2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sidhartha.techie

Re: 2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

In the third race, the Technology Division of Silverstone brings a new subfloor, new side wing and new baffles. "A good step forward", technical director Andy Green predicts.

Source http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 05849.html
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

NAPI10

Their base version is much better than last year but competition is much tougher this time. With Merc engine advantage slowly fading away; FI has to rely upon upgrades to body. Their vision to crack top three (may be in 2018) will rely upon technical strength.

IamLegend

NAPI10 wrote:
10 Apr 2017, 20:51
Their base version is much better than last year but competition is much tougher this time. With Merc engine advantage slowly fading away; FI has to rely upon upgrades to body. Their vision to crack top three (may be in 2018) will rely upon technical strength.
The Chinese GP was pure bad luck, if Perez wouldn't have picked up that puncture and safety car incident also played away from their hand leading to the 3 stopper. But it's encouraging to know on the track he was able to get past the Williams and TR with ease. Sainz got lucky and ended high up there. But I think their base package this year is much stronger compared to last years and they will only get better with the updates fighting for 4th in the constructors.

This is the team's fastest lap in the race 1:36.531, this is just shy of Ferrari's at 1:35.423 and it's ahead of Red Bull, Williams, TR, Renault and Haas
http://www.f1technical.net/news/21225
Last edited by IamLegend on 11 Apr 2017, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

NAPI10

All talk of slowest midfield team was just to put pressure on technical team for getting upgrades faster :lol: :lol:

IamLegend

NAPI10 wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 19:05
All talk of slowest midfield team was just to put pressure on technical team for getting upgrades faster :lol: :lol:
I concur, just to get them to build the updates quicker!

Sidhartha.techie

Photos from Bahrain

"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

Manjhi

IamLegend wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 14:49

The Chinese GP was pure bad luck, if Perez wouldn't have picked up that puncture and safety car incident also played away from their hand leading to the 3 stopper. But it's encouraging to know on the track he was able to get past the Williams and TR with ease. Sainz got lucky and ended high up there. But I think their base package this year is much stronger compared to last years and they will only get better with the updates fighting for 4th in the constructors.

This is the team's fastest lap in the race 1:36.531, this is just shy of Ferrari's at 1:35.423 and it's ahead of Red Bull, Williams, TR, Renault and Haas
The fastest time was set by Checo in the last part of the race after getting fresh Super Soft, so it should not be compared with Ferrari and other mid-field team. I am surprised that he couldn't set the fastest lap of the race, he was still well over 1 sec of Hamilton's 1:35.1 sec.

I still think the car is 'slowest' in terms of aero, and it would have been reflected if Barcelona was a season opener. Still Mercs engine and team strategy is helping a lot.

Plus kindly post pic of VJM10 with new updates.

vas_04614

They have quite a bit on plate to work on

1. Reduce weight
2. Bring Aero bits
3. Fix correlation issues

IamLegend

Manjhi wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 20:08
IamLegend wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 14:49

The fastest time was set by Checo in the last part of the race after getting fresh Super Soft, so it should not be compared with Ferrari and other mid-field team. I am surprised that he couldn't set the fastest lap of the race, he was still well over 1 sec of Hamilton's 1:35.1 sec.

I still think the car is 'slowest' in terms of aero, and it would have been reflected if Barcelona was a season opener. Still Mercs engine and team strategy is helping a lot.

Plus kindly post pic of VJM10 with new updates.
Fair enough, I'm looking up the fastest lap set by the drivers, here's a comparison with Williams who is the fastest among the Mid-field to SFi who is apparently the slowest set at laps 50 and 55 respectively, ideally we should be seeing a second if that was truly the case IMO.

POS NO DRIVER CAR LAP TIME OF DAY TIME AVG SPEED
5 19 Felipe Massa WILLIAMS MERCEDES 50 15:34:04 1:36.511 203.330
6 11 Sergio Perez FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 55 15:41:28 1:36.531 203.288

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.htm ... -laps.html

IamLegend

Different monster on a Sunday when compared to the previous day. It really is the case of having excellent race pace vs one lap performance.

"Nevertheless, the drivers and engineers were confused after the race . How can a car be so different on Saturday and Sunday if you only have to change the front wing position and the tire pressure between training and race ? "The car was transformed," Perez admitted. The trick: Suddenly, the drivers brought the tires into the magical temperature window, which according toBMW legends in the video! technology expert Andy Green felt 30 per cent smaller than last year.

The race day was the coolest day. The air fell by five degrees compared to Saturday. On the asphalt the temperature was 35 degrees at start and 28 degrees to race. On Saturday it moved between 30 and 32 degrees. So, actually, for cars that have trouble heating up the tires .
Andy Green was faced with a riddle: "Honestly, we do not know why it was so good. Why a car can react so differently in two days. Perhaps it was the wind, perhaps the higher weight of fuel in the tank. "Perez also brought the wind into play, which turned on the finish line on Sunday. "He helped us somehow."

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 11016.html

NAPI10

Sometime I wonder, what are those success factors for FI?
No legacy (like Williams or Sauber), No star driver or technical staff line-up, low budget, both promoters in jeopardy….still manage steady growth season after season. Triumph in adverse situations and be ‘Best of the rest’.

IamLegend

NAPI10 wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 15:05
Sometime I wonder, what are those success factors for FI?
No legacy (like Williams or Sauber), No star driver or technical staff line-up, low budget, both promoters in jeopardy….still manage steady growth season after season. Triumph in adverse situations and be ‘Best of the rest’.
Last year's article but it's worth a read, gives you a bit of a hint as to why they are successful.

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/84438-andrew ... rator.html

NAPI10

FI will start thinking if they really need to spend any money on this car :D :D

IamLegend

NAPI10 wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 15:58
FI will start thinking if they really need to spend any money on this car :D :D
Haha, I'm hoping they can start nipping past RBR and be well ahead of the Williams post Barcelona with their B-spec car. But a great job, simply superb by the team, the drivers and the car, I'll tip my hat to them. :mrgreen: =D>