Crosswinds and the Shark Fin

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
strad

Crosswinds and the Shark Fin

Do you still think the added surface of the shark fin doesn't make them more sensitive to crosswinds? :P
I think Barcelona has proved my point. It only makes sense.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tommy Cookers

Re: Crosswinds and the Shark Fin

well, I'll bite on this .....

the fin could even reduce this sensitivity
ie 'crosswind' drag component is increased but it acts closer to the CG and so the disadvantageous yaw moment is reduced

how can we think that the cars (if without a fin) aren't directionally unstable aerodynamically ? - eg the Jaguar 'D' type fin

strad

Yes Tommy, I'm sure you're right .
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

you do realized that the more surface area for the crosswind to act upon the more effect it will have.
We are talking crosswinds.
Sir Stirling Moss

santos

strad wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:43
you do realized that the more surface area for the crosswind to act upon the more effect it will have.
So why it is used in LMP1 and LMP2 cars? Don't they suffer the same effect?

Dazed1

Wouldn't the major problem with crosswind be in "lift" as in reducing downforce, and wouldn't the fin then kill lift by changing the car shape(viewed from the side) into a much poorer lift body? ( As a disclaimer, I don't have a damned clue what I am talking about!) :)

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

I would recommend watching these two videos for explanations on shark fins in both LMP1/2 and F1. Might save a lot of "guessing" from needing to be done here. :D

EDIT: For some reason I can't get the videos to embed properly... Here are the separate links
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUyc98MvPug --- LMP1/2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZmAD75cRA --- F1

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

wesley123

santos wrote:
24 May 2017, 22:03
strad wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:43
So why it is used in LMP1 and LMP2 cars? Don't they suffer the same effect?
They most likely do. However, having a negative effect in crosswinds does not defeat it's original purpose
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

strad

Neither video will play
They most likely do. However, having a negative effect in crosswinds does not defeat it's original purpose
Thank you! That was my point way back.
I am sure that the more exposed surface area does have an effect in crosswinds. We saw that at Spain. However with a good driver that can learn to expect and counter those forces, the other effects apparently more than offset the being more sensitive to crosswinds.
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Canada+ crosswinds=stability problems.
They sure didn't seem this sensitive pre shark fin.
Oh well,, I'm sure there's no correlation.
Sir Stirling Moss