Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
wesley123
177
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by wesley123 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Selvariabell wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 pm
wesley123 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:37 am
Selvariabell wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:18 pm
although I am concerned on its sensitivity to dirty air.
Because?
More complex shape and more slots meant it is designed with clean air in mind. And more finer Aero details means more sensitivity to dirty air.
I don't think a complex shape or anything automatically means it's more sensitive.

Every car is designed to be as quick as possible, and thus are per definition designed to run in clean air.

The slots are there to reduce pitch sensitivity, and in effect allows a higher Angle of attack
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Fer.Fan
0
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by Fer.Fan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:43 am

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:46 pm
Finally a shot of the PU:
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... c76825.jpg
Image

Image

Look at Ferrari PU, compared to MB. What a mess but it seems to work...

ScrewCaptain27
97
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:43 am

Fer.Fan wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:43 am
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:46 pm
Finally a shot of the PU:
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... c76825.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017041 ... c76825.jpg

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 065483.jpg

Look at Ferrari PU, compared to MB. What a mess but it seems to work...
It looks messy because it is being taken out of the car, while the Mercedes one is fully assembled.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Dino Scuderia
0
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by Dino Scuderia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:31 am

and there are the radiators covering the Merc while the Ferrari ones are off as well

TEHNOS
12
User avatar
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by TEHNOS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:00 pm


mani517
0
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by mani517 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm not a very technical person, so, struggling to understand Pat Symonds' point of view about the flexing floor flap. He says "it isn't a cheat or anything like that", but, he also says "it isn't legal as it stands, IMO".

Rules don't allow a closed section and it isn't a closed section... so, why would he say it isn't legal? Can someone help me understand his opinion?

basti313
38
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by basti313 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

mani517 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:19 pm
I'm not a very technical person, so, struggling to understand Pat Symonds' point of view about the flexing floor flap. He says "it isn't a cheat or anything like that", but, he also says "it isn't legal as it stands, IMO".

Rules don't allow a closed section and it isn't a closed section... so, why would he say it isn't legal? Can someone help me understand his opinion?
I think the flexibility is the problem, not the slot.
But there are two problems and because of them no one really cares:
- It draw our attention when it was wobbling around. But it should not wobble, it can not do anything good for the aero when it wobbles up and down like mad. At this point it was simply broken.
- Merc is running a very similar flap. For others I did not check it. But I do not think Ferrari has found the holy grail with its cut in the floor, this is a rather standard piece in F1 and is on the cars since 5 years now. I think RedBull started this cutting.

mani517
0
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by mani517 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:13 pm

basti313 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm
mani517 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:19 pm
I'm not a very technical person, so, struggling to understand Pat Symonds' point of view about the flexing floor flap. He says "it isn't a cheat or anything like that", but, he also says "it isn't legal as it stands, IMO".

Rules don't allow a closed section and it isn't a closed section... so, why would he say it isn't legal? Can someone help me understand his opinion?
I think the flexibility is the problem, not the slot.
But there are two problems and because of them no one really cares:
- It draw our attention when it was wobbling around. But it should not wobble, it can not do anything good for the aero when it wobbles up and down like mad. At this point it was simply broken.
- Merc is running a very similar flap. For others I did not check it. But I do not think Ferrari has found the holy grail with its cut in the floor, this is a rather standard piece in F1 and is on the cars since 5 years now. I think RedBull started this cutting.
Thanks for the response. May be, the length of this cantilever flap is making it flex a lot more than intended. Then again, if the intention is just to bleed the high pressure air from underneath the floor and flexing is counter-productive, it can't be too hard to fix -- unless, they don't want to change the shape of the flap or the material for some specific reason.

[edited] the more I think about it, Pat's point about the shape of the flap makes good sense. A slot running at an angle to the spine of the car is going to bleed a lot more air than the one that runs parallel to the spine of the car (like Merc's flap). So, may be, the flexing is the by-product of the length and shape of the flap & volume of air it bleeds from underneath the floor.

bill shoe
162
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by bill shoe » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:47 am

Fer.Fan wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:43 am
Look at Ferrari PU, compared to MB. What a mess but it seems to work...
Wow, the installation drawing for the Ferrari engine must have 273 details and notes, but the installation drawing for the Mercedes engine probably just has one note: "Install this engine. It makes the car go. We have determined the optimal situation for championship points. Just install the engine."

.poz
28
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by .poz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am

basti313 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I think the flexibility is the problem, not the slot.
I think they fixed it

Image

ScrewCaptain27
97
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Via Racecar Engineering:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

.poz
28
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by .poz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:22 pm

.poz wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am
basti313 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I think the flexibility is the problem, not the slot.
I think they fixed it
Piola confirm they fixed it with a metal plate embedded in the carbon fiber

Image

Sevach
469
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by Sevach » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Image

Morteza
429
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by Morteza » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:50 am

Image

Image
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ferkan
38
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Post by ferkan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Image

Ferrari's floor all over the place :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/SmilexTech/status/8 ... 9750867968



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 3 guests