Hyundai's take on F1: Burning money

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
foxmulder_ms

Hyundai's take on F1: Burning money

Competing in the top echelon of motorsport isn't on the cards for one of the world's most ambitious car makers.
A great way to lose money: that's how Hyundai views Formula 1, regarded as the pinnacle of motorsport.
Speaking at a media event to showcase its new N performance sub-brand, its boss, Albert Biermann, was scathing of F1's ability to shed money.
"Formula 1 is like burning money," says Biermann. "There are more interesting ways of burning money."
Top F1 teams such as Ferrari, Mercedes-AMG and Red Bull each spend hundreds of millions of dollars annually on the sport.
While it can be a fantastic marketing tool - its Ferrari's prime marketing spend and has helped boost the brand image of Mercedes-AMG - it can also backfire.
Just ask Honda, which is currently pumping hundreds of millions into F1 as an engine supplier only to post poor results and cop heavy criticism on reliability and performance.
Toyota, too, struggled in F1, failing to achieve its goal of winning a championship.
However, despite shunning F1, Hyundai sees other forms of motorsport as a crucial component of its big task to grow its upcoming N sub-brand.
"It's essential to have that link to the high emotional racing environment, this is why we initiated the TCR project," Bierman says of the project to develop a car to race in the Touring Car Racing championship. "TCR is developing nicely into a global racing platform and this is exactly what we need, we need that race car out there."
Years ago Hyundai was reported to be in talks with F1, however, nothing eventuated.

This is sad to hear but I absolutely agree with him. F1 should have been a place where major manufacturers duking it out but it is becoming almost impossible for big manufacturers to enter. RedBull's unjust criticism on Reneult and Honda's failure created a lot of negative PR. Engine spec debate is another and possibly a more important block. I wish we could see Toyota, Audi and BMW likes in the sport.

ME4ME

Re: Hyundai's take on F1: Burning money

foxmulder_ms wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 17:37
This is sad to hear but I absolutely agree with him. F1 should have been a place where major manufacturers duking it out but it is becoming almost impossible for big manufacturers to enter. RedBull's unjust criticism on Reneult and Honda's failure created a lot of negative PR. Engine spec debate is another and possibly a more important block. I wish we could see Toyota, Audi and BMW likes in the sport.
LOL :lol: :lol:

zac510

I don't know why so many fans carry this ongoing fantasy with having as many manufacturers as possible in F1. They're fickle and jump in and out of F1 as often as their board of directors changes what type of biscuits to serve in their meetings.

There's a finite amount of pie in any sport. you can be sure that if Mercedes and Honda exit F1 and leave behind their pieces of pie then Hyundai would re-consider jumping in to take a piece of it.

marmer

F1 does not need more car companies with the model liberty are going to more of a franchise system
They need personality which is something you don't get from a car company. Ferrari are by far the worst example they have the most rapid fans and yet they block off media put up walls in the pit lane let the drivers pick and choose when they want to do media

And press conference are like pulling teeth to scared to say anything so I am glad Hyundai don't want to do F1

Addition

Any time an idea is pit across to make the sport more open to fans Ferrari bat them away

Mercedes haven't been so bad but you always get the feeling they would stop if they did a McLaren for a couple of seasons.

We need more redbull, force India, Williams and even manor were still interesting if crap

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

giantfan10

marmer wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 18:31
F1 does not need more car companies with the model liberty are going to more of a franchise system
They need personality which is something you don't get from a car company. Ferrari are by far the worst example they have the most rapid fans and yet they block off media put up walls in the pit lane let the drivers pick and choose when they want to do media

And press conference are like pulling teeth to scared to say anything so I am glad Hyundai don't want to do F1

Addition

Any time an idea is pit across to make the sport more open to fans Ferrari bat them away

Mercedes haven't been so bad but you always get the feeling they would stop if they did a McLaren for a couple of seasons.

We need more redbull, force India, Williams and even manor were still interesting if crap

So Ferrari is the team holding back F1 from being more open to the public? ... care to elaborate? What rule did Ferrari bat down? I'm trying really hard to wrap my head around your take on the state of F1 but im having a hard time.

marmer

Block cost reduction
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/10/26/f ... e-cut-fia/

And as soon as every race finish they put up the shutters block off these entire pit lane area as often seen in Ted's notebook

Ferrari s legacy in F1 is tremendous but they would be viewed as out of touch if they had joined F1 recently.

Andres125sx

To me one of the biggest problems in current F1 is the over-regulation of anything but aero. I´ve just read that thread about LeMans where the OP quoted an article explaining the differences between LMP1 cars, and I find it amazing (for F1 standards) there are three different PUs, 4.0 diesel single turbo V6, 2.0 petrol single turbo V4 and 2.4 twin turbo V6, all of them with MGU-K units, but some with MGU-H while others without.

Meanwhile in F1 everything is regulated, cylinder count and layout, displacement, number of turbos, fuel... F1 manufacturers don´t have a fraction of LMP1 manufacturers freedom. At least this season there´s no tokens, but even so the allocation restrictions is enough to stop manufacturers from developing their PUs as much as possible.

Not with aero tough, wich is also severly restricted about the solutions they can use, but there´s no token restriction or allocations restrictions, so they can invest all they want to bring a new car each GP.

To me, even when aero is the department making F1 the fastest cars around a track (at least for a single lap), it should be restricted further to limit costs, for example with the number of allocations (different cars aero wise) they can bring during the season, while the PU should not have so many restrictions. To me a motorsport should never be that restricted in the PU area. Add to that aero is also the department causing so little overtakes during a race, and there´s the excuse to standarize some aero parts to minimize dirty air problem to some extent, while allowing more freedom in the PU area

At least that´s what I´d like to see

Stormy

Who cares about Hyundai, what racing pedigree do they have?

Just_a_fan

Everyone has to start somewhere. Ferrari had no racing pedigree before its first race.

Having said that, Hyundai compete in WRC so they do have racing heritage.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

Stormy wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 14:07
What racing pedigree did RBR had before their F1 entry?

marmer

The team existed before RBR

Moose

Stormy wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 14:07
Said everyone about Ford until the GT beat Ferrari at LeMans.

Stormy

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 15:55
Everyone has to start somewhere. Ferrari had no racing pedigree before its first race.

Having said that, Hyundai compete in WRC so they do have racing heritage.
I agree, but they should not talk that way because they don't have any racing bragging rights. Many manufacturers are afraid to enter F1 because F1 is no walk in the park. Just look at Honda.

Greg Locock

If a manufacturer participates in F1 the money comes from marketing. So when a manufacturer decides not to play they are simply saying that the cost of advertising to F1s audience is not the best use of advertising dollars.

marmer

Greg Locock wrote:If a manufacturer participates in F1 the money comes from marketing. So when a manufacturer decides not to play they are simply saying that the cost of advertising to F1s audience is not the best use of advertising dollars.
Is redbull not the same even if they don't make cars they are in purely for money visibility