2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tom145145

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

santos wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 13:47
F1NAC wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 13:16
Can we stop with this junior formulas... C'mon this kids wont suddenly ram into each other...
Yeah i found interesting when Hamilton said that this would be a bad example to the young guys... and i remembered about him making a vídeo or taking pictures, while riding a motorcycle...
If the FIA give another penalty to Vettel, that will be because of the presure that it is being made by the media. That's not a good sign for the president of FIA.
I think both are completely unacceptable, but one being part for an FIA event they can apply a penalty and Hamilton did issue an apology. Vettel is still admitting nothing, I think this is what is pushing the FIA to consider further action.

F1NAC

Tom145145 wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 13:55
santos wrote:
F1NAC wrote:
Can we stop with this junior formulas... C'mon this kids wont suddenly ram into each other...
Yeah i found interesting when Hamilton said that this would be a bad example to the young guys... and i remembered about him making a vídeo or taking pictures, while riding a motorcycle...
If the FIA give another penalty to Vettel, that will be because of the presure that it is being made by the media. That's not a good sign for the president of FIA.
I think both are completely unacceptable, but one being part for an FIA event they can apply a penalty and Hamilton did issue an apology. Vettel is still admitting nothing, I think this is what is pushing the FIA to consider further action.
So what? FIA should DQ or give race ban to Vettel beacuse he didn't admit or say sorry? for real? If they wanted to give him DQ they should have done it on a race day during race. It would be pretty stupid to do this now.

Did FIA do anything when Hamilton accused stewards that maybe they're penalising him because he's black? Did anyone then mention young kids?

IF headrest wasn't loose we wouldn't talk about any further DQ. That is Merc's fault that Hamilton finished behind Vettel

ironrose

I think its time to close the incident and move on ... all drivers are human beings and not super humans and there will be cases where one cant control their emotions.. and we all did mistakes .. what we learn from them is important .. I am sure vettel would have seen replays later and would be regretting what he did

Tom145145

F1NAC wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 14:04
Tom145145 wrote:
santos wrote:

So what? FIA should DQ or give race ban to Vettel beacuse he didn't admit or say sorry? for real? If they wanted to give him DQ they should have done it on a race day during race. It would be pretty stupid to do this now.

Did FIA do anything when Hamilton accused stewards that maybe they're penalising him because he's black? Did anyone then mention young kids?

IF headrest wasn't loose we wouldn't talk about any further DQ. That is Merc's fault that Hamilton finished behind Vettel
I didn't say they should give a further penalty...I was thinking of reasoning for the FIA looking at this further. I personally think the penalty was rushed in race and should have been looked at after when all the facts where available.

GrizzleBoy

F1NAC wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 14:04
Tom145145 wrote:
santos wrote:

Do you not understand the difference between Hamilton's stupid joke, that was quite obviously a joke, and a driver ramming another driver in a fit of rage and universally refusing to acknowledge it ever even happened?

Penalties are meant to both punish and also be a deterrent. If a driver after being punished for something like this wont even show that he understands what he did was wrong then it wouldn't be crazy for them consider harsher penalties.

WaikeCU

F1NAC wrote:
One Michael Schumacher used to brake test Mika Hakkinen in F3, causing the latter to DNF.

Who knew that very Michael would become 7 times World Champion? :wink:

Manoah2u

I find it interesting FIA is concidering doing a tribunal thing, but in all honesty, i think it's rather more going to be a show than really going to have results.
It's mostly about media and 'pleasing' the fans, really.
there's probably just gonna be a tribunal and issue him a warning or a reprimand, not more.
Ferrari wil play their political hand, Vettel will play the innocense card, especially since he can claim he did not delibaretly drove into lewis, but it was a result of not having his hands on the wheel, for which he'll say in the end was stupid and in the heat of the moment, but he'll say he served that penalty with dangerous driving, and claim double penalizing is not professional,
and that'll be it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ClarkBT11

F1i.com article translated to English.
Sebastian Vettel could be summoned to appear before the FIA ​​International Tribunal for the kick-off he gave to his direct rival in the title race, Lewis Hamilton, last Sunday during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

According to Auto Motor und Sport magazine , which is usually very well informed, FIA President Jean Todt believes that the sanctions imposed by the Azerbaijani Grand Prix Sports Commissioners at Vettel were not severe enough.

The four stewards who officiated in Baku had considered disqualifying the Ferrari driver from the event . However, for fear of interfering in the title race, they preferred to punish him for a ten-second stop and go.

Hamilton: Vettel's shot was voluntary
Todt, however, would consider appealing to the FIA ​​International Tribunal on the grounds that Vettel, by hitting Hamilton, would have detracted from the image of Formula 1 and FIA (Article 12.1.1 of the International Sporting Code of The FIA).

Vettel had almost been sent to the FIA ​​International Court last year for insulting the Formula 1 race director, Charlie Whiting, in an excess of anger during the Mexican Grand Prix. At the time, a written apology on his part convinced Todt not to take disciplinary action against the four-time world champion.

Should the case be brought before the FIA ​​International Tribunal, Vettel could be awarded a financial and / or sport sanction (suspension of one or more races or even a pure disqualification of the 2017 Formula World Championship 1).

TAG

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 14:30
I find it interesting FIA is concidering doing a tribunal thing, but in all honesty, i think it's rather more going to be a show than really going to have results.
It's mostly about media and 'pleasing' the fans, really.
there's probably just gonna be a tribunal and issue him a warning or a reprimand, not more.
Ferrari wil play their political hand, Vettel will play the innocense card, especially since he can claim he did not delibaretly drove into lewis, but it was a result of not having his hands on the wheel, for which he'll say in the end was stupid and in the heat of the moment, but he'll say he served that penalty with dangerous driving, and claim double penalizing is not professional,
and that'll be it.
Well, that may very well be but current and future potential sponsors read...
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ClarkBT11

AMUS English translation
The Mercedes driver sees the SafetyCar 150 meters ahead of him and goes off the gas to keep distance to Bernd Mayländer's Mercedes AMG GTS. Vettel accelerates and lands in the rear of the Mercedes of his World Cup rival.
For Vettel it looks like a brake test. "The leader dictates the speed . We came out of the corner and then he braked so hard that I could not stop in time. He has braked, where one actually accelerates. "Then the emotions hit high waves. The Ferrari driver pulls to the left of Hamilton , makes unfriendly hand signals and directs his Ferrari so violently into the Mercedes that the red car with the number 5 with the front wheels lifts. Hamilton complains: "It was not fair play." Vettel saw nothing forbidden in his action.

Hamilton always within 3 km / h

The race management immediately conduct an investigation into the case. 32 minutes later, Paul Gutjahr, Enzo Spano, Anar Shukurov, and Danny Sullivan, the rider of the rally, take their verdict:Vettel must go to a 10-second penalty stop to the pits. This is the second highest penalty before a disqualification.
In the world of motorsports an outcry of indignation goes through the net. "There has been criticism around the world. An ex-driver wrote to me that the punishment was much too mild, "one of the sports commissioners told us. Vettel can not understand the severity of the sentence: "I did not do anything forbidden. Ten seconds were too much. "
FIA race director Charlie Whiting and the sport commissaries have not made the task easy. Data and radio spotting had to be looked at, TV pictures from all angles were studied. AutoMotor and sport learned that Hamilton had the same speed during all three re-starts on the sloping straight between bends 15 and 16 at the accident site within 3 km / h . He always went there from the gas, never accelerated, but also never braked. "The warming of the brakes Lewis has always done before turn 15," we hear from FIA circles.
Behind the SafetyCar is that the leader determines the pace. However, he can not brake the car abruptly and accelerate again. Since Hamilton did everything right, he was out of the tail. Vettel did not want to leave the second re-start as much as the first, and accelerated out of turn 15 to stay at Hamilton.

Is Todt calling the international sports court?

The sports commissaries also listened to the radio messages and registered, the Vettel on the radio angrily exclaimed: "This was a brake test, a brake test." This probably saved the World Cup leader from a higher penalty. The referees realized that the reaction of Vettel was based on a false assumption. A Mercedes man says: "In England they have just banned a driver in a junior form for a year because he intentionally caused an accident. 10 seconds Stop and Go is also available when you drive into the pits when the pit lane is closed. "
Vettel got the 10-second stop-and-go penalty for two reasons. Firstly, there is no dedicated rule that assigns a deliberately caused collision to a particular penalty. So it was a matter of discretion. Secondly, one was afraid to intervene with a draconian penalty too much into the World Cup. A sports commissary tells us: "It was a narrow decision: Vettel is past a black flag." Thus a disqualification.
Doesn't mention Hamilton's dangerous driving (speed) around turn 15. Oh yeah that's right it wasn't otherwise Hamilton would of got a penalty for causing a collision.

Vasconia

It would be pathetic if due to the presusre coming from (essentialy) the UK Todt decides to punish Vettel with one race ban. If he is banned for one race, should not be the first penaly be invalidated?. I don´t see fair to receive a double penaly for the same move.

GPR-A duplicate2

I liked this title of the article on Motorsport.com
Inside Line F1 Podcast: A Lose Head & A Loose Headrest :lol: :lol: :lol:

dans79

ClarkBT11 wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 14:42
According to Auto Motor und Sport magazine , which is usually very well informed, FIA President Jean Todt believes that the sanctions imposed by the Azerbaijani Grand Prix Sports Commissioners at Vettel were not severe enough.

The four stewards who officiated in Baku had considered disqualifying the Ferrari driver from the event . However, for fear of interfering in the title race, they preferred to punish him for a ten-second stop and go.

Hamilton: Vettel's shot was voluntary
Todt, however, would consider appealing to the FIA ​​International Tribunal on the grounds that Vettel, by hitting Hamilton, would have detracted from the image of Formula 1 and FIA (Article 12.1.1 of the International Sporting Code of The FIA).
This is the part that could get sticky for Vettel. If it's true that the stewards decided not to disqualify Vettel because it would effect the championchip, then Todt has a lot of room the maneuver. The tribunal can do just about anything, they could give him a race ban, they could fine him, they could even disqualify him from the WDC.

I personally don't think any of those options will be considered though. I think Vettel will be compelled/forced to make a formal and public apology to Lewis, and the the F1 world. Based on his post race comments and unwillingness to even admit that the second contact took place, Vettel might find an apology an even harder pill to swallow than a ban.
197 104 103 7

ClarkBT11

Vasconia wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 16:06
It would be pathetic if due to the presusre coming from (essentialy) the UK Todt decides to punish Vettel with one race ban. If he is banned for one race, should not be the first penaly be invalidated?. I don´t see fair to receive a double penaly for the same move.
Vettlel should'nt receive a race ban, possibly DSQ from Baku but something needs to be done so it doesn't happen in the future for sure. It's not about a double penalty but the right one that's​ fair to all drivers in every Motorsport category. To not give a penalty based on affecting the championship which means effectively the show it's not a sport, it's more like a soap opera.

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it around in glitter.
Last edited by ClarkBT11 on 28 Jun 2017, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

Vasconia wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 16:06
It would be pathetic if due to the presusre coming from (essentialy) the UK Todt decides to punish Vettel with one race ban.
It's not just coming from the UK (essentially or otherwise), its coming from all over the planet.
197 104 103 7