2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

RedNEO wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 23:07
etusch wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 23:01
RedNEO wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 22:41

There's a couple of reasons for this difference. One unit is fully turned up because it's testing the new update and one is turned down because it's the older spec. And we are comparing a fully turned up Honda engine to the teams who haven't even turned the wick up on there's because it's Friday. The fact they won't run it again shows they still are not confident on reliability either.
Can you give the link where you read that they will not use this PU anymore?
Comon man, used again this weekend.
Now it is ok. Without "this weekend" it is not.
You must see the reason. You can be someone doesn't like Honda but you don't need to be so pesimist.

Phil

RedNEO wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 23:06
Phil wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 22:57
RedNEO wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 22:33

How many times has the Honda engine broke? A lot more than the gearbox so it's pretty easy to understand why people would think it's the engine especially with all that smoke. Let's not forget Honda have already gone through there entire engine allocation and we are not even half way through the season
I get your point, but given the state they are in, would you rather they not bring a new spec every single race and do as many tests possible? Its logical that they are above the allowed threshold of allowed engines....
It would be logical if those failures came with big performance jumps maybe. But it's currently still a thirsty underpowered and unreliable engine. It started off worse than last years engine and in both power and reliability. It's only taken 4 engines to get back up to that sub-bar level again. But let's applaud that and the fact this engine has helped McLaren to the bottom of the championship. Bravo
This season is a write off, like it or not. The aim should be to find a clear path of what works, no matter the cost. Testing is limited, last year engine development through tokens. This year it isnt, only by number of engines. If it gets them to the top, i'd treat every single session as a testing ground, at least on one of the cars till the season is over, if that is what it takes....
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

diffuser

Phil wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 23:26

This season is a write off, like it or not. The aim should be to find a clear path of what works, no matter the cost. Testing is limited, last year engine development through tokens. This year it isnt, only by number of engines. If it gets them to the top, i'd treat every single session as a testing ground, at least on one of the cars till the season is over, if that is what it takes....

Phil saw his shadow ...the season is a write off! :)

It's been along 3 years ...

diffuser

Sorry Phil you're from Switzerland, might need this to get he joke ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punxsutawney_Phil

ZakB

Phil wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 23:26
RedNEO wrote:
Phil wrote:

I get your point, but given the state they are in, would you rather they not bring a new spec every single race and do as many tests possible? Its logical that they are above the allowed threshold of allowed engines....
It would be logical if those failures came with big performance jumps maybe. But it's currently still a thirsty underpowered and unreliable engine. It started off worse than last years engine and in both power and reliability. It's only taken 4 engines to get back up to that sub-bar level again. But let's applaud that and the fact this engine has helped McLaren to the bottom of the championship. Bravo
Why is it a write off? They only need some more horses and reliability.

Phil

diffuser wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 23:53
Sorry Phil you're from Switzerland, might need this to get he joke ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punxsutawney_Phil
Lol, haha! :D thanks for that! :lol: :oops:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Andres125sx

RedNEO wrote:
The fact they won't run it again shows they still are not confident on reliability either.
I think that´s not the problem. Since testing is banned the only way to test a new engine is in FP, so I think they probably are getting some real world data before dialing in the millions parameters they need to make the whole PU work toghether, or testing on track their first setups to get real world parameters and then verify what works best

I felt prettty dissapointed after reading the new PU will not be used anymore this GP, but considering testing is banned, I understand this is just the final stage of the spec 3.0 development before using it without restrictions

And sincerely, I´m excited. The improvement is noticeable, a new PU will get better and better during the first GPs while it´s optimized, and this is not the full spec 3.0 only part of it :D

Andres125sx

GoranF1 wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 18:37
F1NAC wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 18:22
GoranF1 wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 18:18

Whit Mercedes PU as well as same engine maps and software and same fuel&lub suplier as works Merc team i dont see why not
Because Mercedes will give them same engine maps and fuel.... :lol:
If they are not chickens...yes.
This is F1, there are no chickens, only business men who are not very keen to invest millions to let some other team beat them with their own product. Specially with this PUs wich are so complicated there must be a million ways to decrease power/efficiency of the customers PUs at will, even without breaking any rule

McL-H

Sayeman wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 23:17
RedNEO wrote:
Phil wrote:

Looks like you are quite keen to see the back of Honda, aren't u? The improvement isn't small and Honda should be applauded for that.
I disagree. Honda has become a dissatisfier. It is expected to work, like PUs of the three conpetitors. Speaking in terms of reliability and power. As long as this is not achieved, Honda dissatisfies. Steps forward are to be expected after 3 years, and are not worth applauding for. The McLaren-Honda partnership should have been winning races by now.

Singabule

What an idiot journalist, compare speed with tow and without tow. Mclhonda news is saleable i guess. So MCL transmission couldnt handle the power so that they are reverting to older spec, and still save MCL back in the front of media. Honda is so polite Man! They are not so beautiful wife but very patience with MCL

Ganxxta

isullivan wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 16:11
Someone has to make a compilation of Alonso going "engine, engine" on the radio with a disappointed voice.
Here you go, unfortunately not up to date...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cDWRyw4Gqw

Has some nice quotes in there, especially the last one :lol: poor guy :(

Anyway, I don't understand why they want to go back to old spec PU for the race?
It doesn't make any sense, they start last anyway, the old PU is not reliable either, so in my opinion it would be better to use the new one and get some more race data.
Whats the worse thing that can happen? It will blew up, so no different to old spec.
At least they would have more power until that point. :D

RedNEO

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 00:21
RedNEO wrote:
The fact they won't run it again shows they still are not confident on reliability either.
I think that´s not the problem. Since testing is banned the only way to test a new engine is in FP, so I think they probably are getting some real world data before dialing in the millions parameters they need to make the whole PU work toghether, or testing on track their first setups to get real world parameters and then verify what works best

I felt prettty dissapointed after reading the new PU will not be used anymore this GP, but considering testing is banned, I understand this is just the final stage of the spec 3.0 development before using it without restrictions

And sincerely, I´m excited. The improvement is noticeable, a new PU will get better and better during the first GPs while it´s optimized, and this is not the full spec 3.0 only part of it :D
I can't say I'm surprised your excited since I've seen your previous posts. You said McLaren should wait to see Honda's big upgrade before they decide. After 6 months they deliver a 10bhp improvement. So let's say optimistic projection they manage to get another 10bhp by the end of the year. Then let's account to all the other teams improving there own engines by let's say another 10bhp this year. That means even if Mercedes stood still until the next engine formula Honda still wouldn't be able to match there engine from this year alone. We haven't even got into reliability and fuel consumption. But you go ahead and be excited I won't ruin your enthusiasm for Honda one day making a good engine but I'm just being realistic and McLaren sees it the same way that's why they are moving forwards with plan b.

RedNEO

Ganxxta wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 02:00
isullivan wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 16:11
Someone has to make a compilation of Alonso going "engine, engine" on the radio with a disappointed voice.
Here you go, unfortunately not up to date...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cDWRyw4Gqw

Has some nice quotes in there, especially the last one :lol: poor guy :(

Anyway, I don't understand why they want to go back to old spec PU for the race?
It doesn't make any sense, they start last anyway, the old PU is not reliable either, so in my opinion it would be better to use the new one and get some more race data.
Whats the worse thing that can happen? It will blew up, so no different to old spec.
At least they would have more power until that point. :D
Because they probably know it will break down they are too scared. This way atleast they will convince some Honda enthusiast the update was some kind of great success.
Last edited by RedNEO on 24 Jun 2017, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

ZakB

RedNEO wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 02:07
Andres125sx wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

I can't say I'm surprised your excited since I've seen your previous posts. You said McLaren should wait to see Honda's big upgrade before they decide. After 6 months they deliver a 10bhp improvement. So let's say optimistic projection they manage to get another 10bhp by the end of the year. Then let's account to all the other teams improving there own engines by let's say another 10bhp this year. That means even if Mercedes stood still until the next engine formula Honda still wouldn't be able to match there engine from this year alone. We haven't even got into reliability and fuel consumption. But you go ahead and be excited I won't ruin your enthusiasm for Honda one day making a good engine but I'm just being realistic and McLaren sees it the same way that's why they are moving forwards with plan b.
Who says it's 10bhp?

RedNEO

ZakB wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 02:16
RedNEO wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 02:07
Andres125sx wrote:

Who says it's 10bhp?
Good point, it might be even less. I mean 10bhp is nothing to write home about when your miles away. That's barely a tenth of a second lol