Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Manoah2u

Re: Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

why do they test this on actual race weekends and not just pay some team for driving in an old-spec (like a E20) and mount it and do various tests, options, etc. ?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jef Patat

I've been wondering this as well. It draws a lot of attention to the team? PR? Opinion shaping?

RedNEO

It's not right for F1. Creates more problems than it solves. It should join the scrap heap next to the halo.

outsid3r

bauc wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 11:38
Jef Patat wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 11:32
I keep wondering how visibility will be in wet conditions.
Have in mind that the wake generated from the aero will push all water to the sides of the screen, but yes it will be challenging that is for sure.
but what is going to push water out of the way on the helmet visor? I think they should start with some good wet tests on this implementation more than anything before moving on to other aspects. I actually believe people could live with it, but from the safety aspect I think its a step backwards...

marvin78

I think it's all just for show. They test these things, they know they don't work => "We have looked at every aspect but we don't have the right solution, we did everything we could [...]". And that's it.

santos

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 13:00
why do they test this on actual race weekends and not just pay some team for driving in an old-spec (like a E20) and mount it and do various tests, options, etc. ?
I belive that they also want to show the solution to the fans, to have some feedback.
Vettel reported that he had blurry view... maybe it's the distortion that is caused by the concave form.

Shrieker

TAG wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 22:34
Shrieker wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 22:08
TAG wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 18:45
Looks a lot less "sexy" in the real life implementation.
Why is it cracked ?
It's not cracked, just some type of protective film for shipping.
I was pulling your leg :mrgreen:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

n_anirudh

There is a significant amount of distortion for objects closer to the aeroscreen. Look at the mechanic's left arm.
Would this be a problem during overtaking? or the first corner? or will drivers get used to ?

Maybe some drivers wear prescription glasses/contacts. could this make things worse for them?

Shrieker

Jef Patat wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 10:26
The crack magic revealed...
https://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... shield.jpg
Wow.. That has to be a great invention I never knew about. So how does this nylon work to fix the cracks and re-fuse the glass ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

I'd seriously be ok with that. Aesthetically pleasing.
-Atatürk

RedNEO

Shrieker wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 13:47
I'd seriously be ok with that. Aesthetically pleasing.
Generally you don't look at f1 cars from the side. Check some frontal views

jerreclaus

Hi guys, here's a quicky. Same model, Red Bull livery. Couldn't resist.

Any bright ideas to get this to the big chiefs? Not sure if it will do anything though.

TAG

Here's the deal, everything that isn't integrated into the car as part of the chassis design for that car is going to look like an afterthought. The T bars look like an afterthought, the camara mounts look like and afterthought, these aren't safety devices but if you think of the screens in a similar way, it will show that whatever they come up with is going to look horrible.

So what's the solution? They homologate the entire pice surrounding the driver and make that a standard portion of the chasiss and have the manufacturers build cars from there with that section that encompasses the driver's bubble frozen in the same way that the center section of the front wing is frozen for development. It's going to be unfair to judge these one off solutions we've been looking at for two years now, they're all going to look horrible. Despite this one looking as least not that horrible, and despite all of the functionality questions, it's always going to look like an afterthought.

A better solution IMO is to create a certain crashworthyness testing that teams have to pass (the way the do for noses) and have the teams build a solution around that as part of an integral design from the beginning. It would be more costly, but what isn't in F1?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jef Patat

RedNEO wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 13:52
Generally you don't look at f1 cars from the side. Check some frontal views
It's a beauty isn't it... #-o

Manoah2u

jerreclaus wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 14:33
Hi guys, here's a quicky. Same model, Red Bull livery. Couldn't resist.

Any bright ideas to get this to the big chiefs? Not sure if it will do anything though.

https://postimg.org/image/bpkxlfxfx/
fantastic work man, that's just absolutely cool af. would love to se some more angles.
will see if i can find some info to get this to the right places.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"