2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Samraj_official

Re: 2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

skoop wrote:According to AMuS they'll change the name for the upcoming season to "Force 1"
(http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 93071.html)
They could add something to the force name rather than a bland "1" or give an oppurtunity to their fans to name the team (that would be once in a lifetime opportunity for a fan to name a team 🤗)

WaikeCU

Should be nice if they named the team Forza Motorsport, meaning they could associate it to the race game.

Manoah2u

skoop wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 11:09
According to AMuS they'll change the name for the upcoming season to "Force 1"
lol 'F1'. bernie would have personally set them on fire.
I don't think that name will be it in the end, because of the 'F1'.

I also would really dislike it. I must say, Force India for a long time is one of my absolute favourite teams,
they've been through so much and consistantly getting stronger and stronger. I also quite like the Force India name.
It immediately reminds of Vijay Mallya's involvement - really the force behind this great team, the great playboy,
of Indian descent, AND the times F1 was driving in India.
I've come to grow to like the pink scheme, but i also liked the orange-green-white liveries.

I think a lot of quickly-grown-iconic-heritage is also in the name of that team, and to be honest, changing it, would take that away atleast partially.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

OneAlex

The article mentions that they may or may not retain their Indian licence too. Would there be any advantage/point in also changing that from a marketing perspective? Or does the change have any other difference (like tax)? Or is it merely a patriotic aside (like with Red Bull)?

EvilPhil II

skoop wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 11:09
According to AMuS they'll change the name for the upcoming season to "Force 1"

"Force 1 F1 Team" or "F1 F1 Team"

That certainly isn't my cup of tea. He would do do much better naming it after its location, Silverstone, or returning it back to Jordan F1 Team.

Manoah2u

Now all we need is a sponsor called 'Air' and we'll have : Air Force One Racing.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 21:12
Now all we need is a sponsor called 'Air' and we'll have : Air Force One Racing.
Would be funny if then the car's aero isn't working like supposed to. It can't stick to the road. :lol:

skoop

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 21:12
(H)air Force One Racing is what I suggest :)

drriapg

Hi, I want to share this column article that I liked... sorry if the translation it´s not great I did it with google translate because I don´t have the time to do it myself

'The team that did not want to grow', by Albert Fábrega

The race situation had been very favorable for the interests of Force India and by default of Checo Perez and Esteban Ocon. And much more interesting that could have been if we consider what would happen a posteriori, although that is speculate and if I allow the license, too cheap.

What is a fact and is a real fact, is that Checo was practically out of the race and Ocon was forced to pass through pits to change the punctured tire, in addition to damage in wing and flat bottom. A disaster for the team and rebound for both drivers. The sixth place finish of the French does not hide what was one of the worst weekends of the squadron of Silverstone.

Of all is known that these new cars do not facilitate the work of the pilots when making maneuvers of overtaking. Unlike. Pilots are obliged to take risks and sometimes even go beyond the limit if they do not have the help of DRS. But when such a maneuver is with a teammate, the rules must be other and the lines, impassable.

We will agree that Formula 1 is a sport that promotes individuality and that the first of the rivals with whom you must "fight" is your teammate. A fight that gets rid more outside the car than inside. In dispatches, in team meetings, in the relationship with engineers and owners, pilots always try to win the first of the battles. A war that goes far beyond the poisoned statements and arrows that are thrown through the media and now also social networks. A dispute that usually allows you to take the exit with a position of privilege with respect to your teammate. A fight without cameras or spectators. From doors to inside.

Achieving a preferred status allows some pilots to have technical advantages, priorities and benefits that go well beyond what we know as on-track team orders. There have been orders, there are and there will be. They are part of the game and team strategy to achieve goals that have been marked in a race or a season. Luck must be decided before leaving. It must be very clear who or what will be the beneficiary in the event that the race leads to a situation with cross interests. Whether for contractual issues or for career momentum - say best position in qualy, strategy, track position after first lap or before pitstop - one of the two drivers should have preference over the other. And these team orders or priorities are those that Force India did not execute in Baku. I will not say that they were not taken, but if they were, they were not put into practice.

The unintended "incident" of the Canadian Grand Prix was not serious enough to take the cards to scare. It sounded very nice of "let's let our pilots run" or ambiguous messages about how they should act from Montreal. Bad mistake. And Baku was a disaster. Force India lost something more than an option to obtain a historical result, lost credibility.

And because of management, results and ability to adapt to developments, Force India is close to the big teams. I take the hat from his fantastic work. And I'm not going to cut myself in saying that, for me, it's the most efficient team on the grid. But this slip returns them to the squad of the small teams. And if Force India wants to be among the older brothers and put them in trouble, this must act like them.

I am already finishing the article and I have realized that I have not yet talked about the details of the accident and who caused it. No, do not look for my accusing finger. It was the team's fault. Perez and Ocon proved it.

iotar__

drriapg wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 17:33
Hi, I want to share this column article that I liked... sorry if the translation it´s not great I did it with google translate because I don´t have the time to do it myself

'The team that did not want to grow', by Albert Fábrega
I am already finishing the article and I have realized that I have not yet talked about the details of the accident and who caused it. No, do not look for my accusing finger. It was the team's fault. Perez and Ocon proved it.
What is that suppose to mean? He expects to learn about the incident through talking not watching the damn thing? Haven't he seen it? Real races and races between GPs in media world of fiction #-o . Who caused it? Ocon 100% to zero. As for team's fault I have a shorter version:

- When a team introduces team-orders situation like FI in Canada there is: a profit, mechanism that influences future races and costs. Profit was purely speculative (possibility), mechanism flawed: giving benefit of a doubt to a driver that starts (bar one accident) and finishes every race behind and is unproven (or now proven to be poor) in stressful situations. Driver that ended up in this place through circumstances (Perez stuck behind Ricciardo, split strategies) Media post reaction was even worse: "we should have given earlier", "podium blah blah"

- Baku failure was a cost of introducing and mishandling team orders situation. They learned nothing since they described Baku as a "contact between drivers" as if it was some 50/50 situation not Ocon taking out Perez and a team out of their best result ever.

- They lived in a world of fiction in Canada and keep going that way after Baku. Used to be a no BS team, something has changed, weird.

NAPI10

Hulk exit was a blessing in disguise for FI; credit to them for selecting Ocon –
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/imme ... ia-929014/

By this time –
Hulk scored 34% (20 of 59) of points for FI in 2016.
Ocon has scored 44% (39 of 89) of points for FI that to in his first proper season. Kid got a great future.

Godius

Motorsport.com: Force India to bring biggest update of season to Silverstone
"We've got a suite of things coming for Silverstone, including a new front wing," said Green. "There are other bits as well, mainly the front end.

"It's one of our biggest if not the biggest we have done so far this season."

When asked if it was bigger than the Spain upgrade, Green said: "Yes. It'll be incremental from there and then there will be another big update around Singapore time.

"That is just coming through the wind tunnel now, it's going into full-size now."

Green said the team is finding chunks of performance on the new generation of F1 cars "every week" but admitted Force India will soon have to start thinking about allocating development resources to 2018 machine.

"It's going to start to become a challenge when we have to allocate resource to next year's car," he said. "The two cars, this year's and next, are aligned. From a concept perspective, everything we learn on this car transfers straight to next year's car.

"In that respect, we'll keep on bringing parts to the track. They will become less frequent and less complex parts but we will be bringing parts.

"A lot will be looking over our shoulder and seeing how far away fifth place is and whether we can focus more on next year."

Manjhi

They are bringing new front wing as per Green, as far as I know the front wing always has been the track specific part. We have always seen different wings, I hope they have adopted different approach to the front end to extract something extra from the car.

I am still not seeing new sidepod in the car which is still very bulky. I am expecting some rain at least this time for some exciting race.

OneAlex

So, we haven't heard anything about Force India's name change since the initial flurry.

Meanwhile, Aston Martin have attended meetings on engine regulations, and have now said they're still open to entering F1 as their own team, even after the Red Bull tie up. They've even stated their main competitor in road cars are Ferrari, but don't have their budget, so if they entered F1 they'd need a team close to the front who can operate on a smaller budget...

Is it too much to dream that they resurrect the deal with Force India?

After all it was the change in regs that made them get cold feet and FIndia are still fighting near the front. And this way if they choose to they could buy into the team proper for 2021 which they hinted would be a possibility for becoming a works team. And ever since VJM's legal troubles everyone has been floating the idea of the team being sold at some point.

It seems like too good an opportunity on both ends to pass up, surely.