[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

LVDH wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 07:21
Please send me your case. Next time try copy pasting the error message and use the Q&A section on the challenge page. It will help others with similar issues.

I have just checked and can tell you that I have received a number of cars. I cannot wait to check them all out. I have seen some because of support questions but Variante and JJR are always very quiet, so lets see.

Also there will be a very big change in CFD software. As there were so many complaints about the Docker version of OF I have switched to using this version:
http://bluecfd.github.io/Core/
I hope to roll out the new software tomorrow. It was a lot of work, but it should make things easier and more reliable. So while you are waiting you can install this new version of OF, it takes a while but there is nothing you can do wrong. On Linux you will switch to OF 4.1.
Hi, thanks, i will send it later today

This is good news about the new software. Will you carry out the official simulations with this new software or with the current docker version?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 11:50
It's blueCFD-Core 2016-1 for windows? Can I use OF 4.1 on OSX too?
Yes to blueCFD, and if you can make OF and my software work on OSX, have fun. I cannot support OSX.
The cases in OF1606+ and 4.1 are setup slightly different. So until I release the software you can only make sure to have a working installation of OF.

Alonso Fan wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 12:14
LVDH wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 07:21
Please send me your case. Next time try copy pasting the error message and use the Q&A section on the challenge page. It will help others with similar issues.

I have just checked and can tell you that I have received a number of cars. I cannot wait to check them all out. I have seen some because of support questions but Variante and JJR are always very quiet, so lets see.

Also there will be a very big change in CFD software. As there were so many complaints about the Docker version of OF I have switched to using this version:
http://bluecfd.github.io/Core/
I hope to roll out the new software tomorrow. It was a lot of work, but it should make things easier and more reliable. So while you are waiting you can install this new version of OF, it takes a while but there is nothing you can do wrong. On Linux you will switch to OF 4.1.
Hi, thanks, i will send it later today

This is good news about the new software. Will you carry out the official simulations with this new software or with the current docker version?
The current race will be conducted with the current MFlow MVRC version, I think it is 2017.4.
The next ones will then be done with the new version.

rjsa

I have been using OSX all the time. Just need to be sure OF 4.1 is the right version.

That test case, cavity, will be compatible and do the job testing the installation?

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 10:59
Hi I have not tested it on MVRC cars yet. But the numbers will slightly change and what I have seen in the other test cases is that the new OF seems to be a bit more stable, which is always good.
Ok, are the instructions to use in the command windows changed?

LVDH

Using MantiumFlow in command will not change. YOu will have to configure it so it will know about the new OF version. I am still thinking about the most elegat way to do it for you guys. I will keep the old version working as well, although I then do not want to support it anymore. But for those, who got it working it will be possible to continue that way.
The OF commands in the runCase script change. That is why I did not update it for so long. Only last week I did so.

CAEdevice

Ok. Last question: Race01 simulations will be run with of 1606+?

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 12:27
I have been using OSX all the time. Just need to be sure OF 4.1 is the right version.

That test case, cavity, will be compatible and do the job testing the installation?
Best is probably to use one of the tutorials provided with the installation.

CAEdevice wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 20:30
Ok. Last question: Race01 simulations will be run with of 1606+?
LVDH wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 12:23
The current race will be conducted with the current MFlow MVRC version, I think it is 2017.4.
The next ones will then be done with the new version.
The first simulations are done and worked fine.

LVDH

Hi guys, while you are waiting for the images and the cars of the first race, I have something for you. As you might know, MantiumFlow is also used for other purposes than MVRC. I use it for my CFD consulting projects. One of the first professional users was actually Variante's Formula Student team Dynamis PRC. I supplied them with a full version of the software. Today I received an email about the first results. You can find something here:
http://mantiumcae.com/dynamis-prc-score ... -melegari/

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 15:55
Hi guys, while you are waiting for the images and the cars of the first race, I have something for you. As you might know, MantiumFlow is also used for other purposes than MVRC. I use it for my CFD consulting projects. One of the first professional users was actually Variante's Formula Student team Dynamis PRC. I supplied them with a full version of the software. Today I received an email about the first results. You can find something here:
Well done Variante and MantiumCAE

MadMatt

Quick question guys, what is the wind speed of the CFD simulation?

CAEdevice

MadMatt wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 16:32
I have just noticed that DyneRace is among the teams on the MVRC website. I am happy to have you in the challenge again.

CAEdevice

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 16:07
LVDH wrote:
I was wondering which are the differences between MfFow full and MFlow for MVRC.

MadMatt

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 22:23
MadMatt wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 16:32
I have just noticed that DyneRace is among the teams on the MVRC website. I am happy to have you in the challenge again.
Thank you Matteo. However for now I have not yet started working on the car. If I manage to really get to work on the car I will probably first enter the introductory class in order to gain some knowledge because it has been a long time I didn't do anything car-related, and things have evolved! :)

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 23:02
CAEdevice wrote:
25 Jul 2017, 16:07
LVDH wrote:
I was wondering which are the differences between MfFow full and MFlow for MVRC.
Many, there will soon be a cool homepage about that. Variante's team for example needed a fan disk to model fans. The MVRC edition is very stripped out. You can only simulate MVRC cars with it, as the wheel base is for example fixed. The full version can do much more external aerodynamics cases such as bikes, UAVs.... but also internal flow simulations.

Enough of that....

There is a brand new version of MantiumFlow MVRC edition. The main update concerns the switch to using OF 4.1. On Windows now the blueCFD version of OF is supported. This will make working under Windows much easier. You can download it from the challenge page. Please take notice of the installation instructions found in the README file. The impatient can read them here:
MantiumFlow MVRC Edition now supports blueCFD by FSD blueCAPE Lda. This is a great way to install OF on Windows.
Please download and install blueCFD-Core 2016-1:
http://bluecfd.github.io/Core/Downloads/

After that a patch needs to be applied:
https://github.com/blueCFD/Core/issues/ ... -280668077
Download the quick-batch-package.zip and extract the files into the blueCFD installation.