Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

1. Stay with Honda.
63%
2. Switch to Mercedes for 2018, in 2018.
16%
3. Switch to Mercedes for 2018, in 2017 (asap).
20%

Total votes: 158

Andres125sx

Re: Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

Phil wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 11:40
Andres125sx wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 18:54
F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle, and what anyone would expect from the pinnacle is a battle between the best drivers.
Hum, no. Just no.

It's a team-sport. People have to accept that F1 isn't a spec series; it's about multiple teams battling each other.
Sorry Phil but you completely missed the point

We watch a team fight between best teams season by season. Nobody said a word about that. But even when it´s a team fight fans enjoy watching drivers fighting too, but cars are so much more important to drivers nowadays that we no longer have fair fights between drivers if they´re not team mates.

That cause some top drivers like Alonso struggling to enter Q3 while some others with a lot less talent are fighting for victories, that´s the point we were discussing when someone said he don´t like watching Alonso suffering in those poor positions.

You can understand F1 as it is (a competition between teams) but still dislike when the competition between teams is so heavily unbalanced :wink:

Andres125sx

Phil wrote:
I really hate the sympathy Alonso (or anyone other) is getting here
I never considered you a hater, but I´ll have to change my mind after reading this. It´s a shame :(

If you don´t like him, ok, but hating the simpathy any driver is getting is ridiculous Phil. People can´t feel sympathy for whoever they want? :roll:

I really hope you can clarify these words

Singabule

Monisha leave sauber, so the next CEO is Arai?

Phil

No, I don't "hate" Alonso, I am merely referring to the sympathy. I think I made that quite clear. And I pretty much dislike how many technical topics about the car, the team McLaren etc get turned into "oh why doesn't Alonso get the car he deserves". Oh wait, I just added myself to the list of contributors of that too. Oh well...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RedNEO

Singabule wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:36
Monisha leave sauber, so the next CEO is Arai?
She joked about McLaren once saying "At least we don't have a Honda engine in our car"

Maybe this new deal put her off lol

Big Mangalhit

Phil wrote:
... Or do they end this very complicated agreement, take a hit on sponsorship money and salary payments for a better proven engine ...
This is a great point. How easy would it be to McLaren to unilaterally rip off the contracts they have with Honda

marmer

Big Mangalhit wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 13:33
Phil wrote:
... Or do they end this very complicated agreement, take a hit on sponsorship money and salary payments for a better proven engine ...
This is a great point. How easy would it be to McLaren to unilaterally rip off the contracts they have with Honda
very hard or easy depending on the wording of the contract.

one would assume they have performance clauses in the contract. a simple take would be boiling it down to two things

are the performance clauses quantifiable if yes have they been breached. although i expect that wording to be extrapolated many times over covering various topics engine related

Hammerfist

RedNEO wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 11:33
Did Claire Williams accidentally suggest they have already split?

"We are not a cause of the break-up and we are not here ready with a press release saying we are joining forces with them in 2018. We haven't talked to them."
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/ ... gine-talks
Good catch. She actually did!

HPD

25% Mansour Ojjeh + zak brown + Alonso = Mclaren Mercedes 2018 (Remember the meetings with mercedes)
25% Ron Dennis + Eric boullier = Mclaren Honda 2018 (Eric has more hope in Honda)

50% Honda is calm to continue in 2018 = Mumtalakat Honda (?) Maybe.

Proff:
McLaren · Honda, the possibility of continuing in 2018 is 99%. The opponents are Mansour Ogier
http://members.f1-life.net/report/54837/

Macklaren

My crystal ball says -> McLaren will announce Mercedes engines for 2018-19. Honda will pull out of active participation in F1 but will announce a JV with McLaren to build an F1 spec works engine in Sakura/Woking for the new rules in 2020. That way Honda will save face, McLaren will get a works engine and Merc will not worry about sharing IP in the interim. Sauber will keep running Ferrari engines.

godlameroso

Honda isn't going anywhere except in the back of the Saubers, and possibly McLaren in 2018.
Saishū kōnā

foxmulder_ms

McLaren Alfa Romeo (Ferrari). How is that rumor? ! :D

Manoah2u

Never ever gonna happen. Just riding along the hype train momentum purely for attention.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

sAx
sAx

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 18:54
marvin78 wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:15
I don't know why everyone feels bad for someone they don't even know and who earns an awful lot of money for his job
...instead of favouring the driver whose career was paid by the team principal since he was 12....
That Red Bull Team Principal has a lot to answer for :roll: :roll: :roll: !
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

RedNEO

The FIA ramping up on oil burning would be good news in terms of a Mercedes powered McLaren next year battling the works teams in q3. (Alonso's new Honda engine just broke down as i was typing this.)Goodbye Honda hello three pointed star!