The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Stormy

The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

Manufacturers are mainly competing in Formula 1 for two things and that's developing and showcasing state-of-the-art technology. However, the future of the automotive and transport technology is fully-electric engines and autonomous driving. This is technology that is totally opposite of F1's signature trademark. That's why we got Formula E which showcases fully-electric technology and Roborace which is autonomous racing.

So, in 10 years time, what technology will F1 have? Is it possible that F1 will lose the status of the pinnacle of technology because fully-electric engines let alone autonomous driving can't be introduced in F1? Will FOM and FIA have to introduce lesser technology? If they do that, manufacturers like Merc, Renault and Honda would not like to race with lesser technology. They are mainly in the sport to develop and showcase new technology.

It looks like FOM and FIA have to make some very hard calls in the future in order to preserve F1's integrity. Nevertheless, it looks like they can't save everything.

What's your take on this?

notsofast

Re: The Future Of F1 As The Pinnacle Of Technology Is Endangered?

I think a minor but important correction might be in order. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, not necessarily the pinnacle of technology.

Historically, F1 was about using/inventing whatever you could to make the cars go faster around a track. In the last 20 years or so, we seem to have reached the limit of how fast we are willing to go. F1 is now mostly about overcoming artificial limitations. The future of F1 does seem questionable if there is no desire to reach 400 or 500 kph someday.

Stormy

notsofast wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 17:20
Historically, F1 was about using/inventing whatever you could to make the cars go faster around a track.

...by implementing most advanced technology. No other motorsport series ever was more technologically developed and complex than F1.

NathanE

Maybe even better we go back to the era of wild privateers, the days of Chapman, Brabham, McLaren, Ferrari etc.

Leave electric robo racing to uber, tesla and see some of the character replace bland corporate pr and rulebound nonsense

FrukostScones

F1 days are numbered.

especially with RB dictating the rules now. (just in: Malone and Mateschitz team up to make F1 great again.)

FE could be the future for sure.

But there are no challenges left. It's over kids. You missed the big part.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Stormy

FrukostScones wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 17:59
(just in: Malone and Mateschitz team up to make F1 great again.)
Actually, i was inspired to open this thread because of this information. RB are pushing for simpler engines. Merc, Renault and Honda may like this idea (although we can't be sure) because it will be more road-relevant.

For the time being it sounds good because the engine will remain technologically complex yet simpler for an independent engine manufacturer to join and exclusively team up with RB.
However, Ferrari won't like simpler engines and we all know Liberty Media can't put on any show without Ferrari. It will be a huge battle and lots of nasty politics for the 2020 engine regulations.

However, from this point of view, the future doesn't look bright for F1 when the 2030 regulations come
Last edited by Stormy on 05 Jun 2017, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

Stormy wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 18:04
FrukostScones wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 17:59
(just in: Malone and Mateschitz team up to make F1 great again.)
Actually, i was inspired to open this thread because of this information. RB are pushing for simpler engines. Merc, Renault and Honda may like this idea (although we can't be sure) because it will be more road-relevant.
I don't think less efficient engines are more road-relevant.
And I don't think the manufacturers like the idea.
To have invested Millions to Billions for the bin.
RB wants engine equality (and not mainly cheaper engines).
The cry when they dont win all the time.
They are spoilsports who play the same stupid game again. ("We quit If you don't let us win, (by creating engine equality")
RB wants to create F1 Jurassic Park.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Greg Locock

Please nominate three technologies that were developed specifically for F1 and then were used successfully in production cars. Or two. Or one.

Singabule

Diacil cylinder? CF body? Ceramic brake? Nitrogen tyres? EBD? Inconnel in road (not rocket)?

Greg Locock

I don't know about the others but anyone putting nitrogen in their tires in the real world hasn't read the test reports. Thinkabout it, if it worked why wouldn't we use it when certifying vehicles?

krisfx

Greg Locock wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 00:51
Please nominate three technologies that were developed specifically for F1 and then were used successfully in production cars. Or two. Or one.
There are plenty that have filtered down. A quick Google, maybe?

Greg Locock

Come on then, with dates. I agree about CF bodies.

wuzak

Greg Locock wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 07:37
Isn't that a hand-me-down from aviation?

Like disc brakes and ceramic brakes.

Tim.Wright

I'd say the amount of non-gimmick concepts which were truly born in motorsport and then applied to everyday series production vehicles (i.e. not supercars) is approximately zero or at least completely negligible. The only one I can think of is some of the technologies in the diesel direct injection of the Audi LMP1 cars from a few years ago.

On the other hand F1 teams have been using their road-car departments R&D to help them in a lot of different areas in recent times. Mercedes for example have been using their commercial vehicles departments to help with the turbo engine and clutch developments.
Not the engineer at Force India

krisfx

Greg Locock wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 07:37
Why should I provide something that you can Google yourself? I'm not your PA.