Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
HPD

Re: Honda Power Unit

Sayeman

that doesnt look that bad, hope the reliability holds up
Never Give up.

SR71

daverdfw

Looks like old PU going in for rest of weekend

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-h ... ku-922148/

But promising results from new BP fuel and Honda parts

HPD

Hasegawa:

“We came to Baku armed with an update for Fernando’s PU, which we ran during both practice sessions today. Working through our programme in accordance with today’s schedule, I can confirm that we were able to see the effectiveness of the update in the data.

“It was disappointing that Fernando had to stop the car during FP2, and unfortunately for us it was before doing his timed lap, but we still saw certain progress with the power of the PU. Overall, I regard today as positive – we didn’t have any major issues with the new spec PU, and I feel that we’ve taken an encouraging step forward."

Soichiro

SR71 wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 20:33
Spec 3.0 confirmed.

I doubt this was the "3.0" version (more like 2.5). Also they compare top speeds one without and the other with tow. The highest for Alosno was 340+ (tow+DRS) - Somebody posted a picture - 323 should be their "regular" top speed.
Last edited by Soichiro on 23 Jun 2017, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

So it seems that Alonso' s new engine is significantly faster than Vandoorne's. Providing Alonso wasnt getting a tow, this is fantastic news.

I would imagine that the engine and software will need tuning and there is a bit more power available.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

harjan

I don't understand that they won't keep this engine in for qualifying if it's so much better. Who cares that they have to start from the back anyway..

godlameroso

Because then you can have a fresh engine, and no penalties in the next round, and we can see where the car stacks up.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 18:42
etusch wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 18:02
I am happy about that but sory for Alonso's act.
He looks like he will crawl engine engine when he lost front wing
Can you blame him for assuming it was an engine problem after a power loss with a lot of smoke on his mirrors?

Thats normal for any driver, let alone a McHonda driver :roll:
I also think firstly it is PU. This is not strange out of pity. But he was in the car and I think he must have an idea, a sense what is it. From voice etc

etusch

Soichiro wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 20:55
SR71 wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 20:33
Spec 3.0 confirmed.

I doubt this was the "3.0" version (more like 2.5). Also they compare top speeds one without and the other with tow. The highest for Alosno was 340+ (tow+DRS) - Somebody posted a picture - 323 should be their "regular" top speed.
I am very happy for what I read here. this is not complete of update. It is very encouraging second part of season

McL-H

harjan wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 21:42
I don't understand that they won't keep this engine in for qualifying if it's so much better. Who cares that they have to start from the back anyway..
I don't understand this either. For God's sake, get some mileage on that thing! It's needed to acquire as much data as possible. Did they only had 1 ready for this race? If not, I don't get why they are not fitting in another Spec 3 for tomorrow and just race with it. It's not like they've got anything to lose for this weekend. Just stock up a few engines for the next GP. If they do have only 1 Spec3 available, just race it till it breaks apart so you can fix it for the next race. We all know it's going to break soon, so why delay.

Singabule

McL-H wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 01:16
harjan wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 21:42
I don't understand this either. For God's sake, get some mileage on that thing! It's needed to acquire as much data as possible. Did they only had 1 ready for this race? If not, I don't get why they are not fitting in another Spec 3 for tomorrow and just race with it. It's not like they've got anything to lose for this weekend. Just stock up a few engines for the next GP. If they do have only 1 Spec3 available, just race it till it breaks apart so you can fix it for the next race. We all know it's going to break soon, so why delay.
Maybe MCL should adapt the gearbox first afterall

etusch

I am not sure if the PU must be used this race or kept for next. But I am sure both mclaren must be penalty free at Hungary

mclaren111

Motorsport.com:
For despite Alonso’s day ending early due to a gearbox problem, and him not getting a completely clean run in the yellow-flag-interrupted FP2, straightline speed data has produced some positive signs.

The decision has been prompted by the fact that Alonso is already taking a 15-place grid drop for a new MGU-H and turbocharger, so Honda felt it made no sense to put extra mileage on the new unit unnecessarily on a weekend when McLaren will be at the back.
Progress feels so very slow :( :(