Question about industry in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
majki2111

Question about industry in F1

OK so I'. 18 years old Croatian who will start studying in "Faculty of Chemical Engineering and Technology" in Zagreb.

1.So I was wondering do chemical engineers contribute to F1 somehow? Do they work anywhere?
2.People with which profession (engineers of what?) develop all the hybrid power unites? Can chemical technical contribute here?

P.S. My studying programme is called "chemistry and engineering of materials". The goal is to develop materials and works like that.

Thanks in advance.

Manoah2u

Re: Question about industry in F1

1. Yes, you will find this in the oil department mostly, combustion. Shell, Petronas, Esso, Mobil, and so on. Engineering to find ways to improve fuel to make it more efficient, or more stable when igniting/combusting.

offcourse chemical engineering itself can go a variety of ways and is not confined to combustibles. Fluids in other mechanical parts are interesting, too, cooling aswell.
Hybrid technology offcourse recently was 're-invented' (its actually really old) so the market here is expanding and open for advancements. The electric parts have moving parts
too and then you'll end up at lubrificants and ways to make these improve reliability, efficiency and lower wear and fatigue on materials.

in basic, 'materials' get 'invented' due to constant research on several materials, carbonfiber one to be applied in F1 for several decades now. I dont know how long it will take, but carbon fibre itself has been opened up to be even stronger when combined with other materials (plastics), and there is a wealth of technological engineering there, though that probably means your 'study' is in another devision.

i'm personally inclined to advice looking into relavitely unknown or unused materials that are cheap and workable by tools which allow it to be constructed in a certain way, which today is difficult or not yet possible because proper tooling isnt yet 'developed'. for example, there was a time when cars were handbuilt from relatively thick metal; it was the only 'workable' material around that also was 'affordable'. years of research and technological advancement lead to use plastics and fiberglass and computers/robots.
carbon fibre is around for rather a while now, and it actually was around for rather a while before it got 'introduced' into F1. today, Carbon fibre is relatively 'easy' to work with, but in the late 70's that definately wasn't the case.

in other words, there are materials out there that can be used for several purposes, but to be able to apply it depends on the tools which it requires. lower tool costs, lower construct costs, raise interest in these materials.

that is just from the top of my head , you never know if it may help. good luck with your study and may you find yourself into the magnificient world of F1 one day, if that is your desire.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

majki2111

Yes it is my desire to be in F1. I'm fascinated by advanced technology there and even more I am fascinated by people who work there.

1.When it comes to fuel stuff, I am not sure how many years we have left with fuel we all know. What about electric stuff in F1? There must some room for chemical engineers, right?
2.It sound like you are saying carbonfiber will remain here for many more years. No research there or rules doesnt allow?
3.Btw, my faculty is also giving lectures about nanotechnology. Im not informed well about it yet but is there any nanotechnology in F1, if not now, will there ever be?

And how do this companies aploy workers. Do they care where are you from? Where you graduated...

Manoah2u

i wouldnt focus too much on F1 for your future, if you can go and get educated in nanotechnology, that's the way to go.
go with ground-breaking stuff that will be useful for the future.
this will also help you eventually get - if possible - a job in F1.

research in CF is ongoing, and im not talking in F1 per se. F1 only has research by team engineers. outside, the ideas enter from other source, aerospace for example.

my point is that you'd do wise in doing a study in a degree or direction that will guarantee you work for life.
something with little to zero knowledge at this point is something that could bring new forms of interest in the future.

if something is groundbreaking enough, it can end up in f1. i wouldnt let your future f1 career depend too much on the idea to end up in f1 though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

majki2111

I dont know about nanotechnology much yet. The faculty isnt focusing on nanotechnology, but it is just giving me optional subject "enter into nanotechnology", "nanocompozits"..., but there are also many other subjects that I can opt for. What to take? Any advice? First time I'll be able to choose optional subject is in my 6th semester. Long way to go, and I haven't even started yet.

BTW, no good industry here in Croatia.

majki2111

Hah another two questions I have.
1. For job inside a team as an engineer, do you apply for it or do they find you somehow?? Is it difficult for people from middle Europe or east Europe to get a job there? I ask that cause I don't know any person in F1 from this area. They are mostly from UK, Germany, Italy.

2.Is F1 still the pinnacle of engineering and technology? I know it is advanced, bu is it a pinnacle? I'm starting to doubt it, I don't know why.

krisfx

majki2111 wrote:Hah another two questions I have.
1. For job inside a team as an engineer, do you apply for it or do they find you somehow?? Is it difficult for people from middle Europe or east Europe to get a job there? I ask that cause I don't know any person in F1 from this area. They are mostly from UK, Germany, Italy.

2.Is F1 still the pinnacle of engineering and technology? I know it is advanced, bu is it a pinnacle? I'm starting to doubt it, I don't know why.

You apply just like any other job for F1 jobs :)

noname

majki2111 wrote:2.Is F1 still the pinnacle of engineering and technology? I know it is advanced, bu is it a pinnacle?
Maybe start from defining what does it mean pinnacle?

cramr

Except you are be the best of the best in something you'll have to apply and do a normal recruiting process as in any other job. Nobody will come find you, specially in a Junior or strating position. I strongly recommend you to do a MSc (or even PHD) in a UK university like Oxford Brookes (my case), Crandfield University, Hertfordshire, etc about Motorsport or something related, that will increase the chance for you to get a Job in that sector. Also some teams have programs with those universities so recruit graduates

hope this helps

majki2111

cramr wrote:
Except you are be the best of the best in something you'll have to apply and do a normal recruiting process as in any other job. Nobody will come find you, specially in a Junior or strating position. I strongly recommend you to do a MSc (or even PHD) in a UK university like Oxford Brookes (my case), Crandfield University, Hertfordshire, etc about Motorsport or something related, that will increase the chance for you to get a Job in that sector. Also some teams have programs with those universities so recruit graduates

hope this helps
It doesnt, i started studying here in Zagreb. I hope it works well. Currently my all subject are becoming physic. With quantum mechanic, kinematics, Newton's main principles, vector, forces... Not my favourite stuff, so many work to be done. I'm hoping it is the same abroad. My faculty is part of ECTS system. So it should be more equal than before.

noname

majki2111 wrote:It doesnt, i started studying here in Zagreb. I hope it works well. Currently my all subject are becoming physic. With quantum mechanic, kinematics, Newton's main principles, vector, forces... Not my favourite stuff, so many work to be done. I'm hoping it is the same abroad. My faculty is part of ECTS system. So it should be more equal than before.
This "stuff" is what engineers deal with every day.

It may seem boring and disconnected from reality, but if you want to write poems you do have to learn alphabet.

majki2111

OK, I am going to local oil refinery next friday. Any suggestions on what should I ask? Any things related to F1?