Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

Mudflap wrote:
04 May 2017, 21:45
J.A.W. wrote:
04 May 2017, 05:08
I wonder if Renault is utilizing its partner in Nippon, Nissan - for things that may be useful in F1..
..like this external engine balance system for a 3 throw crankshaft: www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVE ... r12de.html
Why would you need that in a rigidly mounted engine ?
It only adds inertia and increases the bending moment in the crankshaft.
Yeah right.. 'cause a tiny 1.6 litre V6 engine aint vibratory enough - to concern the functions of essential componentry..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

PlatinumZealot

F1 Engines have waay more balancers than a street engine you would be surprised to know how many. I think the NA V8 engines had like 18 balancers. Don't know how much these V6 have though. Probably at least ten.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 May 2017, 04:37
F1 Engines have waay more balancers than a street engine you would be surprised to know how many. I think the NA V8 engines had like 18 balancers. Don't know how much these V6 have though. Probably at least ten.
You probably mean dampers.
How many balancers do you think you need to cancel second order moments and forces?

Show me one source citing multiple balancers on the V8s. The RET article on the toyota v8 does not mention a single one. Nor does the honda paper on their V8 (which I can share). Nor does the BMW paper on their v10/v8.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

J.A.W. wrote:
05 May 2017, 01:40
Mudflap wrote:
04 May 2017, 21:45
J.A.W. wrote:
04 May 2017, 05:08
I wonder if Renault is utilizing its partner in Nippon, Nissan - for things that may be useful in F1..
..like this external engine balance system for a 3 throw crankshaft: www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVE ... r12de.html
Why would you need that in a rigidly mounted engine ?
It only adds inertia and increases the bending moment in the crankshaft.
Yeah right.. 'cause a tiny 1.6 litre V6 engine aint vibratory enough - to concern the functions of essential componentry..
No doubt about that. But isolators are a much simpler and neater solution.

PlatinumZealot

Mudflap wrote:
05 May 2017, 08:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 May 2017, 04:37
You probably mean dampers.
How many balancers do you think you need to cancel second order moments and forces?

Show me one source citing multiple balancers on the V8s. The RET article on the toyota v8 does not mention a single one. Nor does the honda paper on their V8 (which I can share). Nor does the BMW paper on their v10/v8.
Appologies. I made the post past my bed time. I meant dampers.
I have no idea if there are mumerous balancers!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

baybars
baybars

I read a news about motor problem on AMUS.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 25243.html

I have translated it.As I understand Renault have 5 construction. Four of them have been solved and ready for next step.
But fifth problem has been added in bahreyn test.As I understand MGU-H(Carlos sains lost MGH)
Engineer has no answer about fifth problem yet.

Unc1eM0nty

I've been looking for an article I read from a link on the forum, annoying I can't find it now.

Anyway it was a Renault engineer talking about the long awaited engine upgrade, it mentions a 5kg weight saving, 1kg of which was due to the removal on an air bottle needed for cooling.

I've noticed these before in shots of striped down cars, or pics of a mangles chassis after a crash, what are these air bottles used for exactly ?

lio007

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
25 May 2017, 14:40
I've been looking for an article I read from a link on the forum, annoying I can't find it now.

Anyway it was a Renault engineer talking about the long awaited engine upgrade, it mentions a 5kg weight saving, 1kg of which was due to the removal on an air bottle needed for cooling.

I've noticed these before in shots of striped down cars, or pics of a mangles chassis after a crash, what are these air bottles used for exactly ?
Here is an article, but I've the impression there is a more recent one where this air bottle was mentioned:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... st-895156/

PlatinumZealot

Unc1eM0nty wrote:

That was an MGUK upgrade If I remember. No power increase just lighter weight.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Unc1eM0nty

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 May 2017, 00:52
Unc1eM0nty wrote:

That was an MGUK upgrade If I remember. No power increase just lighter weight.
But what does the air bottle cool exactly ?

PlatinumZealot

I wonder if it is for cooling anyway. I think liquid would be more the thing to use. Mybe that air bottle is for some other purpose. It cost too much weight and resources to blow air around in tight pipe lines. Versus pumping water.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lio007

New engine oil by Exxon for RBR this weekend!
http://www.redbullracing.com/article/mo ... e-reaction

baybars
baybars

At least upgraded motor will be run on baku gp https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2271 ... ed-at-baku

ME4ME

Aah so not only delayed but also worse than planned. Renault still not delivering #-o

godlameroso

ME4ME wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 18:36
Aah so not only delayed but also worse than planned. Renault still not delivering #-o
Red Bull is currently .6 or .7 seconds behind Ferrari, so an extra tenth is still useful, a .3 second difference is all it takes for external factors to affect performance between cars. External factors being driver performance, nature of the track, weather conditions, tire compounds used etc.
Saishū kōnā