22:16
Sirotkins observations about the car:

"The midfield looks very close, and all of these teams are part of it. McLaren and Sauber look like they're trailing.

The former is a dark horse so far. Because of all the team's issues, I've only seen the MCL32 on track two or three times. The lack of power is immediately obvious, which could be down to the engine mapping the team used in the test. Through the corners, the car leaves a better impression."
Sirotkin, really? :lol:
why on earth would anybody take Sirotkin's opinion as serious and more, why would anyone ask his opinion?
he is not part of F1 at all, but a mere 'test/development' driver with a big money backing thanks to daddy,
just like Stroll.

I'd take Maldonado's opinions over him a thousand times and i haven't even read about Maldonado.
Even though he is a pay test driver, he is probably able to see the differences in cars. He didnt hail Mclaren by far, but he pointed out that the engine is aparently their biggest problem.

It was just that and nothing else. U can ignore his opinion, i on the other hand acknowlidge it, since i had similiar opinions when observating avalilable footage.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Thunder

If you want to discuss this further, please do so in the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Del Boy

https://flic.kr/p/T1i3Ed
https://flic.kr/p/T1hZQ5
Any body here got any ideas what this does?
A bit of background; I took at about 3:00pm on day 8. The device sits on the car with flashing yellow arrows going around it. You can see the car has tension barriers around it and none of mechanics are too near it. I therefore assume it has something to do with ERS.

Not sure if I've copied the URL correctly

roon

Edit- Should be a hazard light. Can't find an image, but I'm pretty sure I've seen these in use on the cars before, even back in the V8 KERS era.
Last edited by roon on 20 Mar 2017, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Del Boy

roon wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 22:08
Del Boy wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 21:59
https://flic.kr/p/T1i3Ed
https://flic.kr/p/T1hZQ5
Any body here got any ideas what this does?
A bit of background; I took at about 3:00pm on day 8. The device sits on the car with flashing yellow arrows going around it. You can see the car has tension barriers around it and none of mechanics are too near it. I therefore assume it has something to do with ERS.

Not sure if I've copied the URL correctly
Which part? What arrows? Can you label your image?
The round thing sitting on top of the nose slightly behind the front wheels. The S duct panel is off and the machine is behind the round hole in the monocoque. Sorry a bit new at adding images!!

Mr.G

The car is surrounded by and "ES RESTRICTED AREA" tape/strip. I think the "machine" is some kind of warning sign when the car can be electricaly harmfull for the mechanics...

Are you sure it was arrows and not lightning bolts circulating around???
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

daniellammers

Mr.G wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 22:24
The car is surrounded by and "ES RESTRICTED AREA" tape/strip. I think the "machine" is some kind of warning sign when the car can be electricaly harmfull for the mechanics...

Seems legit to me, no better way to do it right?

(Nice sig though!)
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

Del Boy

daniellammers wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 22:32
Mr.G wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 22:24

Seems legit to me, no better way to do it right?

(Nice sig though!)
At the risk of answering my own question, I know F1 is sometimes over the top but this device is way over the top to warn the mechanics the car is live?

Del Boy

I found a better view on you tube
https://youtu.be/TeUoRAXuGcA

Mr.G

I still think it's some kind of safety/warnig light when there is possibility of electric shock...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

cramr

They can also be refuelling or something like that and it a way to avoid anybody do an accidental spark that they may cause a big mess

PhillipM

Del Boy wrote:
20 Mar 2017, 22:37
At the risk of answering my own question, I know F1 is sometimes over the top but this device is way over the top to warn the mechanics the car is live?
It may be something they use when the car is running through ERS/KERS programs for testing, so the system is not just live but active.

mclaren111

Nice Picture (from testing & not sure if it has been posted before).

I really like their FW.

Jef Patat

Oh yes, and many more. Starting at the bottom of p32

Ft5fTL

Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing