Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
adrianjordan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

Morteza wrote:
24 May 2017, 15:20

Via AMuS
What will be the purpose of those 2 allen key bolts on the top of the crash structure? I assume they're to adjust something, but what?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

dans79

zioture wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:05
We don't usually get shots where you can actually read the FIA stickers, but if I'm interpreting it correctly Mercedes in on its 8th (H) front wing spec.

Anyone have any insight into how to read the stickers?
197 104 103 7

dans79

adrianjordan wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:09
What will be the purpose of those 2 allen key bolts on the top of the crash structure? I assume they're to adjust something, but what?
Those aren't bolts, those are drive sockets that connect to a regular ratchet. The holes they are shown in, are probably just access holes to adjust/fasten something on the upper rear wishbone.
197 104 103 7

CBeck113

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:08
A question for fellow enthusiasts - would you agree that separate/isolated CFD of Merc super-ted-cape could give us an answer to its general function?

I'm very interested in this and I think it could show us a general trend even isolated (center section of the wing, nose cone and the cape). If not, I would be willing to spend a few more days after initial CFD to try and make and adequate model of its surrounding...
Hi Vanja, I don't think so - I believe that it is there to protect the Y250 and the rest of the flow between the tires from the air coming off/around the nose (remember the Ferrair F14T with its rounded nose cone? They're looking for even cleaner flow), especially in corners, where the airflow increases to one side, most likely changing the trajectory of the vortices from the front wing. The added lift from its shape can be countered with more wing up front, as well as the positive effect it will have downstream.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

adrianjordan

dans79 wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:30
adrianjordan wrote:
Those aren't bolts, those are drive sockets that connect to a regular ratchet. The holes they are shown in, are probably just access holes to adjust/fasten something on the upper rear wishbone.
Cool thanks
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

BanMeToo

dans79 wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:23
We don't usually get shots where you can actually read the FIA stickers, but if I'm interpreting it correctly Mercedes in on its 8th (H) front wing spec.

Anyone have any insight into how to read the stickers?
Are we sure they're FIA stickers? Could just be from Merc production line. I see FW 286, NOSE 182, SPEC H ...

dans79

BanMeToo wrote:
24 May 2017, 20:35
Are we sure they're FIA stickers? Could just be from Merc production line. I see FW 286, NOSE 182, SPEC H ...
Could be that to I guess, I just always assumed they where FIA inspection stickers. Still, assuming they started at A at the beginning of the season, that's a lot of revisions.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:30
adrianjordan wrote:
I think they line up with the wires that help support the rear floor by hanging off the rear crash structure. I think they use the tools to move some captive fastener to attach the wires. By leaving the tools in they probably show that they haven't been fully tightened (or they're going to be removing it again shortly).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

CBeck113 wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:38
Vanja #66 wrote:
24 May 2017, 19:08
A question for fellow enthusiasts - would you agree that separate/isolated CFD of Merc super-ted-cape could give us an answer to its general function?

I'm very interested in this and I think it could show us a general trend even isolated (center section of the wing, nose cone and the cape). If not, I would be willing to spend a few more days after initial CFD to try and make and adequate model of its surrounding...
Hi Vanja, I don't think so - I believe that it is there to protect the Y250 and the rest of the flow between the tires from the air coming off/around the nose (remember the Ferrair F14T with its rounded nose cone? They're looking for even cleaner flow), especially in corners, where the airflow increases to one side, most likely changing the trajectory of the vortices from the front wing. The added lift from its shape can be countered with more wing up front, as well as the positive effect it will have downstream.
It looks like it generates a vortex that is then directed by the barge boards around the side pods. Perhaps it goes under the leading edge of the floor but I think not. By lifting the leading edge the way they have, a vortex will be generated that runs along the top of the "cape" and is then pushed outwards by the raised central section. It then gets directed by the devices further back, in front of the side pods.

Edit: Does anyone else remember the discussion earlier in the year about delta wing vortex lift? It was discussed with regards to the leading edge of the front wing being angled backwards.

Well, I think this device is utilising exactly this effect - vortex lift - in order to generate a vortex that is used to good effect further back on the car. To help picture what the air is doing on the raised front section of the "cape", herewith an image:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vanja #66

That's an interesting thought, though I'm not sure it's the same as the nose cone has it's influence. And since they've narrowed it, it's safe to guess the influence of it is not positive... How about that same idea, but on the under side? Back end of the cape looks very similar to diffuser obviously, so who's to say it isn't "protecting" the under side vortices from outer flow structures?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 May 2017, 21:47
I think they line up with the wires that help support the rear floor by hanging off the rear crash structure.
That's another good possibility as well.
197 104 103 7

diego.liv

There were rumours yeasterday about the reasons for the presence of Jo Bauer and co in the Merc garage, apparently it was to verify the legaly of the new rear end of the car

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2017/05 ... o-una.html

SiLo

The FIA has mandated that the bottom of the crash structures can't use a small metal section that the rear jack sits on. Apparently in that recent Billy Monger crash that metal section split the crash structure causing the damage to be greater.

Source
Felipe Baby!

ChrisDanger

Barge board detail, Monaco.

Mattchu

Wow that really is some intricate stuff going on. The weird thing is when you look at it from this angle it looks like the front 3 turning vanes are very close to the 3 further back (which all look close together).
Also it looks like the guy/team who designed the circled part took inspiration from my fishing hip flask!

I wonder how susceptable this type of design is to strong side winds, could they unbalance the car much?