Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Gerhardsa wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 09:10
I kind of hope Ferrari doesn't want to budge, Vet leaves for wherever, and they take Alonso. Its time to see him in a competitive car again before he retires.
Was this not the same game played in 2014? Alonso wanted one year extension and Ferrari wanted 3? And then they had signed Vettel, while Alonso's negotiations were ongoing? Will the reverse-repeat happen?

Gerhardsa

That is the case yeah, and would be funny

Manoah2u

Alonso will be in a competitive Mclaren next year.

Vettel will sign for another year. Ferrari needs him and that's what he offers, end of story.
Vettel aims to see if he can grab the title this year with Ferrari. Actually, whether he does or not, he's got all the reason to not trust Ferrari making another winner.
So it would be smart for Seb to sign just a 1-year deal, so if next year the car disappoints - or if this year he doesn't get the title, he'll take on chance next year and see how it goes.
that way, he can leave Ferrari soon enough to not end up doing another Alonso.
Mercedes is strong, they'll want to keep strong - Vettel would go there surely if Ferrari doesn't work out and Mercedes will have their German driver.
Also, Vettel already managed to get 4 titles in a row. It's not like he's gonna stay at Ferrari at whatever cost to get another title there. He's not got the patience nor the temper
to stay there much longer anyway if he doesn't get the title. I think that's his actual achillesheel right - his actual weakness. If Vettel would calm down a bit, he's nearly unstoppable.

As for Verstappen - sure, Ferrari wants Max. But a good question would be, should Verstappen really want Ferrari ? Same goes for Ricciardo.

Mercedes is the most desireable team on the grid to be at right now in terms of winning and WDC aspirations and chances.
Ferrari has more of an aura around it, the legendary team. But far from a guarantee - far from it. And that's the problem right there, and that's why Vettel won't commit for 3 more years.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

GPR-A wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 09:30
Gerhardsa wrote:
I kind of hope Ferrari doesn't want to budge, Vet leaves for wherever, and they take Alonso. Its time to see him in a competitive car again before he retires.
Was this not the same game played in 2014? Alonso wanted one year extension and Ferrari wanted 3? And then they had signed Vettel, while Alonso's negotiations were ongoing? Will the reverse-repeat happen?
Lol imagine Hamilton going there :lol:
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

GPR-A duplicate2

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 09:51
GPR-A wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 09:30
Gerhardsa wrote:
Lol imagine Hamilton going there :lol:
If anyone other than Alonso knows the frustration of not being in the championship winning car, it is Hamilton. After a good gamble for 2013, he is in a place where he steps on to the circuit, knowing he has a car with which he can get a pole and a win. Ferrari? Not so much. If next year Mercedes manages to iron out the deficiencies of the current car, which he will be driving and would also know where the Ferrari would be, he would then decide what is good for him. I don't think he would want to go to Ferrari, even if they are competitive like they are now.

If Ferrari moves ahead of Mercedes, Vettel would stay and block Hamilton's entry. If Mercedes surges ahead, Hamilton would not leave, but it remains to be seen if Mercedes accommodates Vettel alongside Hamilton for 2019.

Gerhardsa

I doubt Hamilton will race beyond next year, if he wins this years title and maybe next year.

NathanOlder

Vettel wouldn't go to Mercedes if Lewis was there its clear as day how Vettel likes his team mate.

I think If Vettel commits to Ferrari, he will be able to pick his team mate like he does now, so after Kimi I have no idea who he will want.

Definitely not Ricciardo as Vettel knows he's too good. And I'd imagine he wouldn't want Max either as its clear to see his pace.

I hope Ferrari decide to put the best 2 drivers in the car that they can. Vettel and Max, and it will be an awsome show for the fans, even if they are only battling for podiums.

As for Mercedes, Lewis always says he wants a legacy, he can complet that by beating records. So he will stay the whole time Merc are fighting for Titles. As said above, he knows what its like in a team with a poor car, so he will know where to stay or go.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

WaikeCU

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 21:07
Vettel wouldn't go to Mercedes if Lewis was there its clear as day how Vettel likes his team mate.

I think If Vettel commits to Ferrari, he will be able to pick his team mate like he does now, so after Kimi I have no idea who he will want.

Definitely not Ricciardo as Vettel knows he's too good. And I'd imagine he wouldn't want Max either as its clear to see his pace.

I hope Ferrari decide to put the best 2 drivers in the car that they can. Vettel and Max, and it will be an awsome show for the fans, even if they are only battling for podiums.

As for Mercedes, Lewis always says he wants a legacy, he can complet that by beating records. So he will stay the whole time Merc are fighting for Titles. As said above, he knows what its like in a team with a poor car, so he will know where to stay or go.
Doubt Ferrari will listen to Vettel tbh. Lots of promising talents are interested for a seat at Ferrari: Ricciardo, Verstappen, Perez, hell even Sainz would be a mention. Why would Vettel have a say in this? I doubt that Ferrari management would listen to what he needs and says. If Seb doesn't get it this year and next year, then that would be 5 seasons without a single title for Vettel and Ferrari. Ferrari would bring someone in who would be able to bring Vettel under pressure and lift up the spirits within the team.

Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 21:07

Seb has singlehandedly put himself and accordingly so drags Ferrari into shame with his inappropriate hotheaded behavior. Webber mentioned this before, that he has never seen anyone like him when things don't go his way,
and he has had some ferocious spats with Webber before. Now at Ferrari he manages before this season to have been critical on Ferrari, clearly frustrated, and get into wild mad anger behind the steering wheel with alltime lows like his charlie burning during the Mexican GP and this year his behavior during Baku. It's really astonoshing he hasn't gotten DSQ yet, but apart from that, it can't do his relationship with Ferrari much good. I think the only reason things haven't gotten real sour is that he's blazingly fast and putting the Ferrari where they want it, and Ferrari is trying to emulate Schumacher's success with Vettel and that his relationship / friendship with Kimi is why it hasn't gotten explosive. But as of recent races, i sense Kimi isn't really getting happier with the way things are going, so there might be something lingering there.
If Kimi gets replaced by any other driver, things gould go sour reaaaaly fast.

Vettel has nothing to say at Ferrari, but Ferrari DO realise that if they want to grab the WDC and/or WCC title again, they must do something, and with Vettel, they're trying to do a Schumacher [though it must be said i think they tried that with Alonso to, and bombarding Massa to Barrichello status], and if Kimi is the one to keep him calmer or under control, then it's something to concider - but only and purely because Ferrari wants the championship.
They've gotten some wins under their belt again so some pressure will be off.

One might wonder too what will happen when Marchionne is gone and replaced, and also for Arrivabene's future, and how itll impact the team.

I also wonder whether if all the theories are true that Ferrari wants a 3-year commitment from Vettel. On one side, one could think yes because Ferrari is known to have drivers for a long time, and because well, if Vettel is really such a good driver, then perhaps you'd better have him yourself instead of the competition, which surely is why they're eyeing Verstappen. On the other hand, If Vettel contineous to be such a explosive character, then one might wonder.....

skoop

My 2 cents: Merc will keep Bottas and Hamilton will race for three more years after his contract ends. So Vettel has no other choice then Ferrari, which is ok for him, because he doesn't want to leave them.

dren

I expect no moves in the top 3 cars.
Honda!

Manoah2u

We'll surely have a new champion then next year :D

godlameroso

A certain Spaniard who came oh so close 3 times before? I think I'd be ok with that.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

i would be very delighted and excited to see that happen. I would also really, really, really like to see his emotions on that, that must be pure gold.

though i have to admit, i would have really liked to see him achieve that with Ferrari. That really would have been a dream come true, it's still a sad thing that that never happened and rather likely never ever will happen. It would be different and less magic if it somehow did happen with Ferrari in some weird twisted way, but again, that's the past.

As much as i'd love to see Alonso a WDC with Mclaren-Honda, i am sad to say it would always be less magical and less special than Alonso being a WDC with Ferrari [his 3rd title].
But, things don't always go the way one would like to see.

PlatinumZealot

Gerhardsa wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 13:11
I doubt Hamilton will race beyond next year, if he wins this years title and maybe next year.
Why? That's like saying you doubt Messi will play football in 2019! Hamitlon lived his whole life to be in formula 1 and still has aspirations of breaking schumacher's records. As he says he has at least six more years in the sport.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏