2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RS200E

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

No.

McLaren have a decent budget already to fund their own R&D. Are Honda contributing directly to McLaren's chassis as a whole? I don't know, but Honda certainly aren't "funding" it as much as you make out.
Phil wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:46
etusch wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 14:26
On paper it’s a good strategy,” team boss Eric Boullier told Britain’s Sky.
“If you can run a (different) engine for the time being until Honda is competitive, then why not? This is one of the various scenarios we may have considered,” he added.
Mercedes’ Toto Wolff said in Baku that the issue of McLaren’s 2018 engine supplier needs to be resolved by around the end of the summer.
Boullier admitted the decision is “a question of weeks” away.

Gptoday's news

In other words, Honda has been financing McLaren's R&D and development with this investment. With this, they have aided and saved McLaren the humiliation of not finding a suitable title sponsor and settling for less [than what they deem it to be worth].

The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:32
i think what this team needs wright now is to Hamilton an Vettel to join team.
A little off topic but I'm worried that Ferrari has taken an interest in Alonso....

They've come and said that they're not renewing RAI and really Vettel isn't kicking RAI butt like Alonso was...

GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 18:45
GoranF1 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:32
i think what this team needs wright now is to Hamilton an Vettel to join team.
A little off topic but I'm worried that Ferrari has taken an interest in Alonso....

They've come and said that they're not renewing RAI and really Vettel isn't kicking RAI butt like Alonso was...
And Briatore said its possible...on the subject.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Manoah2u

That would be the fail of the century, as Ferrari could easily slide down just as fast again and will be out of the podium for the coming 3 seasons.
Imagine Alonso joining once again, and in 2018, Button steps into the Mclaren that ditched the Honda, and got in a Merc engine -where did we see that before,
and then become WDC again, and WCC for Mclaren. Where did that happen again? ah yes, with JB, after the honda engine was replaced with a Mercedes one, lol.

If Alonso leaves Mclaren the ONLY smart move for him would be to go to Mercedes - where he REALLY should have went the MOMENT Rosberg said 'scr*w you guys, im going home'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GoranF1

Manoah2u wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 20:49
That would be the fail of the century, as Ferrari could easily slide down just as fast again and will be out of the podium for the coming 3 seasons.
Imagine Alonso joining once again, and in 2018, Button steps into the Mclaren that ditched the Honda, and got in a Merc engine -where did we see that before,
and then become WDC again, and WCC for Mclaren. Where did that happen again? ah yes, with JB, after the honda engine was replaced with a Mercedes one, lol.

If Alonso leaves Mclaren the ONLY smart move for him would be to go to Mercedes - where he REALLY should have went the MOMENT Rosberg said 'scr*w you guys, im going home'.
I agree...what we see from Ferrari now is James Allison legacy....and its faiding away already.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

loner

use your brains guys
Hasegawa in the start of the season said they are preparing the power unit with advanced technology for 2018 and he is not sure if it will be ready even late in 2017
the forum member sasha said in the start of the season it will be hell in the start of season some good in half season and chance of win in the last few races
and you think Mclaren and Alonso didn't know about Honda plan since they decided to change the layout
and on what earth Alonso will go back to Ferrari when they qualified more than a full second after Mercedes in Baku , and who can give a 36 yo driver 40$m per year
its strange that Mclaren showing frustration now because they already know nothing will be good from Honda before the summer break .. the PU need to be matured
para bellum.

Manoah2u

I stand by that the only 'savior' for Ferrari - technically - is 'the great' Adrian Newey - with a blank cheque.
Let's hope i'm wrong and they'll repack and make this season a winner, and actually come out even stronger next year.
But i'm afraid to say that's not going to happen, and i must say, there could actually become a spat between Vettel and Ferrari when Seb's patience runs out (fast),
which will actually see Seb dumped by Ferrari before the end of the season.

My dream team for Ferrari would be:

Still ran by Arrivabene but let's add Flavio Briatore (say what?!)
Adrian Newey with a blank cheque.
Hamilton as a racing driver
Verstappen as a racing driver

It would be an amazing pairing.

Back on topic though;

I still think Bouillier is misplaced at Mclaren. I don't hold him high, and i can't say i've seen spectacular stuff from him.
I can say different from Zak Brown.
I had nothing with Brown, especially because well, i knew zilch.
But i must say, as far as running the team, i think he's doing that pretty well actually - but that was to be said for Whitmarsh too.
Bouillier has been there for a while now and i fail to see the difference he brings.

Then again, whist he was at Lotus - despite not being a designer genuis or it being remotely his responsibility - the Enstone team DID prove to be rather competitive,
and it must be said, that from the looks of it, The Mclaren itself looks really fast. It's just that dog of an engine.

Interestingly, many things can happen.

I could see Bottas replacing Alonso, and Alonso replacing Bottas @ Mercedes.
I could see Grosjean replacing Alonso, and Alonso going @ Mercedes and Bottas going @Renault
I could see Alonso replacing Palmer, Verstappen going to Mercedes, Bottas going to Mclaren.

Bottas in Mclaren is a very possible outcome, even moreso if they'll run Mercedes' engines. Still, Bottas is doing fine @ Mercedes.

But in any case; there's so much uncertainty around Mclaren it's just agrovating.

Any prospects on a new well-paying Title Sponsor?
Any prospects on a Honda engine that is competitive?
Any prospects on a stable driver future, including Alonso staying or not?
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u

loner wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 21:32
use your brains guys
Hasegawa in the start of the season said they are preparing the power unit with advanced technology for 2018 and he is not sure if it will be ready even late in 2017
the forum member sasha said in the start of the season it will be hell in the start of season some good in half season and chance of win in the last few races
and you think Mclaren and Alonso didn't know about Honda plan since they decided to change the layout
and on what earth Alonso will go back to Ferrari when they qualified more than a full second after Mercedes in Baku , and who can give a 36 yo driver 40$m per year
its strange that Mclaren showing frustration now because they already know nothing will be good from Honda before the summer break .. the PU need to be matured
you must be confused with last year. Oh and the year before that.

loner

Manoah2u wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 21:43
loner wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 21:32
use your brains guys
you must be confused with last year. Oh and the year before that.
no the smart a$$ that came up with the compressor in the V idea :lol:
para bellum.

ZakB

I'm pretty sure nobody is going to pay the amount the Alonso currently makes.

Redragon

ZakB wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 23:03
Santander finish contract with Ferrari this year, so as Spanish sponsor they might come behind Alonso.

So it could happen that Ferrari decides to offer him a place to conservate the sponsor or other team might benefit of that extra money from Santander and pay for his salary.

How happy would be Zack if Santander was signing for Mclaren again

ZakB

Redragon wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 23:08
ZakB wrote:
Santander finish contract with Ferrari this year, so as Spanish sponsor they might come behind Alonso.

So it could happen that Ferrari decides to offer him a place to conservate the sponsor or other team might benefit of that extra money from Santander and pay for his salary.

Ok, didn't know that. I have a feeling that Alonso won't stay because of the remarks he made last weekend. He seemed pretty confident for next year and said that there is more going on than many think, he said that McLaren is a perfect place for Sainz to become world champion (over 5 years) and Alonso said that his renewed positivity is related to his future in the sport. I'm pretty sure he's gone, especially because he said that the engine wasn't a factor in his decision.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... o-positive

McL-H

ZakB wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 23:20
Redragon wrote:
ZakB wrote:

Ok, didn't know that. I have a feeling that Alonso won't stay because of the remarks he made last weekend. He seemed pretty confident for next year and said that there is more going on than many think, he said that McLaren is a perfect place for Sainz to become world champion (over 5 years) and Alonso said that his renewed positivity is related to his future in the sport. I'm pretty sure he's gone, especially because he said that the engine wasn't a factor in his decision.

I think it's pretty clear Fernando is going to join Mercedes. They have signed Bottas for only 1 year so they could evaluate him, and have the option to sign Alonso if Bottas underperformed. Bottas is not able to push Hamilton as much as Rosberg did. He's also making many mistakes (bad start in Spain, dive bomb in Canada, dive bomb in Baku). I am sure Mercedes is happy to sign Alonso. And as much as I'd wish he stayed at McLaren, I think he deserves a title winning car, and the Merc will be one guaranteed.

It will also spice things up at Mercedes a lot. No matter what promises they would make, they would use their dirty tactics to win the title. I can't wait to see that.

ZakB

McL-H wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 23:54
ZakB wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 23:20
Redragon wrote:

I think it's pretty clear Fernando is going to join Mercedes. They have signed Bottas for only 1 year so they could evaluate him, and have the option to sign Alonso if Bottas underperformed. Bottas is not able to push Hamilton as much as Rosberg did. He's also making many mistakes (bad start in Spain, dive bomb in Canada, dive bomb in Baku). I am sure Mercedes is happy to sign Alonso. And as much as I'd wish he stayed at McLaren, I think he deserves a title winning car, and the Merc will be one guaranteed.

It will also spice things up at Mercedes a lot. No matter what promises they would make, they would use their dirty tactics to win the title. I can't wait to see that.
Yeah, they aren't that impressed with Bottas. He's exactly what I thought he would be: Barrichello 2017 edition. It would be funny if McLaren would beat them next year with Honda and Sainz, lol. People shouldn't forget that the development of the 2016 engine was impressive compared to other engines.

Phil

IMO, Fernando in that interview was far too positive for it to be related to a Mercedes race seat. Think about it; one drivers win would be anothers loss. And Bottas didnt seem that down. He knows he still has to perform and find more, but above all, i find it highly doubtful that Mercedes would already make its decision. If Toto and Co are anything to go by, the decision for 2018 will be made later. There is no hurry to sign Alonso anyway, where is he to go?

The only top team who us definitely looking for replacement would be Renault. Other than that, maybe Ferrari for Kimi.

I would assume Alonsos positive mind would be more related to McLaren and perhaps a new engine supplier (or Alonso indeed leaving F1). Just my 2 cents...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter