McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

"The difference is quite severe as the straight is losing about 8 to 9 km / h, which is quite severe.It is also great influence of the power difference .... Of course the car also talks that the car is over and under There are also places where setup has not been decided yet, but the biggest part of the whole was that the straight speed was slow. "

The problem of drivability that was seen as a problem in the pre-opening test was improved considerably by boiling the combustion setting. I brought the latest specification with handwork on the hardware side as "specification 1" of the opening game specification. However, significant improvement in power can not be done in one day or two days.

"The maturing (optimization of burning)" has been quite satisfactory on the bench, so that part has improved considerably, but in terms of output we have not reached our goal and ICE Improvement of the internal combustion engine itself is necessary, so we can not say it right now, I realize that is the biggest challenge. "(Hasegawa)

Even on the chassis side, I got a restless behavior that was unstable at the time of cornering and flapping.

Only the three small parts(that is wrong, new FW used for Alonso) were brought in with what is called "opening aero package", and it seems that it will also show the maximum effect Barge board (*) Only one set of arm type stay at the front end can make it in time, Alonso It was worn only by a car. However, it did not seem like an item that fundamentally solves the problem of MCL 32.

* Aeroparts mounted on the side of the barge board = nose and beside the cockpit.

An engineer with a team speaks about the symptoms.

"As the tendency of the machine still understeer, it is the cause of not being able to warm the tire.If it thinks that it is getting warmer, this time (only the surface of the tire) overheats and the rear becomes unstable "

According to the latest information, in 2017 machines where the engine full opening rate and air resistance increased, the power has a 0.2 second / 10 kW (about 13.4 horsepower) impact on lap time. Even if the Honda's power unit is 100 horsepower inferior to Mercedes AMG (although there is not much difference in reality), the lap time is only 1.49 seconds difference. The difference of 2.2 seconds from the Bartheli / Buttas of the top in Q2 is found to be due to the inferior performance of both the car body and the power unit being inferior.

Besides that, the MCL 32 had many problems.

The problem of getting caught with intense metal sounds at upshifting. Every time, the driver was subjected to a big shock that would hit the body without thinking.

In the qualifying, air enters the fuel line of SV and the fuel pressure drops. On the other hand, in the second-hand Ultra Soft, the last corner can not run at full throttle, but by operating a fine throttle around full throttle the wastegate valve opens to prevent abnormal rise in turbocharging, and at the end of the lap I was losing power.

In the final, if you think that the computer connected to the Vandoorne machine on the grid was in a hurry due to the problem of not displaying data, the screen display on the steering wheel got stuck in "out wrap" early and reset, There was also a scene in which wrong instructions are issued to reset another function. Ultimately, the electronic control system issues an error warning and automatically stops the power generation from the MGU-H (*) , and you have to return to the pit and restart the power supply of the whole machine It was.

※ MGU - H = Motor Generator Unit - Heat stands for. Apparatus for regenerating thermal energy from exhaust gas.

However, Alonso followed the Force India's Esteban Occon and Renault's Nico Hülkenberg backwards for 1 second and kept running for 50 laps. I skillfully manipulated the MCL 32, which should be straight late, and continued to hold down the Force India loading the Mercedes AMG power unit.

"While keeping it out of the occon, keeping him within one second difference and using DRS (*) , on the contrary it was making sure that the occon was not pulled out of that behind Hülkenberg. (Tire It's tough to have Hülkenberg in front, because it's also saving fuel economy, it's truly a supernatural driving, is not it? "

※ DRS stands for Drag Reduction System. Drag reduction system / down force suppression system.

But at the end it ended with breakage of the suspension. (McLaren try to hide the problem?? is it due to weak chassis? very light?)

Actually, McLaren has given MCL 32 a considerable weight saving, and the weight of the car is significantly lower than the minimum weight of 728 kg. It is a good thing for itself to be able to optimize the machine balance and center of gravity by mounting ballast (weight) for that much, but in the case of MCL 32 it is lighter than expected assuming that the weight actually measured by MCL 32, ballast is enough It was enough to worry about losing it.

There is also a view that such excessive weight saving may not be limited to this suspension damage but may cause problems such as harness connector failure and crack of carbon pipe which frequently occurred from pre-opening tests.

In any case, although the drivers suffered from the problem of MCL 32, they showed the maximum potential of the current situation. In other words, there is no way to go ahead beyond raising the potential of the machine.

Alonso who finished the race did not explode the frustration, nor did it blame the power unit alone, just talked about it.

"I was able to prepare the body in a very nice form and I am in the best condition and I am in the season.I feel that my career is also driving the best, so I contend for one point Of course I am ready to win, but of course I am ready to win, but we are not ready as a team, which is a shame.Okay the team is doing It's a problem. "

Vandoorne who finished 13th out of the 13 runs with a delay of two laps on the pit stop also craved for team unity and development push.

"As a total package, we are clearly not at the pace of fighting with the former group, we still need to push development as we have a big difference with them.I like updating every race and going ahead step by step In the next China Grand Prix, we are hoping that new parts will be introduced into the car, the pace will improve and we can make further progress. "

The reality is confronted, neither the car body nor the power unit is to blame one another, but rather we must push each other in cooperation with each other and get out of this difficulty.

Improvement of output is not as ready as it needs further development of ICE. Hasegawa's general manager also has a feeling of being caught up in this situation.

"Since the direction of development is fixed as a developer, there is no other choice but to proceed with it solemnly, but as a battle fighting this sport it is unlikely that it would be good. Because I can not talk about excluding emotional things (losing, regretting, wanting to win), the feeling of not being able to talk about this is much bigger. "

However, what we need for ourselves now is not self-protection nor political conflict, it's only to show by results.

"Regardless of how the team is being made a bad guy, they are the most disappointing and I know best what they are not satisfied.On the other hand, in this situation, As a partner fighting and becoming a fighting partner) I think that it will support, so I think that we only respond with the result afterwards. "

The way we should go is that both McLaren and Honda will work hard to improve themselves. Both McLaren and Honda's sides recognized this again.

Received the reality again, accepted, understand that the whole team, and deepened unity again. That was the opening game of 2017, the Australian Grand Prix.

Translation from Japanese article

- MCL32 is super light, suspected by engineers in Japan
- Even Japanese authors believe the power deficit is 100 or more HP

ncassi22
ncassi22

FW17 wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 09:40

Translation from Japanese article

- MCL32 is super light, suspected by engineers in Japan
- Even Japanese authors believe the power deficit is 100 or more HP
Please reread the post. That is not what it says. It says even if the number was a 100hp, the lap deficit could not be explained due to the power alone, but the chassis as well.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

roon wrote:
28 Mar 2017, 23:25
Where's the camera? If they are visual reference points, why wasn't a high contrast color used?
Ok, fair enough. I can't be a 100% sure but the camera can be anywhere, even along the track. And high contrast depends on the camera. I call red on black quite high contrast. It depends on the usecase.

roon wrote:
In some of the Barcelona testing photos you could see holes drilled through the diffuser, seemingly for pressure or airspeed sensors. Maybe these dots are related.
That would be very strange because that would mean measuring perpendicular to the flow. For those kind of correlations they usually use the sensor rake like this:

I have seen holes in the floor but mostly this was for height measurement.
roon wrote:
Was this photo from Aus testing? Or Q? Or race? And why do there appear to be sanding or swirl marks around these dots?
No car was towed back at Melbourne as far as I know, neither did they have the horizontal plate at the edge, this pic is from Barcelona.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

You're a bit late at the party. This is on the edge of advertising I think.

zioture
zioture

yes you're right I saw the previous post, but 'this is a video

Thunder

I'll leave the Article quoted by FW17 here since it's really hard to categorise it. But please be sure to only discuss the technical Car Aspects of it in here. PU talk belongs in the PU Thread and everything else in the Team Thread.

Team Thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25527&start=2040
PU Thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18874&start=7215
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FW17

Thunders wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 13:26
I'll leave the Article quoted by FW17 here since it's really hard to categorise it. But please be sure to only discuss the technical Car Aspects of it in here. PU talk belongs in the PU Thread and everything else in the Team Thread.

This is the first time someone has mentioned that Mclaren has done a fantastic job in cutting weight of the chassis allowing for more ballast options. Wish there was more info on the same.

ollandos
ollandos

http://prntscr.com/epxcp9

alonso damage car

mclaren111

FW17 wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 13:48
Thunders wrote:

This is the first time someone has mentioned that Mclaren has done a fantastic job in cutting weight of the chassis allowing for more ballast options. Wish there was more info on the same.
I read an article where EB claimed the MCL32 was overweight / too heavy. (will try and find it and post it).

GoranF1
GoranF1

mclaren111 wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 16:58
FW17 wrote:
29 Mar 2017, 13:48
Thunders wrote:

I read an article where EB claimed the MCL32 was overweight / too heavy. (will try and find it and post it).
You did...but that was the word "drag" that was lost in translation and become "heavy"....its Marca interview whit Eric.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sasha
Sasha

There is talk that the transmission is just as bad as Honda's first pre-chamber head.....needs a complete redesign. :shock:

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Sasha wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 06:28
There is talk that the transmission is just as bad as Honda's first pre-chamber head.....needs a complete redesign. :shock:
Where is this talk coming from?

Singabule
Singabule

Sasha wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 06:28
Yeah, they miscalculate torsional stiffness

Sasha
Sasha

Even if they had a MB PU this year they would be still in trouble......the trans vibrations would tear it apart.