Engine Stall

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Engine Stall

My understanding was that MGU-K was not allowed to be used to start the car or power the car when less than 120kph.

How is that Kimi restated his engine using MGU-K in fp3 after stalling the car

In the past Haas and STR has used this too without any penalty. What are the rules on this?

Jolle

Re: Engine Stall

Well, if the rule is that the K unit isn't allowed to power the car below 100/120kph, starting the PU when stationary is possible within those rules. If the rule is that the K unit can't get power below 120kph then it's not.

henry

The 100kph restriction applies only at the start from the grid. Free use at all other times.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

roon

henry wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 23:07
The 100kph restriction applies only at the start from the grid. Free use at all other times.
I wonder if that has anything to do with the timing of the wastegate opening when the cars do standing starts. Tends to occur a moment after launch, during acceleration. Or maybe that's more about being traction limited below a certain speed.

Is the ES permitted to hold a charge at race start?

henry

roon wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 23:26
henry wrote:
25 Mar 2017, 23:07
I wonder if that has anything to do with the timing of the wastegate opening when the cars do standing starts. Tends to occur a moment after launch, during acceleration. Or maybe that's more about being traction limited below a certain speed.

Is the ES permitted to hold a charge at race start?
Last year they were traction limited up to about 160kph in a straight line. That's with full power from both ICE and MGU-K. This year I expect its lower, maybe 120.

I don't know why they would open the wastegate before they reach traction limit speed for ICE only.

I don't know why they restrict the use of the MGU-K up to 100kph. Perhaps they suspect open loop traction control by modulating the MGU-K power.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

RicME85 wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 08:30
It's to stop a kind of traction control
Care to expand on that?

I have, in the past, posited that they might control the 3rd derivative of MGU-K speed ( jerk).

RicME85

99.9% Martin Brundle has spoken about it to stop teams from using it for traction control and/or launch control

haza

Vandoorne was also able to restart his car manually during the race when he had an engine reset

matt21

The MGU-K has to be fitted before the clutch.
So Kimi can disengage the clutch and use the MGU to start the engine, engage the clutch and off he go.

DarkSurferZA

Also applies to powering the car in the pit lane. I.e. they cannot shut the engine and use electric power only in the pit lane. Seems a waste considering the term hybrid... Anyway, at start or launch they could do a very precise launch map using electric power and get the ICE to kick in once rolling as a means of launch control.

If I am not mistaken, I thought the rule applies to the use of electrical energy as a means to power the car (read torque to wheels) and not to power the ICE (read turn the crank)?

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk

Big Mangalhit

DarkSurferZA wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 17:16

If I am not mistaken, I thought the rule applies to the use of electrical energy as a means to power the car (read torque to wheels) and not to power the ICE (read turn the crank)?

I am not sure about this. I think it is has it was said the rule only aplies on the grid start, then the MGU can obviously be used below 100km/h during the race, if you happen to go bellow that. It is just so teams don't do special maps which they use the electrical controlled power output for launch control

matt21

DarkSurferZA wrote:
Also applies to powering the car in the pit lane. I.e. they cannot shut the engine and use electric power only in the pit lane. Seems a waste considering the term hybrid...
I´m not quite sure if this isn´t possible.
IMHO you can propel the car with a shut down ICE as long as the accelerator pedal controls overall torque (ICE+MGU-K) and the ICE kicks in as soon as the driver requests more than 200 Nm.

DarkSurferZA wrote:
Anyway, at start or launch they could do a very precise launch map using electric power and get the ICE to kick in once rolling as a means of launch control.
This is forbidden by the 100 kph rule at a race start.

DarkSurferZA

matt21 wrote:
DarkSurferZA wrote:
Also applies to powering the car in the pit lane. I.e. they cannot shut the engine and use electric power only in the pit lane. Seems a waste considering the term hybrid...
I´m not quite sure if this isn´t possible.
IMHO you can propel the car with a shut down ICE as long as the accelerator pedal controls overall torque (ICE+MGU-K) and the ICE kicks in as soon as the driver requests more than 200 Nm.

DarkSurferZA wrote:
Anyway, at start or launch they could do a very precise launch map using electric power and get the ICE to kick in once rolling as a means of launch control.
This is forbidden by the 100 kph rule at a race start.
Sorry, typo. It shouldn't say "anyway" it should start as "also". Yip, agree. It is forbidden.

It is not just at the start, as the teams rent allowed to shutdown the ICE and use the electric energy to power the car (in the pit for example)

matt21

DarkSurferZA wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 20:50
It is not just at the start, as the teams rent allowed to shutdown the ICE and use the electric energy to power the car (in the pit for example)
Where is this written?