dynamic DRS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer

dynamic DRS

Would love to see a system in place that would allow when car is going in a straight line DRS would open itself

also instead of being just a flap there would be a range of motion that could be pre programmed before a race
a direction change wouldn't close the wing but stop it from opening further until car is going straight again so aero is not disrupted when moving out from behind another car. pressing the brakes or coming off throttle would close the wing.

finally DRS zone should change to the whole lap counted on the start finish line working from 2 seconds back to close at 0.5 seconds gap to the car in-front. the DRS could open and close many times on a lap but be disabled at the end of a sector if a move has been completed.
in qualifying DRS should be allowed for absolute quickest laps in this format lap records would get destroyed almost everywhere (perhaps not Monaco)
have i missed any major issues with this idea or could it be improved

Manoah2u

Re: dynamic DRS

so you actually mean 'active aerodynamics' instead of DRS, which is actually banned.

enough artificial stuff about, and the BS claim that overtaking was problematic has been shown to be nonsense. DRS has less effect also it seems than before.
Brawn has stated he's no fan of DRS either so expect it to be banned sooner or later.

active aerodynamics would be interesting, but then would cost way too much in the end. active suspension would be much better to go for.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer

no its Drag reduction system. it wouldn't be possible to use in corners unless they have gone in full throttle and not touched the brakes. surely aero on a straight is just drag.
if Ross does get rid of DRS as an overtaking method could just run it all the time fair for everyone then.
would active suspension not be more costly than just expanding on the current drs system couldn't be to expensive to change from a open close system to a system based on throttle position and if the steering wheel is in a straight line.

if an f1 car could use DRS every straight would it help save fuel in a significant way

Fulcrum

Blue flags for backmarkers could also be considered artificial, as could many other rules. DRS happens to be one of the least 'entrenched' artificial responses to an inherent perceived problem with the sport.

I'm personally not in favour of DRS, or blue flags but, if they choose to persist, I'd prefer to see it modified in a manner that promotes 'close' racing without facilitating easy overtaking manoeuvres. E.g. if you're within 3 seconds of the car in front, you can use DRS wherever you choose; if you're within 0.5 seconds / 100 meters, you cannot.

I also feel the effectiveness of DRS has been diminished as a result of the harder tyre compounds this year. We simply aren't seeing cars struggling for grip on exit as much as we have previously. This, in combination with the significant drag imposed by the new aero regulations means speed differentials into braking zones, themselves shorter, are far smaller - resulting in less overtaking.

zac510

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Apr 2017, 13:58

Brawn has stated he's no fan of DRS either so expect it to be banned sooner or later.
That's a completely mis-leading mis-quote of what Brawn said. Go back and read his comments again.

Manoah2u

If you claim that's different, then how about instead of telling me what to do,
you should go ahead and read the comment and show me how it's misleading and a misquote.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

zac510

Hey manoah, firstly let me apologise for the language in my post, it was a bit harsh and I should have toned it down a bit.

The quotes I am referring to are here on motorsport.com (it and autosport are the only ones I read):
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... ns-879468/
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/braw ... f1-868446/

He said he doesn't want to rush into taking it off. The most important thing for him, however is that they come up with a long term solution.

Back on the original topic and onto my opinion; one of the things that makes me skeptical of a kind of dynamic DRS is that the system needs to be very transparent about when a driver can use it and when they can't. If it's not easy for a fan to calculate when the DRS can or can't be used then the FIA might be accused of favouritism or bias towards some drivers.
At the moment the system is simple and it is very easy for a fan to understand when the system can and can't be used. Fans can easily trust it a lot and not accuse it of bias.

Manoah2u

Thanks for the clarification, i have read some on other sources and i guess they rather 'blew it up' so that's how i remembered it.