Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Vasconia

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

WaikeCU wrote:
22 May 2017, 10:22
It's going to be a long race and any yellow flag caution situation can cause the field to reshuffle. The race isn't won in turn 1, unlike how F1 can be, but it's probably the most stressful situation of the race when the cars a three wide and bunched up. It's vital to get off to a good start, survive the first few laps and settle in a good rhythm within the pack. After that, it's managing the car/race early on and move up with the leading cars when the window is there. 5th is a good position to start and the win is within grabs. We all know Fernando's capabilities: He's one on of the best/fastest racers out there, probably one of the most intelligent racers as well. Looking at his outings on IMS, he really makes use of the whole width of the track, almost brushing barriers. I just hope his oval inexperience doesn't cost him the race win, when it matters.
If he survives the first laps he could have a chance, but yes, the race is really long and anything can happen. His performance so far is impressive.

Engine change and 5th position its like a combination of his Ferrari-McLaren eras. :mrgreen:

J.A.W.

Scott Dixon qualifies 1 - pole position, well done.
& IMO, he's a driving talent worthy of an F1 career.. if only getting an F1 drive was still primarily talent-based..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

DiogoBrand

One of my biggest surprises is how welcoming Americans are to foreign drivers. I was watching last year's 500 and Tony Kanaan seems quite popular there. Almost no one knows that he exists here in Brazil, yet for some reason he seems to be quite popular there in the United States.
Pretty much the same goes for Alonso, even the commentators always talk about how the crowd cheers for him.

I guess I'm a bit ignorant for taking too seriously that stereotype of "Build a wall! We don't want any immigrants stealing our jobs! Get back to your country!", but anyway it was a nice surprise.

Vasconia

DiogoBrand wrote:
23 May 2017, 08:53
One of my biggest surprises is how welcoming Americans are to foreign drivers. I was watching last year's 500 and Tony Kanaan seems quite popular there. Almost no one knows that he exists here in Brazil, yet for some reason he seems to be quite popular there in the United States.
Pretty much the same goes for Alonso, even the commentators always talk about how the crowd cheers for him.

I guess I'm a bit ignorant for taking too seriously that stereotype of "Build a wall! We don't want any immigrants stealing our jobs! Get back to your country!", but anyway it was a nice surprise.
This is because Alonso has already a job, so he is not going to steal any job. :mrgreen:

Now seriously, I thik that F1 drivers have an special charm there so it´s great to see the welcoming atmosphere. =D>

erlik

Is it to late for Alonso and Mclaren to stay in Indycar and try to win championship there (now when Alonso learned ovals and road races should not be a problem)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dren

DiogoBrand wrote:

The media is not to be trusted. We were built on immigration. Trump is all for immigration, as long as it's legal.
Honda!

Postmoe

dren wrote:
26 May 2017, 20:39
DiogoBrand wrote:

The media is not to be trusted. We were built on immigration. Trump is all for immigration, as long as it's legal.
Three years ago I was told, at flagstaff, that I wasn't suposed to be there. That happened while asking for directions at a gas station, and the first girl I tried to ask for help ran to her car as soon as she saw me. Like in a zombie movie, but I was only somehow a kind of hipster in pink shorts driving a new Focus and not familiar with U.S octanes standards. No blood on my lips.

The guy that told me that, he couldn't even grasp the fact that somebody from spain could be a tourist. He was refusing to believe "we've got a lot of trouble here", he said. Not unfriendly though, just very, very confused.

So, while the majority of people on my trip through Arizona were über-nice, always asking about my Ducati cap (they were really into caps it seems), MAN, that weird moment at the gas station was quite something and tells something about being "all for immigration as long it's legal".

I mean... yes and no. It's seems to me it's quite an huge country, very variable.

DiogoBrand

Anyone has a link for a live stream?

basti313

Is the start delayed or not? I did not find good info...
Don`t russel the hamster!

flynfrog

Pre race stating now.

Reminder we will be in live chat

http://www.f1technical.net/live

Chanman141

This is another live stream in quite good quality for any who are having problems with other sites, it's on YouTube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYetnfxq9vk

dren

Postmoe wrote:
28 May 2017, 11:50
dren wrote:
26 May 2017, 20:39
DiogoBrand wrote:

Three years ago I was told, at flagstaff, that I wasn't suposed to be there. That happened while asking for directions at a gas station, and the first girl I tried to ask for help ran to her car as soon as she saw me. Like in a zombie movie, but I was only somehow a kind of hipster in pink shorts driving a new Focus and not familiar with U.S octanes standards. No blood on my lips.

The guy that told me that, he couldn't even grasp the fact that somebody from spain could be a tourist. He was refusing to believe "we've got a lot of trouble here", he said. Not unfriendly though, just very, very confused.

So, while the majority of people on my trip through Arizona were über-nice, always asking about my Ducati cap (they were really into caps it seems), MAN, that weird moment at the gas station was quite something and tells something about being "all for immigration as long it's legal".

I mean... yes and no. It's seems to me it's quite an huge country, very variable.
Yeah, it varies where you are. Arizona is probably the size of Spain, and it is one of 50 states! Hats/caps are big in the states, so are sports shoes. Not sure what you'd refer to them as?
Honda!

zac510

Thanks for the live stream links.

flynfrog