2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Stormy wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 12:42
GoranF1 wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 12:01
Latest rumors suggesst swap of PU manufactures whit Williams.
Yeah, and this makes more sense than making Sauber their works team. Williams is a better brand and are more capable of designing a good chassis as they already have great engineers in place like Lowe.
Williams hasn´t built a truly good chasis in a while. They have been competitive thanks to the Mercedes PU and where a realy good chasis was required the car was weaker. Don´t me wrong, the chasis was not bad but it wan´t a top one.

diffuser

Stormy wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Yeah, and this makes more sense than making Sauber their works team. Williams is a better brand and are more capable of designing a good chassis as they already have great engineers in place like Lowe.
I think it makes more sense from the stand point that Honda want to supply 2 teams in 2018. I guess with Lowe's recent arrival there, they're not planning on getting anywhere close to the front of the grid next year anyways.

Stormy

diffuser wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 15:34
Stormy wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
I think it makes more sense from the stand point that Honda want to supply 2 teams in 2018. I guess with Lowe's recent arrival there, they're not planning on getting anywhere close to the front of the grid next year anyways.
What do you mean they are not planning to get to the front of the next year with Lowe? They will always aim for fourth in the WCC. However, they can't aim for WCC when they lack resources. However, if they become a works team they are capable of doing that. They got Lowe now so it's a step forward.

etusch

Stormy wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 18:49
diffuser wrote:
Stormy wrote:

What do you mean they are not planning to get to the front of the next year with Lowe? They will always aim for fourth in the WCC. However, they can't aim for WCC when they lack resources. However, if they become a works team they are capable of doing that. They got Lowe now so it's a step forward.
I accept that they have potential to be one of the bests. But I don't accept lowe name. I think team needs a mantality change at management.

ZakB

Stormy wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Let me rephrase that: "as they already have engineers and Lowe."

In the last couple of years I haven't seen anything special come from Williams. The only good thing they did is sign Mercedes.

Some people think resources and money are the same things, but they ain't.

diffuser

Stormy wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Stormy wrote:

I mean they don't expect the chassis to be ready to win races next year. Maybe not till 2019 or 2020. Lowe doesn't just show up and magically everything start to work like a charm.. It took Newey 3 years to start challenging with RB.

ZakB

diffuser wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 21:31
Stormy wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I mean they don't expect the chassis to be ready to win races next year. Maybe not till 2019 or 2020. Lowe doesn't just show up and magically everything start to work like a charm.. It took Newey 3 years to start challenging with RB.
Even with support from Honda, they wouldn't be anywhere close to the budget of Red Bull. I'm pretty sure their facilities are also dated compared to the rest of the leading teams (and McLaren/Renault).

Stormy

diffuser wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 21:31
Stormy wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Well they can't win races as a customer team. Maybe one or two then and there but...definitely not the championship.

As for dated facilities, i guess they can do something on that field with Honda money as well.

Ganxxta

Sure, why not.

At Le Mans Porsche had 1x Hybrid failure and 1x Engine failure (oil pressure) in 2 cars...
So at least McLaren wouldn't have to get used to new things then ;)

And don't come now with "but they won", in F1 there is more than 1 competitor and you can't repair your car during the race.

Still I have more respect for Porsche and Toyota than for Honda, just saying that it would take Porsche maybe also a couple years to build a reliable and powerful F1 engine.
And by that time Alonso would be gone, so even the last few sponsors would leave as well, no money would come to McL as they would fight for the last places and therefore they would be on the edge of bankruptcy.

ZakB

Ganxxta wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 23:17
Sure, why not.

At Le Mans Porsche had 1x Hybrid failure and 1x Engine failure (oil pressure) in 2 cars...

And don't come now with "but they won", in F1 there is more than 1 competitor and you can't repair your car during the race.

Still I have more respect for Porsche and Toyota than for Honda, just saying that it would take Porsche maybe also a couple years to build a reliable and powerful F1 engine.
And by that time Alonso would be gone, so even the last few sponsors would leave as well, no money would come to McL as they would fight for the last places and therefore they would be on the edge of bankruptcy.
Like McLaren wants engines from Porsche or Ferrari, it's not going to happen for obvious reasons.

RS200E

Lol your imagination is great.
Ganxxta wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 23:17
Sure, why not.

The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

diffuser

Stormy wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 21:45

Well they can't win races as a customer team. Maybe one or two then and there but...definitely not the championship.

As for dated facilities, i guess they can do something on that field with Honda money as well.
I know they have a state of the art wind tunnel. they would pay thier PU fees by allowing Ferrari to use it.

Lucky

Is Porsche contemplating a move to F1?
http://en.f1i.com/news/271193-porsche-c ... ve-f1.html

torpor

ZakB wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 22:55
torpor wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 10:02
ZakB wrote:
12 Jun 2017, 03:28

Sorry, but Williams and Force India are both small teams compared to McLaren. They don't have the same resources and with the same engine McLaren should be miles ahead of them. I'm not saying they will beat Mercedes, but they will certainly be closer than those two.
Last time we've seen Williams and McLaren fighting against each other with the same Mercedes engine McLaren was far behind.
They completely reorganised the aero department and it seems like they are on the right track. It's easy to pick a bad season, but I could do the same for Williams in all of the previous years.
I didn't pick any season it's the latest example.

mclaren111

Grandprix.com
Tyre management is not among McLaren's problems in 2017.

McLaren's actual 2017 chassis, however, is arguably one of the best in the field.

One reason for that is McLaren's approach over the winter to preparing for the new, wider and grippier Pirelli tyres.

Although Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull provided 'mule' test cars for the Italian tyre supplier to compile data, it emerges McLaren was also actively engaged with the development process.

"We were the only team to send an observer to all 24 days of testing, and we made more demands for data that the FIA and Pirelli wanted to give us initially," team boss Eric Boullier said.

"So from the beginning we had a good understanding of the tyres, without the need to build a 2015 (test) car," the Frenchman added.
Can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe Eric Boullier is better that I originally stated / thought.

MCL-32 is a good looking car and seems to be working well at all tracks.