Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Manoah2u wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 10:16
Kimi is not the same kimi as in 2007. He's shown brilliance and speed, no discussion there.
Him slicing through eau rouge in spa in almost superhuman abilities still stands grafted in my mind.

I think Ferrari are unable or unwilling to give Kimi the car he wants. He hates understeer and we often hear him complaining of understeer on the radio etc. Perhaps the Ferrari is front limited in an attempt to protect the rear tyres (perhaps all current cars are like this to a degree). If that's the case, then Kimi will continue to struggle.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1universe
f1universe

Jolle wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 16:34

Vettel and Alonso are not drivers who like stiff competition within their team aka a number one status
I think Alonso will be OK driving with Vettel or Hamilton at this point, he won't reject a winning car because the other driver is as good as him, he will go for it I think.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 10:43
Manoah2u wrote:
Kimi is not the same kimi as in 2007. He's shown brilliance and speed, no discussion there.
Him slicing through eau rouge in spa in almost superhuman abilities still stands grafted in my mind.

I think Ferrari are unable or unwilling to give Kimi the car he wants. He hates understeer and we often hear him complaining of understeer on the radio etc. Perhaps the Ferrari is front limited in an attempt to protect the rear tyres (perhaps all current cars are like this to a degree). If that's the case, then Kimi will continue to struggle.
true, he's complaining a lot about that. though a lot of times i really can't make out anything from what he's babbling through the radio, it is 9/10 times exactly that, AND if it's not oversteer, it's the tires.
but even though i think Ferrari should do something to give him a car more to his liking,
on the other side the question also is; the rest of the field has the same tires and have to deal with the same issues.
why can't kimi cope?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Schuttelberg

Manoah2u wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 20:48
Just_a_fan wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

true, he's complaining a lot about that. though a lot of times i really can't make out anything from what he's babbling through the radio, it is 9/10 times exactly that, AND if it's not oversteer, it's the tires.
but even though i think Ferrari should do something to give him a car more to his liking,
on the other side the question also is; the rest of the field has the same tires and have to deal with the same issues.
why can't kimi cope?
To be very honest, this is not something that's new with Kimi Raikkonen. He's always been a driver that's had to get a car to work for him rather than adapt to what's given to him. Mind you, we are talking small details but when the competition is so fierce it tends to get magnified.

Also, if I am to put it bluntly, the Formula 1 fraternity and fans have been more attracted to his persona than his sheer capability. He, in my opinion is one of those that is quite stunning when all the stars align but that doesn't happen very often for any sportsman. It did for Kimi between 2005-08 (first half) and then in his Lotus stint.

Also, in my humble opinion he is past his second best days as well and it's about time Ferrari replace him with someone, may be anyone. I find it amusing when people say Perez/Grosjean won't be an upgrade on him. It might be true, but did any of us ever think Bottas would keep Hamilton so honest in a Merc? Ferrari have tried keeping him, they might as well try someone else now. I find all this warming the seat for Leclerc/Giovinazzi talk juvenile. Also, Verstappen and Ricciardo might stick with RBR beyond 2019 as well.. It will all depend on the car.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

adrianjordan

Schuttelberg wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 22:20
Manoah2u wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 20:48
Just_a_fan wrote:

why can't kimi cope?
To be very honest, this is not something that's new with Kimi Raikkonen. He's always been a driver that's had to get a car to work for him rather than adapt to what's given to him. Mind you, we are talking small details but when the competition is so fierce it tends to get magnified.

Also, if I am to put it bluntly, the Formula 1 fraternity and fans have been more attracted to his persona than his sheer capability. He, in my opinion is one of those that is quite stunning when all the stars align but that doesn't happen very often for any sportsman. It did for Kimi between 2005-08 (first half) and then in his Lotus stint.

Also, in my humble opinion he is past his second best days as well and it's about time Ferrari replace him with someone, may be anyone. I find it amusing when people say Perez/Grosjean won't be an upgrade on him. It might be true, but did any of us ever think Bottas would keep Hamilton so honest in a Merc? Ferrari have tried keeping him, they might as well try someone else now. I find all this warming the seat for Leclerc/Giovinazzi talk juvenile. Also, Verstappen and Ricciardo might stick with RBR beyond 2019 as well.. It will all depend on the car.
I think VER and RIC will both stay at RBR until the one of them wins a title and then the loser will be off to pastures new...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Kimi can't cope for the same reason that no Scandinavian driver (except Kimi) has ever coped ......

their super 'car control' has prevented them understanding that an understeering car can lap quicker as more and earlier power can be applied
this iirc is what Niki Lauda said of Ronnie Peterson
Prost and Alonso made a good living doing this

why is it always implied that hanging the tail out shows a fast driver ? - (but hanging the front out doesn't)
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 23 Jul 2017, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

So how about Hakkinen?

*a driver i still miss in F1 today. He was phenomenal to look at. Being able to beat Schumacher just shows how good of a driver he was.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

well, I forgot about him
ever since I had inside information that the car would be unbeatable, and so bet lavishly on D.C.

NathanOlder

Bet on DC while in the same car as Mika haha. 1997 was easy to see Mika had the pace advantage, just had way more bad luck.

Dc always reminds me of the opposite of Alonso. He's a crap driver but always ended up in a great car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Tommy Cookers wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 19:30
well, I forgot about him
ever since I had inside information that the car would be unbeatable, and so bet lavishly on D.C.
how was the car unbeatable?

NathanOlder

It was unbeatable because someone who worked at Mclaren told him. And that someone also knew that any other team couldn't go faster and wouldn't be able to out develop Mclaren in time.

Obviously :-)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Alonsofor2017
Alonsofor2017

My predicted line up:

Ferrari: vettel, Alonso ( only viable replacement for raikonnen and too many points Lost in constructors)

Mercedes: hamilton (will take a sabbatical in 2019 then go ferrari ), Bottas

Mclaren: vandoorne, raikonnen/button (need experience alongside vandoorne)

Red Bull: verstappen( could Mercedes in 2019) Riccardo (could go Ferrari 2019)

Toro Rosso: gazly, kvyat

Renault: hulkenberg sainz

Sauber: wehrlein and a Honda driver

Force one: Perez ocon

Williams: stroll, massa/ raikkonen/ button

Haas: gro mag

ScottB
ScottB

I'll be stunned if Button comes back, just can't see it.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

After his Monaco crash Button apparently asked the stewards to ban him for life. To me that's a pretty clear indication he's done here.

(Source: Either Sky Sports or BBC Radio 5 live session broadcast.)

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 21:10
Dc always reminds me of the opposite of Alonso. He's a crap driver but always ended up in a great car.
I always remember the joke advert in Viz magazine: A commemorative plate celebrating DC's 10 years of mediocrity in F1. There was a quote from Ron Dennis that it also cracks under pressure, just like the real thing.