Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
George-Jung
33
User avatar
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Anthony, Texas

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by George-Jung » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Kubica for Palmer this year- Hungary

marmer
3
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:48 am

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by marmer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:42 pm

George-Jung wrote:Kubica for Palmer this year- Hungary
Friday practice only this season I suspect

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk


rscsr
51
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:02 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by rscsr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:52 pm

marmer wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:42 pm
George-Jung wrote:Kubica for Palmer this year- Hungary
Friday practice only this season I suspect

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
That would at least make sense. Palmer seem to not become any quicker and therefore it would be best to put Kubica and Hülkenberg on the same program and check if Kubica is as fast and consistent as his test in the E20 suggests.

PlatinumZealot
242
User avatar
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by PlatinumZealot » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:00 pm

dren wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:28 pm
Alonso will stay at Mclaren or jump to Indycar.
Agreed. The McLaren will have a Mercedes engine next year so it will all be good for alonso.
"Raindrops .. drop top!"

ringo
196
User avatar
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by ringo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Honda may also have a second customer in the form of ron dennis and his chinese backers! :D :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

Vasconia
30
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by Vasconia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 am

rscsr wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:52 pm
marmer wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:42 pm
George-Jung wrote:Kubica for Palmer this year- Hungary
Friday practice only this season I suspect

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
That would at least make sense. Palmer seem to not become any quicker and therefore it would be best to put Kubica and Hülkenberg on the same program and check if Kubica is as fast and consistent as his test in the E20 suggests.
Indeed, Kubika should run all the FP1 until the end of the season just to be ready to make a good comeback in 2018.

Macklaren
1
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by Macklaren » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:19 am

My $0.02. I think ALO has 2 choices: stay at Mclaren or retire. I dont think Merc will pair him with HAM and he is most def not going back to Ferrari. If he leaves, its clear that Button will not drive again. I think the most likely replacements for ALO are (a) RIC: if VER destroys him this year, I think RB will put SAI in his seat leaving him free: esp. if McL run Merc engines (b) Rosberg coming out of retirement with nothing to lose and potentially everything to gain if McL can make it back to the top again.

Vasconia
30
User avatar
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
Location: Basque Country

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by Vasconia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:16 am

Macklaren wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:19 am
My $0.02. I think ALO has 2 choices: stay at Mclaren or retire. I dont think Merc will pair him with HAM and he is most def not going back to Ferrari. If he leaves, its clear that Button will not drive again. I think the most likely replacements for ALO are (a) RIC: if VER destroys him this year, I think RB will put SAI in his seat leaving him free: esp. if McL run Merc engines (b) Rosberg coming out of retirement with nothing to lose and potentially everything to gain if McL can make it back to the top again.
I doubt any driver can destroy Ricciardo, beat him? perhaps but I doubt the difference would be too big.

marvin78
2
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by marvin78 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am

To beat him you have to be a good race driver. Verstappen didn't proove that he can be that.

daniellammers
1
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by daniellammers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:04 am

marvin78 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am
To beat him you have to be a good race driver. Verstappen didn't proove that he can be that.
If Verstappen had a bit more luck, he would be ahead of Ricciardo in the Driver Standings.
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

marvin78
2
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by marvin78 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:10 am

I don't think so. In nearly all the races that he has driven to the end, you could see, that he is not always capable of holding his pace through a whole race. He is always good for a few really outstandig laps and good qualifyings but I saw only a very few races where I would say: That was a good one and he managed his tyres well. To set that right: I'm convinced that he can learn that and that he is an outstandig talent in motorsport. But I don't think, that he es a better driver over a whole season, than Ricciardo yet.

And I don't like ifs and whens. I live in the now.

P.S.: Voting me down for that is really ridiculous. It gets worse here. Not everyone who sees things that fanboys don't like is a hater. I for one am not a fan of any driver. I don't even understand why one is.

godlameroso
151
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by godlameroso » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Does Wehrlein stay in Sauber? Does he end up in Force India after Ocon goes to the mothership? Bottas back to Williams with Stroll? What about Mystery Chinese team? Would they use Honda engines? Mercedes or Renault? Ferrari?
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

Jolle
68
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by Jolle » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm

With Sainz, although he's an excellent racer, I got a bit of a Vergne/Buemi dejavu. Might wel that he becomes victim of the RedBull strategy again. I hope he is able to release himself from RedBull and gets picked up by Renault for instance.

Manoah2u
249
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by Manoah2u » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Verstappen @ Ferrari next year alongside Vettel after Ferrari / Vettel just missing out winning the WDC/WCC and decide they need an upgrade from Raikkonen. Thanks ol' boy, you've been great, time to leave though.
Bottas gets replaced by Alonso as Mercedes decides that the competition between Ferrari and Mercedes was too close for comfort and need more from their 2nd driver to which Bottas can't reach.
Bottas goes to Mclaren to pair with VanDoorne, with Mclaren having Mercedes engines. easy deal.
Ricciardo stays at RedBull after missing out on a Ferrari deal and isn't too happy, and gets Sainz alongside him.
Kvyat pisses napalm after that move and leaves Toro Rosso to go and drive for Renault alongside Hulkenberg.
Toro Rosso has Gasly aboard and it's anybody's guess who'll pair him.
Williams says goodbye Massa once again and gets Wehrlein aboard alongside Stroll.
Sauber keeps Ericsson and paires him to Matsushita of Honda.
Haas is happy with the Grosjean-Magnussen combo but let's Grosjean do Indy and LeMans as his french feelings get hurt Ferrari didn't want him.
Force India keeps Ocon as he's doing great and Perez has nowhere else to go so stays another year to be crushed by Ocon.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

ME4ME
121
User avatar
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Post by ME4ME » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Jolle wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm
With Sainz, although he's an excellent racer, I got a bit of a Vergne/Buemi dejavu. Might wel that he becomes victim of the RedBull strategy again. I hope he is able to release himself from RedBull and gets picked up by Renault for instance.
Some perspective on Sainz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DynhXzBO7f0