2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Del Boy wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 12:37
Manoah2u wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 01:17
Nah, he's got a book ready to burn them to the ground. He's loyal as far as his career benefits from it.

The moment Ferrari becomes really interesting, and could provide him with a WDC car and a good offer he's off to the reds before anybody could even see it coming.
He'll get all the tifosi on his side with a single win, and within months when Mercedes critizes him Ferrari reads the book and says publish it, though i think the book above all will be a nice extra retirement funds when his music and off-motorsports career will not go as planned.

You might think Hamilton is not interested at all in Mclaren, and to a degree offcourse he isn't as he's in a WDC car doing fine. No need to be bothered by Mclaren's trouble.
But when the Honda suddenly spews dragonfire and blasts hp like in the Senna days, we're off to something very different. Especially if you'd see Alonso as 'Prost' there.
McLaren don't want him back. He was quick in the car but a complete distraction to the 'Team'. His set-up work was average to poor and never improved. His feedback was limited and would often want to go in the wrong direction. The team were never happy at the number of guests (Rapper friends) he used to bring into the garage and the constant whining about keeping trophies was silly.
And I used to really like Lewis!
that's the biggest rubbish i've ever read about Hamilton @ Mclaren.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 03:53
People keep ragging on Vandoorne, but McLaren who knows better than all our armchair experts put together still has a lot of faith in him being a future world champion. I don't get the same feeling that Perez or Magnussen had during their brief spell there. Comparing a rookie against arguably the best driver on the grid would never flatter him, but his race pace in clean air is very good, again McLaren see more than we do, downvoting me and telling me I'm wrong won't change that.

"Yes, we are happy with Stoffel," confirmed executive Zak Brown.

"He is in a difficult situation next to Fernando and with the reliability problems we've had, but we think Stoffel is a future world champion. We want to go with the same drivers next year."

"He has sucked but lets give him another year cause he's young" is all I've heard in these pages about him. Nobody has really gotten on him in a bad way. He hasn't been the worst driver in F1 this year(2 names Palmer and Kvyat come quickly to mind).

BTW being happy with his progress(which is what Zak is saying) and being happy with him as a finished product are 2 different things.

RS200E

Wazari wrote:
09 Aug 2017, 03:19
godlameroso wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 17:10
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns37095.html

Not sure how reliable this is, but apparently McLaren wants to keep it's current lineup.
Or does Honda want to keep its current lineup?
+1? #-o
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Manoah2u

RS200E wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 20:14
Wazari wrote:
09 Aug 2017, 03:19
godlameroso wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 17:10
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns37095.html

Not sure how reliable this is, but apparently McLaren wants to keep it's current lineup.
Or does Honda want to keep its current lineup?
+1? #-o
Wazari is a hero. he deserves all the upvotes he can get.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

diffuser

Don't you just wish there was a race this weekend ?????

godlameroso

I'm fine with it being 2 weeks from now, gives Honda more time to iron out the next PU.
Saishū kōnā

ClarkBT11

Does Vandoorne get the same opportunity with upgrades to the chassis and engine Alonso does? No...Vandoorne is fighting a uphill battle against Alonso's experience and talent even if he had the same tools available. McLaren is a big enough team to deliver equal opportunities to both drivers, compared to what the other top teams deliver to their drivers. McLaren will develop the car more to Alonso's feedback compared to Vandoorne also. Vandoorne is showing improvements and deserves his seat compared to other drivers on the grid. McLaren can't deliver on pitstops, which doesn't help his results.

Webber2011

All teams will take more advice from a double World Champ than their rookie.

ClarkBT11

Of course they will go with Alonso. The point that I was making is, it will make the car better for Alonso compared Vandoorne which also makes comparing the two drivers performances unequal. Who would question McLarens choice to favour Alonso???

diffuser

ClarkBT11 wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 23:51
Does Vandoorne get the same opportunity with upgrades to the chassis and engine Alonso does? No...Vandoorne is fighting a uphill battle against Alonso's experience and talent even if he had the same tools available. McLaren is a big enough team to deliver equal opportunities to both drivers, compared to what the other top teams deliver to their drivers. McLaren will develop the car more to Alonso's feedback compared to Vandoorne also. Vandoorne is showing improvements and deserves his seat compared to other drivers on the grid. McLaren can't deliver on pitstops, which doesn't help his results.
I like Vandoorne but I think you're just making excuses for him. I hope he works out but right now I don't think the odds are better than 50/50. The best thing Vandoorne has going for him is he's lined up next to ALO. He doesn't need to beat ALO regularly to have a F1 career just get close. LOOk at RAI, he could never get close to ALO and he's still driving for Ferrari.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 16:37
...LOOk at RAI, he could never get close to ALO and he's still driving for Ferrari.
Last race was a good example about the reason he´s still driving for Ferrari :wink: :P

Andres125sx

Webber2011 wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 01:12
All teams will take more advice from a double World Champ than their rookie.
Didn´t happen in 2007 :twisted: #-o

ClarkBT11

diffuser wrote:
12 Aug 2017, 16:37
ClarkBT11 wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 23:51
I like Vandoorne but I think you're just making excuses for him. I hope he works out but right now I don't think the odds are better than 50/50. The best thing Vandoorne has going for him is he's lined up next to ALO. He doesn't need to beat ALO regularly to have a F1 career just get close. LOOk at RAI, he could never get close to ALO and he's still driving for Ferrari.
Not excuses, reality. I'm neutral when it comes to Vandoorne, not fussed easy come easy go. RAI was Ferrari's last WDC comparing him to Vandoorne's situation at the start of his career is like comparing apples and oranges. McLaren need to step up with Honda and give their drivers a decent car which hasn't been the case for over five years. Everything used to be attention to detail, the best on the grid. It looks like that walked out of the door with Mercedes. It's not fair to judge Vandoorne when he's not been given a decent car. I hope McLaren doesn't throw another young talented driver under the bus again.

Manoah2u

It is absolutely fair to judge Vandoorne in a mediocre car, because it doesnt matter if you have a good car or not, you should still perform or atleast beat your teammate.
Especially in a mediocre car you have the easiest opportunity to show what you're worth since there is literally zero pressure.
Drivers like Ericsson, Wehrlein are in the same situation, uninteresting cars BUT they still need to show what they're worth and frankly, they're worthless.
And i see no difference with VanDoorne. If he is unable to perform or show potential in a car that brings zero pressure due to the engine - because really, the car seems great except for the engine, and above all, the atmosphere at Mclaren has changed completely and it seem a much calmer, nicer place to work than when Dennis' famously was so strict and uptight.

So if a homebred driver, given a pluche, satin bed of a moment to enter F1, and doesn't have any pressure or stress because the car he'll be driving has a flawed engine, ànd has a teammate who arguably is one of the best out there, possibly THE, BUT at the same time is rather demotivated too, gets a run @ indy, and in all the season we've seen some great moves by Alonso, but nothing absolutely nothing from VanDoorne, then he's getting snowed under and cracks under non-existant pressure.

you should then ask yourself; if he can't cope like this with a mediocre car, how on EARTH is he going to manage when driving a potentially WDC or winning car?
I would say that would be a huge fail and unfair to the car he'd be driving to have someone that isnt able to get the least potential out of the car, and i would say he's thus holding up a great seat for a great potential.

So i don't share that view at all, i think there is ALL the reason why there is heavy criticism on VanDoorne.
If you can't deal with disappointment in such a early, meaningless point in your career, then really, what to expect?

alexx_88

Don't get why Vandoorne is getting so much stick. Alonso out-qualified and out-raced both Massa and Raikkonen by a couple of tenths per lap, both of them being wdc or wdc contenders with lots of experience. Yet some of you expect more from a rookie in his first year? There are only a couple of drivers on the grid who'd be able to do more, none of them being a rookie