McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
makecry
makecry

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Is it just me or there is not a whole lot of visible upgrades?

nzjrs

makecry wrote:
11 May 2017, 18:47
Is it just me or there is not a whole lot of visible upgrades?
It's not just you. In comparison to the others it looks quite bare.

daren_p
daren_p

Okay McLaren, where is this big update package? What are others seeing in these pics so far? Only thing that has jumped out at me is the revised winglet thing in front of the rear tire.

Edit: Actually looking back at the last posted shots, its not too clear but it looks like even this version has been run before (thought it use to have a shorter support but looks like it could be the same longer support)

proteus

daren_p wrote:
11 May 2017, 20:01
Okay McLaren, where is this big update package? What are others seeing in these pics so far? Only thing that has jumped out at me is the revised winglet thing in front of the rear tire.

Edit: Actually looking back at the last posted shots, its not too clear but it looks like even this version has been run before (thought it use to have a shorter support but looks like it could be the same longer support)
Why would u push the upgrades if u know that u cant make them work if the cars can get u from 300metres behind on the straight?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

daren_p
daren_p

proteus wrote:
11 May 2017, 20:12
daren_p wrote:
11 May 2017, 20:01

Why would u push the upgrades if u know that u cant make them work if the cars can get u from 300metres behind on the straight?
Because McLaren already stated if you don't keep up development (even if you're lacking power), you'll end up falling behind if/when the power does come (so they would keep the push on the chassis/aero side). They said their was supposed to be a good size upgrade package here....

f1rules
f1rules

Not everything is shown at scruteenering, but if you guys expect a new car, be prepared to be didsapointed, so far they introduced a lot compared to others so. If i where to quess, so far they updated the front to get the flow structures down stream in place, maybe a new diffuser is introduced this weekend adapted to the front tweaks

daren_p
daren_p

By no means am I expecting a new car but was hoping for a few visible tweaks as some area's still seem rather undeveloped compared to other teams. I don't think MCL has really brought more then the other teams so far this year, they seem to be about average. Still, like you say, possibly more to come over the weekend, maybe their looking to get a baseline before swapping some new parts. I was just curious if others had spotted something I had missed so far.

Does look like they've fitted blown axles, which I believe is a first this season.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Mclaren is always one of those teams that shows very little on scruteenering.

But also Mercedes style upgrade in current situation maybe is to much to expect...bigger things to sort out now.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

f1rules
f1rules

Agree, but yeah i havent spotted a lot yet either so, i do hope for more definitly
Edit
One thing i would really like the tech journalists to ask, is to mclaren why they dont have the slits in front of the rear tyres, its an area everybody refined, mclaren also until this season, is it symonds thats on bbc, he should know

godlameroso

The front and rear wings are tweaked, as are the barge boards and floor near the rear tires. All it takes sometimes is a mm here and a mm there to have profound changes. I see it as a pretty decent update, shapes have been tweaked, that means the underlying concept is working and just needs to be strengthened by evolving what is already there. People here thought that they were going to bring a whole new car as if their shapes were bad to begin with, the aero is good. The rest of the chassis still needs work, so any updates are not things that will be obvious to the eyes.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

New difussor for tomorrow i hear...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

F1Krof

It's such a beautiful elegant car, lots of details and very efficient (except its PU of course). Its such a shame we won't be able to see its full potential. :( :( :(
Wroom wroom

f1rules
f1rules

GoranF1 wrote:
11 May 2017, 21:31
Ok that would be exactly my quess,

Sec maybe its just the angle and light but the sidepod downwash is more agressive?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_jjhwvXUAINR97.jpg

ncassi22
ncassi22

f1rules wrote:
11 May 2017, 21:46
GoranF1 wrote:

Sec maybe its just the angle and light but the sidepod downwash is more agressive?
Maybe. The cooling outlets are angled more upwards at the back.

f1rules
f1rules

Yeah i think so to
ncassi22 wrote:
11 May 2017, 21:55
f1rules wrote:
11 May 2017, 21:46
GoranF1 wrote:

Maybe. The cooling outlets are angled more upwards at the back.