Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Alonso might cost 30 mil, but then he brings atleast double that through Santander next year, surely.
Mclaren would offcours relish to have that sponsor aboard, but a good question is; would Santander have 'as much' interest to ditch Ferrari to go to non-performing Mclaren at this point?

It would be interesting for both Santander as well as Mercedes AND Alonso to go to Mercedes AMG team - not important whether Petronas stays or not, though offcourse Mercedes would benefit from a sponsor like Santandar IF Petronas parts ways with F1 alltogether. I don't think so to be honest, as Petronas is in F1 way longer than there is the Malaysian GP, just think about Sauber for example, and Ferrari engines badged 'Petronas'.

Mercedes is interesting for Santander as they bring great exposure, though offcourse right now Ferrari does too.

IF Mclaren gets their engine problems sorted out, then it could become really interesting for Santandar to return to Mclaren and become title sponsor again; Santander Honda Mclaren F1 Team, but then i must also say i recall that there was a recent passing of some key figure of Santander, which could actually also change things when the contract ends with Ferrari, who knows.

Bottas got the seat at Mercedes because he brought a real lot of money through Wihuri. So to replace Bottas, there should be some other big sponsor to fix that gap.
Stroll? lol imagine that.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GPR-A duplicate2

Wow this could be difficult to imagine, but who knows !!!
ALONSO TO FERRARI? HYPE OR A POSSIBILITY?
Speaking during an interview with Italian broadcaster RAI, Briatore said, “Alonso to Ferrari? In life you should not rule anything out.”

“When he was there he got on well with everyone, he only had problems only with [Marco] Mattiacci. In Formula 1 today there are only two competitive teams, two teams capable of winning, Ferrari and Mercedes.”
Meanwhile, sources close to Ferrari are adamant that the team are not considering Alonso, suggesting that Briatore’s motives are to stir the pot and create demand for the driver he guides. D-Day for a new deal is fast approaching thus stirring the pot, while recruiting Ecclestone to make similar noises.

The same sources suggest that Ferrari have a verbal agreement with Daniel Ricciardo to replace Vettel should the German decide to quit the team.

Phil

I still think Vettel is very happy at Ferrari. He's a "team-leader" there and pretty much behaves like one. I feel he has won enough to simply "want a car that can win". I think with 4 titles, winning with a team such as Ferrari is worth more. And he's still very young - I can't imagine him jeopardizing such a great environment to go to Mercedes who's (long term) future is less than a sure thing. And I can't for the life of me imagine some pre-agreement. Perhaps that was something that may have been on the table last year when Ferrari proved to be less than able to compete towards the end of the year, but with Ferrari's found strength this year?

And Alonso back to Ferrari? I could see that more likely than Mercedes right now. For sure, Alonso would probably love to pair Vettel in a team. But I am honestly doubtful if Ferrari, who is for sure very happy with Vettel, would jeopardize that relationship by signing Alonso. Unless there is something in the data that would suggest that Alonso is quite a bit better than Vettel (using Kimi as the constant who has remained there and paired both drivers...). But given how good Vettel has been this year overall, I would think that is quite unlikely and comparing different drivers across different cars even with a constant like Kimi wouldn't be very accurate IMO.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

Phil wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 16:49
I would think that is quite unlikely and comparing different drivers across different cars even with a constant like Kimi wouldn't be very accurate IMO.
So why not let's compare them for real! Ferrari must be thinking. :D

Big Mangalhit

GPR-A wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 17:06
Phil wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 16:49
I would think that is quite unlikely and comparing different drivers across different cars even with a constant like Kimi wouldn't be very accurate IMO.
So why not let's compare them for real! Ferrari must be thinking. :D
Haha can you imagine Mercedes HAM/MAX Ferrari VET/ALO both cars being equally fast. 4 drivers with great fanbase with each their own characteristics. That could be the most epic season ever. I would imagine a ton of controversy and race threads blocked. one can wish.

Redragon

There were rumours at the end of last year that Vettl had a pre-contract with Mercedes that it make sense because they lost their German driver and a new one would be good for them as German team.

Also last chirstmas Toto was really intersted on Alonso so what has change since? Did made a pre contract on Chistmas to see how Honda was evolving this year and if not At the end of the year make the move.

This option would not be too crazy as both parts would be in peace they haven't force the move and it was naturally because the resylults didn't arrive from Mclaren Honda.

And there are rumours of Riccardo same thing with Ferrari, what if Riccardo and Alo finish on Ferrari and Vettel and Ham in Mercedes. Or viceversa Ham and Alo in Merc and Vettel and Ricardo on Ferrari.

Bottas moves to Mclaren as first driver

Also something to highlight are the words of Ham this last weekend of the possibility of retiring at the end of the year as he doesn't plan ahead. What if those comments are because he already knows Bottas is not gonna continue next year, so the dilemma for him is to continue with either Alo or Vettel on his side.

Intersting summer ahead, whatever is the outcome the new owners of F1 might be really exciting

Phil

Which comments by Ham about retiring? I havent seem anything. It would be quite a surprise, as he is contracted till end of 2018.

Maybe he was unhappy at the end of 2016 due to losing the WDC like that and also with the team interference last race, but given how things are shaping up this year so far with the fight against Ferrari, i really believe he is much more committed and 'happy'. The team is reportedly a lot more harmonic too and it seems he gets on quite well with Bottas too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Redragon

Phil wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 22:21
Which comments by Ham about retiring? I havent seem anything. It would be quite a surprise, as he is contracted till end of 2018.

Maybe he was unhappy at the end of 2016 due to losing the WDC like that and also with the team interference last race, but given how things are shaping up this year so far with the fight against Ferrari, i really believe he is much more committed and 'happy'. The team is reportedly a lot more harmonic too and it seems he gets on quite well with Bottas too.
He just comment on the possibility but it is curious that he did those comments this last weekend when so many meetings behind doors were happening

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/ ... ompetition

makecry

Phil wrote:

He gets on well with Bottas because Bottas is not able to challenge him. If Bottas beats him in 3 or 4 races in quick succession, he won't get on well with him and it would be more or less like it was with Nico, not as bad but close I guess.

Phil

Sorry, that Sky article is a lot of blabla. Hamilton is not retiring. And he is happier than ever, right now.
#Team44 supporter

Redragon

Phil wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 23:17
Sorry, that Sky article is a lot of blabla. Hamilton is not retiring. And he is happier than ever, right now.
Rosberg looked happy too. And then the surprise.
I am not saying is a fact but it is curious when he does the remarks, he does on a weekend where some pre deals might have being reached. And moght know by now that Bottas might not continue next year.

Jolle

Redragon wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 23:20
Phil wrote:
I am not saying is a fact but it is curious when he does the remarks, he does on a weekend where some pre deals might have being reached. And moght know by now that Bottas might not continue next year.
Rosberg as a person and the way he approach this whole F1 thing was 180 degrees different then Hamilton, comparing the two makes no sense. Hamilton loves the competition, being the star, the work, the responsibility of being a F1 driver. This is more a message to Mercedes: I’ve been with you for 20 years, been loyal, you’ve given me a great car, good pay and now I have a teammate who I can work with. Please keep it that way because I could also quit....

Vasconia

makecry wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 22:43
Phil wrote:

He gets on well with Bottas because Bottas is not able to challenge him. If Bottas beats him in 3 or 4 races in quick succession, he won't get on well with him and it would be more or less like it was with Nico, not as bad but close I guess.
+1. Its not a coincidence that almost all top drivers are happy with team-mates to which they can beat regularly.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 23:38
Redragon wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 23:20
Phil wrote:
Rosberg as a person and the way he approach this whole F1 thing was 180 degrees different then Hamilton, comparing the two makes no sense. Hamilton loves the competition, being the star, the work, the responsibility of being a F1 driver. This is more a message to Mercedes: I’ve been with you for 20 years, been loyal, you’ve given me a great car, good pay and now I have a teammate who I can work with. Please keep it that way because I could also quit....
This. I don't see Mercedes changing their line-up for next season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Phil

makecry wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 22:43
That's looking at it very simplistic. Button was quite competitive too at McLaren and yet we didn't see the kind of estranged relationship we saw with Rosberg. Various reports and interviews by Toto recently indicate the beginning of this very bad climate happened around the Monaco 2014 grand prix and just increased over various other incidents that took place since. Worse even, the fact that both Mercedes drivers were sole contenders to the WDC meant that the team was effectively split and resulted in a destructive relationship between the two camps.

It's not the animosity of facing a driver who is potentially better. What really breaks a relationship is when the battle continues off track in psychological warfare.

Yes, the fact that he seems to beat Bottas more often than not probably also play a minor role too, I'm sure, but nothing I have seen from Lewis would suggest to me that he is afraid of competition. He feeds on it. The argument here was that Hamilton could walk away from F1 at the end of the year. My point is that there's a very slim chance of that happening and that Sky article is just taking some random quotes and attributing more significance to them then there really is.

Hamilton was quite clearly not happy last year with all what was going around at the team. There are reports that confirm this. This year is very different. They are back on track, have a harmonic working relationship and they are battling Ferrari as a team, just as Ferrari is battling Mercedes as a team. I'd say this is shaping up to be probably one of the most enjoyable seasons for Hamilton so far. It's also the first time in a long time he probably feels akin to being a leader, something Vettel can relate to as well.
#Team44 supporter