Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kptaylor

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Alonsofor2017 wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 00:38
My predicted line up:

Ferrari: vettel, Alonso ( only viable replacement for raikonnen and too many points Lost in constructors)

Mercedes: hamilton (will take a sabbatical in 2019 then go ferrari ), Bottas

Mclaren: vandoorne, raikonnen/button (need experience alongside vandoorne)

Red Bull: verstappen( could Mercedes in 2019) Riccardo (could go Ferrari 2019)

Toro Rosso: gazly, kvyat

Renault: hulkenberg sainz

Sauber: wehrlein and a Honda driver

Force one: Perez ocon

Williams: stroll, massa/ raikkonen/ button

Haas: gro mag
Agree with most but not Sauber. Ericsson has too many backers there for them to drop him. Think Wehrlein is out unless Mercedes puts him in another team with an engine deal. He hasn't impressed.

f1universe

ChrisDanger wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 06:03
After his Monaco crash Button apparently asked the stewards to ban him for life. To me that's a pretty clear indication he's done here.

(Source: Either Sky Sports or BBC Radio 5 live session broadcast.)
That was a joke.... probably :lol:

OneAlex

Was anyone else surprised by Kvyat putting pressure on Red Bull to confirm his Toro Rosso seat next year quickly? Even considering the rumours about Sainz switching teams it seemed awfully bold considering his recent form.

Until a few weeks ago I wasn't sure Kvyat would even last the season with Gasly waiting in the wings, short of some Russian influence keeping him there. Now he seems confident he'll be driving in 2018.

ME4ME

OneAlex wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 19:43
Was anyone else surprised by Kvyat putting pressure on Red Bull to confirm his Toro Rosso seat next year quickly? Even considering the rumours about Sainz switching teams it seemed awfully bold considering his recent form.

Until a few weeks ago I wasn't sure Kvyat would even last the season with Gasly waiting in the wings, short of some Russian influence keeping him there. Now he seems confident he'll be driving in 2018.
He needs to know if he'll be without a Toro Rosso seat so that he can start working on another seat at another team. Not very that surprising he doesn't want to end up like Buemi / Alguersuari.

Personally I'm not convinced that Red Bull is convinced that Gasly is any better than Kvyat. Additionally look at how much most rookies have struggeled this year. Red Bull might not want to weaken Toro Rosso while the Red Bull seats are occupied anyway.

dren

ringo wrote:
20 Jul 2017, 07:55
Bottas will slide into the next ferrari seat. Vettel is an easier driver to beat than Hamilton, and Ferrari will be more likely to give Bottas a long term deal than Mercedes will.
Bottas also has the wins under his belt, and i believe that ferrari only selects winning drivers with the exception of drivers who have driven with ferrari power for years (Massa pre 2006).
Bottas ticks all the boxes to be a good and reliable ferrari driver. He will be the one that's had enough uncertainty from mercedes.
After he jumps ship, Alonso will poke his head into the mercedes shop and at that time Hamilton's confidence will be high enough, and his boredom will be such that he would relish fighting alonso for another title.

With all that said, Bottas has the key to the 2018 driver Market; not Alonso.
I like this Ringo, it even is fairly believable.
Honda!

OneAlex

ME4ME wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 20:04
He needs to know if he'll be without a Toro Rosso seat so that he can start working on another seat at another team. Not very that surprising he doesn't want to end up like Buemi / Alguersuari.

Personally I'm not convinced that Red Bull is convinced that Gasly is any better than Kvyat. Additionally look at how much most rookies have struggeled this year. Red Bull might not want to weaken Toro Rosso while the Red Bull seats are occupied anyway.
Realistically I'm not sure where else he could go... There doesn't seem much place for him on the grid outside of TR as most other teams either seem set with their drivers or looking elsewhere. Renault perhaps. If not I imagine he'd be looking at other series.

In terms of his talent compared to Gasly, I'll admit I don't know how they would compare. But in the past Red Bull have been more cutthroat with drivers who aren't measuring up than they have been with Kvyat given they DO have drivers in the pipeline to give the chance to, so I just thought Danii's tone was surprisingly bullish.

Vasconia

Alonsofor2017 wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 00:38
My predicted line up:

Ferrari: vettel, Alonso ( only viable replacement for raikonnen and too many points Lost in constructors)

Mercedes: hamilton (will take a sabbatical in 2019 then go ferrari ), Bottas

Mclaren: vandoorne, raikonnen/button (need experience alongside vandoorne)

Red Bull: verstappen( could Mercedes in 2019) Riccardo (could go Ferrari 2019)

Toro Rosso: gazly, kvyat

Renault: hulkenberg sainz

Sauber: wehrlein and a Honda driver

Force one: Perez ocon

Williams: stroll, massa/ raikkonen/ button

Haas: gro mag
I would like to see Sainz in Renault, but taking into account that Kubika´s return is becoming more real I am afraid that Carlos will have problems to find a seat.

adrianjordan

f1universe wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 17:18
ChrisDanger wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 06:03
After his Monaco crash Button apparently asked the stewards to ban him for life. To me that's a pretty clear indication he's done here.

(Source: Either Sky Sports or BBC Radio 5 live session broadcast.)
That was a joke.... probably :lol:
Maybe, maybe not. I agree though that I think he's done with F1.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

Mercedes : Lewis + Bottas
Ferrari : Vettel + Raikkonen
RedBull : Ricciardo + Verstappen
Force India : Perez + Ocon
Williams : Stroll + Massa
Haas : Grosjean + Magnussen
Toro Rosso : Gasly + Niko Kari
Mclaren : Alonso + VanDoorne
Sauber : Matsushita + Ericsson
Renault : Hulkenberg + Kubica

highlighted the driver changes. apart from these 4 drivers, things will stay the same driver-wise.
Sauber will take Honda engines.

that means the following drivers are out:

Sainz, Kvyat, Palmer, Wehrlein [reserve driver for Mercedes or Williams].
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ringo

How about:

Mercedes : Lewis + Alonso (1 yr)
Ferrari : Vettel + Bottas( 2 yr)
Williams : Stroll + Wheirlin (1 yr to take alonso or Lewis seat if he does ok)
Toro Rosso : Sainz (gone after contract) + Gasly
Mclaren : Raikonen (1 yr) + VanDoorne
Renault : Hulkenberg + Kyvat (2 year with russian backing like petrov)

Out: Massa, Palmer
For Sure!!

Pramesi

ringo wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 19:02
How about:

Mercedes : Lewis + Alonso (1 yr)
Ferrari : Vettel + Bottas( 2 yr)
Williams : Stroll + Wheirlin (1 yr to take alonso or Lewis seat if he does ok)
Toro Rosso : Sainz (gone after contract) + Gasly
Mclaren : Raikonen (1 yr) + VanDoorne
Renault : Hulkenberg + Kyvat (2 year with russian backing like petrov)

Out: Massa, Palmer
Perhaps swap Sainz with Kvyat and you'd be spot on. Any thoughts on why Raikkonen might move to McLaren?

Gerhardsa

I like Ringo's prediction, however, by the end of next week, I think Renault will be Hulk and Kubica, for 2017 already.
TR will stay the same as now. Saintz and Kvyat.
I just don't know who to put in the 2nd McLaren seat. and I am a bit uncertain about Wheirlin and Massa due to Martini's 25 years of age thing (which is stupid seeing that most places around the world, drinking age is between 18 and 21).

So mine are:
Mercedes : Lewis + Alonso
Ferrari : Vettel + Bottas
Williams : Stroll + Wheirlin
Toro Rosso : Sainz + Kvyat
Mclaren : VanDoorne +
Sauber : Matsushita + Ericsson (If they go to Honda) Erricson + LeClerk (if they stay with Ferrari)

Phil

Martini wont accept Stroll and Wehrlein as mentioned earlier in this topic... keep puzzling guys :P
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

denisjp

Gerhardsa wrote: So mine are:
Mercedes : Lewis + Alonso
Ferrari : Vettel + Bottas
Williams : Stroll + Wheirlin
Toro Rosso : Sainz + Kvyat
Mclaren : VanDoorne +
Sauber : Matsushita + Ericsson (If they go to Honda) Erricson + LeClerk (if they stay with Ferrari)
Matsushita is not really a choice for Sauber. He doesn't have enough points to get the Superlicence. Unless FIA makes an exception - and I can't see any reasons for doing this - he won't be in F1 next year.

Manoah2u

Who is Wheirlin?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"