2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

WILLIAMS NOT YET READY TO COMMIT TO 2018 DRIVER LINE-UP

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2017/ ... iver-line/

Williams Martini Racing say they are not holding any contract negotiations yet for the 2018 Formula 1 season, putting its focus on the 2017 Constructor’s Championship instead.

A combination of patchy results, including some recent difficult qualifying performances that immediately leave the team on the back foot, and a strong start to the season by immediate competitors, the Sahara Force India F1 Team, has seen Williams pick up only 41 points this season, compared to their rivals 95 points. The points gap between the two teams bigger now than it was at the end of last season.

It is looking like a tricky path to catch and surpass Force India to take the coveted fourth place in the Constructors’ Championship, but Williams’ Deputy Team Principal Claire Williams said that the team wouldn’t be engaging in any distractions that could hinder the team’s hunt for points.

“For us, we’ve decided we’re going to hold off a bit on our driver decision,” said Williams. “We’ve got a fight on our hands on the race track at the moment and to be distracted by those kinds of conversations isn’t something that we want to be happening at the moment.”

Rumours are rife, and it’s rumours that former retiree Felipe Massa is supposedly looking for a two-year contract, despite having retired at the end of last season. His return to the team following Valtteri Bottas’ departure was on a one-year deal, which will run out at the end of the season.

It’s understood that Williams are also keen to keep Lance Stroll, whose father Lawrence brings significant financial backing. The eighteen-year-old Canadian had a difficult introduction to Formula 1, but has seemed to have found form, which has included his first Formula 1 podium at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

SchuMassa

LookBackTime wrote:
22 Jul 2017, 23:01
WILLIAMS NOT YET READY TO COMMIT TO 2018 DRIVER LINE-UP

http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2017/ ... iver-line/

Williams Martini Racing say they are not holding any contract negotiations yet for the 2018 Formula 1 season, putting its focus on the 2017 Constructor’s Championship instead.

A combination of patchy results, including some recent difficult qualifying performances that immediately leave the team on the back foot, and a strong start to the season by immediate competitors, the Sahara Force India F1 Team, has seen Williams pick up only 41 points this season, compared to their rivals 95 points. The points gap between the two teams bigger now than it was at the end of last season.

It is looking like a tricky path to catch and surpass Force India to take the coveted fourth place in the Constructors’ Championship, but Williams’ Deputy Team Principal Claire Williams said that the team wouldn’t be engaging in any distractions that could hinder the team’s hunt for points.

“For us, we’ve decided we’re going to hold off a bit on our driver decision,” said Williams. “We’ve got a fight on our hands on the race track at the moment and to be distracted by those kinds of conversations isn’t something that we want to be happening at the moment.”

Rumours are rife, and it’s rumours that former retiree Felipe Massa is supposedly looking for a two-year contract, despite having retired at the end of last season. His return to the team following Valtteri Bottas’ departure was on a one-year deal, which will run out at the end of the season.

It’s understood that Williams are also keen to keep Lance Stroll, whose father Lawrence brings significant financial backing. The eighteen-year-old Canadian had a difficult introduction to Formula 1, but has seemed to have found form, which has included his first Formula 1 podium at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
From Massa's perspective, securing a two-year deal would be a wise thing to do - with Paddy and Dirk de Beer on board, plus considering the heavy investment from Stroll Sr., the best is yet to come.

Manoah2u

Agreed. It's easy thinking for Massa, but the question is, does Williams feel the same?
If Williams is looking for results and quality, then it should be just as easy.

Massa is still very fast, calm, controlled, keeps getting more experienced, still is very motivated, a leader figure, and a great guy to work with,
and seemingly, he has no problems with working with Stroll - though i must say, Stroll seems like a level-headed guy too, not some hotheaded diva [ala werhlein].

The fact they haven't signed seems to me to suggest they might be looking for MORE money. I don't know through which driver though, perhaps Nasr makes a comeback,
perhaps Kvyat, who knows. I think that would be very unwise, but well, i'm not running a multi-million dollar f1 foray with hundreds of people to think about.

Still, i think the Massa-Stroll combination is good enough for now. Not much pressure for Stroll, and quite frankly, not much for Massa either. I'd say perfect circumstances.
And indeed, the money being thrown at the team thanks to daddy Stroll, should show an improvement for the team. So better stick around, where else can he go?
Surely not Mercedes, Ferrari is a no go either way, Mclaren is not an option right now, so only Renault could potentially be interesting. But then you'd throw yourself under
a busload of stress to cope with. Williams for the coming 2, 3 years is absolutely the perfect place for Massa. with a minor chance of a race win.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LookBackTime

Peter Windsor mentioned this weekend Perez to be in cards to move to Williams.
It is just a rumor, but it is intresting.
He will bring talent and money.

Manoah2u

Peter Windsor talks out of his behind.

There is no way he's going there. He's absolutely fine in Force India, Williams would be a step down, with no prospects of improvement.
Thanks to the presence of Stroll. Perez is exactly the kind of hothead not to pair to Stroll. I think Ocon could even handle it, not Sergio.

Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, Mclaren. all places i could see him go and excell. Including staying at Force India.
Williams? no. That team is right now like Sauber for Ericsson. It's not Williams GP, it's Stroll GP.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sevach

The market is just not very good for the type of driver Williams wants to pair up with Stroll, Perez is not happening, neither is Hulkenberg... Grosjean is highly unlikely as well.
If you get rid of Massa you are gonna end up with Kvyat or Wehrlein(or worst... Ericsson) most likely and Felipe is using this as leverage.

One weird possibility that's really out there is Mr Kimi Raikkonen, in case Ferrari replaces him and he's not ready to retire.
Last edited by Sevach on 24 Jul 2017, 05:34, edited 2 times in total.

FrukostScones

one thing is certain, MAS won't stay, and STR will stay.
PER could make sense for Williams.
Wehrlein will go to Williams with Merc Mio$ if Sauber won't take Mercedes engines in 2018.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SchuMassa

FrukostScones wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 19:53
one thing is certain, MAS won't stay, and STR will stay.
PER could make sense for Williams.
Wehrlein will go to Williams with Merc Mio$ if Sauber won't take Mercedes engines in 2018.
Massa's making the most out of it, Wehrlein couldn't do any better. Plus Stroll still needs some mentoring.

LookBackTime

https://twitter.com/f1fanatic_co_uk/sta ... 4522075136
"The current McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team reserve driver was interviewed by news channel CNN for their programme The Circuit and mentioned, “I’ve almost rejoined Williams three or four times! I spoke to Williams about racing this year a couple of times. I spoke to them last year and I spoke to them this year as well, but for me it was time."

Sevach

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f2-r ... ce-934289/

Luca Ghiotto will test for Williams in Hungary.

LookBackTime

Lidl is the new sponsor!