F1 3D airflow

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
LookBackTime

F1 3D airflow

F1 3D airflow - the new era is upon us! (1/2)

Description
Willem Toet, one of the world's leading aerodynamicists, discusses with Craig Scarborough our latest, ground-breaking, 3D airflow animation. The car is the McLaren MCL32-Honda; the operative word is vorticity!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/video/mai ... 1-2-94935/

F1 3D airflow - the new era is upon us! (2/2)

Description
Part two of our innovative, exclusive 3D airflow video. Willem Toet, who played a major role in ultra-successful design teams at Benetton and Ferrari, can't hide his enthusiasm for the shapes created by modern F1 aerodynamics - and the way we have animated them. Willem is in conversation with our regular technical analyst, Craig Scarborough

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/video/mai ... 94936/?s=2

OO7
OO7

Re: F1 3D airflow

Excellent videos. I just wish they were longer.

strad

Great video ... Thank You
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

I have the utmost respect for Scarbs, but Toet seems like he would easily jump into a 3 hour lecture, and Craig continuously stops him. I understand time constraints, but I can only imagine what the 90 minute version that this could have been...

Craig, any possibility to just turn the camera on and let him educate the masses?

scarbs

The video ended up being twice as long as directed, hence the two part format!
Such is his knowledge and enthusiasm. Any conversation with Willem winds off into fascinating tangents.
Willem already has one his full talks on youtube, we are planning on filming one of these for Motorsport.tv

jjn9128

Has he retired the bow ties?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jersey Tom

Nicely done, Craig. Good balance of accessibility and technical merit. Fun seeing someone genuinely excited about the science.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

scarbs

jjn9128 wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 16:06
Has he retired the bow ties?
He was on a day off from the bow ties, but did offer to bring one!

Zynerji

scarbs wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 14:58
The video ended up being twice as long as directed, hence the two part format!
Such is his knowledge and enthusiasm. Any conversation with Willem winds off into fascinating tangents.
Willem already has one his full talks on youtube, we are planning on filming one of these for Motorsport.tv
Sitting him down with some CAD guys for a few weeks, running Sims, then doing a 2 hour special where he shows a front to back aero philosophy, would be truly epic.

I feel that most people believe they understand the basics of this Air-Bending, but to understand the detail compromises would be fantastic, and would probably pull a million+ hits on YouTube...

Edit: Also, you could then make the model available for download into games like rFactor2 and AC. Good branding with a few hundreds thousand more hits..

jjn9128

scarbs wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 14:58
we are planning on filming one of these for Motorsport.tv
Agree with others, the more the better! Willem obviously has an incredible wealth of knowledge but he is also naturally engaging, unlike a lot of engineers (myself included), which makes you want to listen to him.

Just get him back in the bow tie, it's not right without it.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Powerslide

Zynerji wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 00:11
I have the utmost respect for Scarbs, but Toet seems like he would easily jump into a 3 hour lecture, and Craig continuously stops him. I understand time constraints, but I can only imagine what the 90 minute version that this could have been...

Craig, any possibility to just turn the camera on and let him educate the masses?
toet has a lecture at a university on race aerodynamics and its on youtube
speed

garyjpaterson

Much cooler than I'd expected, really helped with Willems knowledge and massive enthusiasm! I love how excited he gets seeing the animations, thats when you know you've done a good job!

Zynerji

Powerslide wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 23:07
Zynerji wrote:
05 Aug 2017, 00:11

toet has a lecture at a university on race aerodynamics and its on youtube
Those ramble at times. Craig has a great way of keeping the subject organized and moving. Toet and Scarbs on a 3hr front to back design format would be a $50 Blu-ray that I would purchase.