2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AshSIreland

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 08:46
godlameroso wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 00:49
Silverstone has long full throttle areas. From the start/finish line to turn 3, from turn 4 to turn 6, then from 7 all the way to 16 is all high speed very little breaking and lots of full throttle. That's where Mercedes wins out.

Sepang international circuit in contrast is more stop and go, the two DRS straights aren't very long, and both lead to very slow turns. The high speed turns are long and prevent a top speed advantage from exaggerating itself.

Remember that Ferrari, and Red Bull have won there the last 2 years, granted Hamilton had the race won last year until his engine gave out, and Ferrari lucked into a safety car, but still Rosberg had nothing, and Mercedes didn't have enough pace to catch Vettel in 2015. This year Ferrari is much closer than they've ever been and have a pure downforce advantage, therefore I think they have a shot there.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
So what you're telling me is that it has a few fast corner sections (T5-T8 and T10-T13) that are something like Silverstone, then you have 2 straights with DRS that have big braking points at the end of them and 1 of thos straights has a hairpin leading on to it. It also has a lot of stop start corners with big traction zones.

If I didnt know better I'd say you were describing Montreal to me. So this Sepang circuit is a perfect combination of Silverstone and Montreal, so now I am really failing to see how Ferrari could be regarded as a favourite here.

How did Silverstone and Montreal go for Vettel vs Hamilton this season.

Anyway, its your opinion so I respect that. Lets wait until Sepang so see how it all unfolds.
Funny you should say that. My intuition was that Sepang was more windy and Montreal was more flat out, but a quick check here has Montreal and Sepang right next to each other with very similar average speeds. I admit things have changed since 2011, but it should be a good indication.

ringo

Will Ferrari have frankenstein engine setup for Monza?
I think they can have an advantage over mercedes here if they focus heavily on throwing caution to the wind here reliability wise.
For Sure!!

f1316

ringo wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 18:35
Will Ferrari have frankenstein engine setup for Monza?
I think they can have an advantage over mercedes here if they focus heavily on throwing caution to the wind here reliability wise.
Monza's interesting because I'm convinced that Mercedes still have a significant power advantage in top mode and they can use that mode in the race more than they used to.

So conventional wisdom would be that Mercedes have the advantage (although I do note Vettel made a fairly cryptic comment about getting some more power in Hungary - one wonders if they found a way round the oil trick).

But Monza's also different since we haven't yet seen the cars' wing levels completely trimmed out - Baku, for example, requires a good amount of df for the first two sectors and Montreal saw teams using 'spoon' wings to retain some df. So we haven't seen how the cars run with minimum wing and it's conceivable that a car which generates a lot of efficienct df (e.g. Through the diffuser) could go with more of a tea tray rear wing and claw back to speed - like RB in 2011.

X factor, of course, is what the teams will bring to the circuit; both will probably have a PU upgrade but it could well be decided by whose is better.

FW17

I think they will take a penalty in Spa to take on the new TC which will be working with their 4th engine design.

(If they plan to take the 4th engine design out for Monza, which will be expected)

Right now Vettel is running 3rd engine design with 2nd TC design.

Too bad they cannot pool engines lake they used to last year.

Chene_Mostert

FW17 wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 11:19
I think they will take a penalty in Spa to take on the new TC which will be working with their 4th engine design.

(If they plan to take the 4th engine design out for Monza, which will be expected)

Right now Vettel is running 3rd engine design with 2nd TC design.

Too bad they cannot pool engines lake they used to last year.
Or maybe they wont, maybe engine upgrades are in different areas, not requiring design change to the Turbo.
We need to move away from the idea that the PU components work in "sets", like the name suggests, its PU components.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

godlameroso

There's a lot you can change without requiring new penalizing components.
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

Kimi set for new contract at Ferrari

http://readmotorsport.com/2017/07/31/ra ... extension/
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

munudeges

No big surprise they'll retain the same drivers. Why would they change?

Sevach

At this point i think Ferrari waits with Kimi a little longer and then goes straight to Leclerc instead of grabbing Perez or Grosjean.

makecry

munudeges wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 23:42
Because there are faster drivers out there. I honestly believe Ferrari's driver line up is least impressive of the big teams. The car is much better than the results it has given and if only there was Lewis Or Fernando or Daniel in that car instead of Seb.

f1316

Sevach wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 23:54
At this point i think Ferrari waits with Kimi a little longer and then goes straight to Leclerc instead of grabbing Perez or Grosjean.
Marchionne's comments about Sauber becoming their junior team are very interesting in this regard:

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/07/ ... nior-team/

It implies they expect to run both Giovannazzi and Leclerc in that team next year - likely the winner gets the Ferrari seat.

Still, you imagine they must have given Sauber a very good deal to basically have the run of the team in terms of drivers (not to mention the more important political allegiance the article discusses).

Vasconia

makecry wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 00:15
munudeges wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 23:42
Because there are faster drivers out there. I honestly believe Ferrari's driver line up is least impressive of the big teams. The car is much better than the results it has given and if only there was Lewis Or Fernando or Daniel in that car instead of Seb.
If Kimi can deliver as he has done in Hungary it would be good to keep him. But he needs to be as fast as he has been this weekend. The problem is that this "perfect working window" is so narrow that if something is not perfect for him he simply loses it.

Hail22

A day with Ferrari at the 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZrdreTYaA
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

F1NAC

Kimi stays with Scuderia in 2018.

outsid3r

F1NAC wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 12:51
Kimi stays with Scuderia in 2018.
Do you think SEB is really considering a move to Merc. given that Kimi was confirmed first?