IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Pierce89

Re: IndyCar Series

Lelo27 wrote:Hi guys, i've just registered at this website. I was searching some opinions between the Dallara IS03 and the actual DW12, and i found your discussion.
I learnt many things thank to you.
Before of all, sorry for my English, i'm italian, so i try to do my best. :D
Personally i loved and i still prefer the 2003-2011 cars, first of all for the estetic. Actual cars are fat and don't seem open wheel cars.
Then, races aren't much exciting now. Since 2013 they were, also with the new cars, but now there isn't much action, especially on street circuits (which now are too many, and me i even prefer them... But i would like an equilibre) and there aren't cautions too.
But i have to admit that now cars are safer, the rollabar is better. So, if this already makes them safer, why did they add all those estetic protections?
This is my opinion guys. I tank you another time because i learnt many things, such as that since 2007 there were Indycar and Champ car, while i always thought there was only Indy. I noticed only now that those cars have been used in Superleague formula then, and the first thing that i think when i see them is: "crash and debris" xD I didn't know they were so unsafe too.

Inviato in Controsterzo utilizzando Tapatalk
The only real similarity between Indycars and Super Formula is a Dallara chassis. Indycars uses a Honda or Chevy aero kit matched to the engines,while Super Formula also offers different engines but only with a common Dallara aero kit. Also, Super Formula is a bit lighter and less powerful and has slightly less downforce than Indycars road course kits. Also 2007 was the LAST year of of Champ car and Indycars not the first.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Lelo27

Re: RE: Re: IndyCar Series

Pierce89 wrote:
Lelo27 wrote:Hi guys, i've just registered at this website. I was searching some opinions between the Dallara IS03 and the actual DW12, and i found your discussion.
Personally i loved and i still prefer the 2003-2011 cars, first of all for the estetic. Actual cars are fat and don't seem open wheel cars.
Then, races aren't much exciting now. Since 2013 they were, also with the new cars, but now there isn't much action, especially on street circuits (which now are too many, and me i even prefer them... But i would like an equilibre) and there aren't cautions too.
But i have to admit that now cars are safer, the rollabar is better. So, if this already makes them safer, why did they add all those estetic protections?
This is my opinion guys. I tank you another time because i learnt many things, such as that since 2007 there were Indycar and Champ car, while i always thought there was only Indy. I noticed only now that those cars have been used in Superleague formula then, and the first thing that i think when i see them is: "crash and debris" xD I didn't know they were so unsafe too.

The only real similarity between Indycars and Super Formula is a Dallara chassis. Indycars uses a Honda or Chevy aero kit matched to the engines,while Super Formula also offers different engines but only with a common Dallara aero kit. Also, Super Formula is a bit lighter and less powerful and has slightly less downforce than Indycars road course kits. Also 2007 was the LAST year of of Champ car and Indycars not the first.
I didn't mean that Indycars used the same cars of Superleague. I ment that Champ cars have been used after in Superleague. For the second thing i said it wrongly, sorry, i'm not perfect with English.

AMG.Tzan

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03- ... ign-update
It's nice how people around the world realized that aesthetics play such a big role!! =D> Nicely done here by Indycar...I always wanted that old Champcar look without the air inlet above the driver's head!! :D
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

RicME85

Someone on Reddit has done a photoshop mockup of what it could look like

toraabe

Lelo27 wrote:
09 Jan 2017, 20:45
Pierce89 wrote:

I didn't mean that Indycars used the same cars of Superleague. I ment that Champ cars have been used after in Superleague. For the second thing i said it wrongly, sorry, i'm not perfect with English.

Indy cars also are ground effect cars. Because of this and that the diffusor angle is just an extension of the venturi tunnels, they can easily follow close in racing.

WaikeCU

Quite exciting to see another F1 driver taking part in Indy 500. The following drivers are in it:

Fernando Alonso
Takuma Sato
Sebastien Bourdais
Max Chilton
Alexander Rossi
Juan Pablo Montoya

Chene_Mostert

WaikeCU wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 12:48
Quite exciting to see another F1 driver taking part in Indy 500. The following drivers are in it:

Fernando Alonso
Takuma Sato
Sebastien Bourdais
Max Chilton
Alexander Rossi
Juan Pablo Montoya
The Bingo club.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

FW17

Just hope Chilton does not give advise

Pierce89

Lelo27 wrote:
09 Jan 2017, 20:45
Pierce89 wrote:

No Superleague used the dp09 and champvar used the dp01. There were significant differences.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

coaster

Just reffering back to Alonso, will there be a speculation thread for the Andretti mclaren car?
I imagine the monocoque is a control item, so mclaren could only give an aero makeover perhaps?
I've heard media refer to this years f1 car running at indy, impossible yes?
I wish fonz the best as my happiest memories of f1 were his toucan coloured V10 cars.

hpras

They can paint it any colour they like. Other than that, they have to use all the controlled items which includes the manufacturers aerokit. The list of parts that are open for the teams to manufacture themselves is very small, everything else is sole supplier or pick from a small list.

coaster

Macaw i meant sorry, not toucan.

dren

coaster wrote:
14 Apr 2017, 06:23
Just reffering back to Alonso, will there be a speculation thread for the Andretti mclaren car?
I imagine the monocoque is a control item, so mclaren could only give an aero makeover perhaps?
I've heard media refer to this years f1 car running at indy, impossible yes?
I wish fonz the best as my happiest memories of f1 were his toucan coloured V10 cars.
No, aero is frozen. Chevy cars have their own aero package, Honda cars their own. That's the only difference. The chassis are all the same otherwise.
Honda!

a1b2i3r45

McLaren Returns To Indianapolis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-PL7jrLbFo

Samraj_official

Alonso indy debut live stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXh9uxthFnk