Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

1. Stay with Honda.
63%
2. Switch to Mercedes for 2018, in 2018.
16%
3. Switch to Mercedes for 2018, in 2017 (asap).
20%

Total votes: 158

Chuckjr

Re: Should McLaren stay with Honda or switch to Mercedes power units?

Interesting. After 10 days of voting it's just under a 50-50 split to leave or stay. I'm surprised actually that more wish to stay with Honda than leave. Thanks to all who have participated.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Logie
Logie

Go to Merc, no reason to stay at Honda now as im assuming there lossing alot of money, if they can get that back then they dont need Honda. Theres also drivers that for sure wont be as good as Alonso, but they wont have to pay as much. Get 2 solid drivers, move up the rankings get the prize money back :)

RS200E

marvin78 wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 13:48
There is nothing wrong with me. I'm a neutral fan of F1. I Like the races, I like to see the championship developing over the year. I like to see the development of the teams over the year/years and I like the strategies, the atmosphere. Whether the hole point of F1 is to win is very subjective. Ask Sauber about that. For me F1 is a lot more than winning. And as I am not a fan of anyone, maybe I watch from another perspektive. I don't know what's wrong about that!?

I can feel bad about a family member who suffers from anything but I don't understand why anyone feels bad for someone he knows from TV. But I never would say, that something is wrong with someone who does.
+1

But experiments have shown that we share the same chemical reactions to the person/team we support when they win or lose.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Chuckjr wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 03:39
Interesting. After 10 days of voting it's just under a 50-50 split to leave or stay. I'm surprised actually that more wish to stay with Honda than leave. Thanks to all who have participated.
McLaren is not going to win the championship with Mercedes/Ferrari/Renault engines... FI, Williams and RBR are proving that right now.
Honda changed their engine concept this year and they seem to making a rapid progress to be actually reliable... performance will come, knowing Honda.

Phil

Winning? They should aim for solid 4th first. The dream of "winning" hasn't brought them closer to achieving that, but indeed farther away then ever...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Turbo

Cosworth

RS200E

Cosworth-Ricardo
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Porsche TAG :D
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SilverArrow
SilverArrow

Movistar McLaren-AMG

Stormy

If Cosworth decides to come back with the upcoming 2021 engine regulations, i doubt McLaren can reach an exclusive partnership with them. If someone teams up with Cosworth as a works team, it will be RB. It's only natural, they've worked on the Valkyrie together and a bunch of other projects.

FrukostScones

after making the relationship to Honda 100% toxic, McLaren suddenly has no reason to switch the PU maker now. Please let them take the Renault. Muppets.
they won't of course.
McLaren-Honda 2018 pretty much confirmed (in my book).
Only question is if ALO leaves the ship, just to leave a WDC contener 2018 car behind for a 2018 Renault...
Guess he is leaving then...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Chuckjr

I read in the Honda engine thread the theory that Alonso is likely attempting to kick Honda out because there simply is nowhere for him to go. All that talent squandered yet another year.

I'm certainly not convinced Honda has their arms around the project yet, and next year will likely be more of same considering what happened today in the race. I'm still not at all convinced. Yea they are making some progress but it's not enough. Merc and Ferrari are only getting faster. Alonso seems to know things are heading for same next year, and there's not a damn thing he can do about it. Smh.
Watching F1 since 1986.

notsofast
notsofast

At this point, Force India would probably be happy to get rid of Perez and make room for Alonso (with Perez then going to Williams). Alonso could then realistically not expect much more than 7th. But if McLaren were to switch to Renault, Alonso ought to be able to compete on at least the same level as Red Bull. The question is, how soon would the switch need to be confirmed in order to give McLaren enough time to set up their car for 2018?

Andres125sx

Probably you missed it, but Alonso has steted repreatedly he´ll only stay in F1 if he can fight for titles, so there´s only three options: 1- Honda improves and Alonso stay with McHonda. 2- Honda does not improve and Alonso retires from F1. 3- Hamilton retires and Alonso goes to Mercedes.

Any other option simply does not exist. Maybe McLaren will think on a different manufacturer, but that´s irrelevant for Alonso, he´s 36 and McHonda was his last long term project

FrukostScones

ALO wants McLaren to divorce Honda.

McLaren wants 200 Mio $ divorce compensation from Honda. :lol:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 86247.html

The F1 gossip is far more entertaining than the races. 8)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.